The Student Room Group

is this a good decision

im studying macbeth for gcse and i want to invest in a york notes revision guide. i've noticed that they do one for gcse and a level.
i'm tempted to buy the a level one for gcse as it'll have more notes and more in depth analysis.

should i buy the a level one?
Reply 1
I’m Scottish so I do Nat5s and Highers. Last year for N5s I did ‘to kill a mockingbird’ and didn’t have a study guide, however I heavily used sites online. This was when enotes was free and that was good. For online notes I would DEFINITELY recommend litcharts - they do chapter by chapter description and analysis of events, easily laid out and as far as I know FREE. Also Cliffnotes are okay.

This year for higher i invested in the advanced york notes version of Glass Menagerie. However, O haven’t used it much because I have a great teacher and we did some indepth analysis as a class. I wouldn’t say it wasn’t worth the money tho, I still use it for scenes I am not sure of and it has some good insightful comments that I can pop in my essays.

Honestly, I think most of the gcse one you will cover in class and won’t be new info so is probs not worth your money. I think the Alevel one would take your essays to the next level, but be careful you don’t copy any info word for word or write large chunks very similar to the book - this will make it obvious to the examiner that it is not your work. They are familiar with all the textbooks.

So buy the Alevel one but be careful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending