The Student Room Group

The Official 2018 Cambridge Offer Holders Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thewinelake
If you fancy trying your hand at rowing (something I would encourage) then a bike is virtually essential. Or if you’re into some activity that is in a far flung location (eg dance). Otherwise maybe not.

Unfortunately, I don't think I would be tall enough for rowing(I'm unsure whether coxing would be for me either though I am willing to give it a try). I do want to join one or two societies however. I think I'll buy a bike but perhaps not take it/ use it as much the first term and just get a sense of the walking distance from place to place.
Original post by blanej14
Unfortunately, I don't think I would be tall enough for rowing(I'm unsure whether coxing would be for me either though I am willing to give it a try). I do want to join one or two societies however. I think I'll buy a bike but perhaps not take it/ use it as much the first term and just get a sense of the walking distance from place to place.

Goodness me, don't let that put you off!

I'm not saying that you're going to qualify for the college first VIII, but the joy of rowing is to be found in the lower ranks (assuming you're OK with early mornings). It's a great way to make friends, and my best friend (even now) was the stroke of my first term's novice boat. I was persuaded to cox, even though I wasn't that small, but then rowed from the 2nd year (still coxing when others were desperate!).
though I am willing to give it a try

That's the most important bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thewinelake
Goodness me, don't let that put you off!

I'm not saying that you're going to qualify for the college first VIII, but the joy of rowing is to be found in the lower ranks (assuming you're OK with early mornings). It's a great way to make friends, and my best friend (even now) was the stroke of my first term's novice boat. I was persuaded to cox, even though I wasn't that small, but then rowed from the 2nd year (still coxing when others were desperate!).

I suppose there is no harm in trying. Though when I say short, I am well..short--not just for rowing-- 5ft 8 to be precise. I do go to the gym/ weight lift however and will be looking to continue it when I'm up there; I gathered joining my college boat club may be the best way to do this.
I suppose there is no harm in trying. Though when I say short, I am well..short--not just for rowing-- 5ft 8 to be precise. I do go to the gym/ weight lift however and will be looking to continue it when I'm up there; I gathered joining my college boat club may be the best way to do this.

You won't be chucked off a college crew for your height.

But that's also a good height for gymnastics :wink:
5'8 is not particularly short. Fitness and attitude probably more important at college level. You'll probably end up in the bows, but give it a go - I enjoyed it more than I expected.
Original post by r2016
Congratulations! You did very well. Do you apply to Churchill directly or get pooled? I am a prospective student and keen on law. Just wanted to know the reason why u apply to Churchill? I like the accomodation in Churchill , but a bit concern on it's location being a bit far. Thanks

Thank you... no i was fished in the winter pool. Originally, my application was to Robinson. My teachers and I believed i was fished from Churchill as i studied sciences which the college particularly favours. In my opinion, given the recent stats, i would not apply directly because the chances are so slim. Moreover, Churchill has taken too many on this year and the likelihood of being made an offer will be even less likely it would appear. However, if you like Churchill apply... after all if you are good enough you will be pooled and made an offer elsewhere. I wish you the best of luck
Word to the wise (parents) - if you're coming from anywhere west of Cambridge and looking to spend the night somewhere nearby, Cambourne is about 10 miles from Cambridge and has hotels and a few Airbnbs and doesn't get quite the same price bump/availabiltiy squeeze at the start of term as Cambridge. Also worth a mention is Wilko for student essentials. The shop is out by the Grafton Centre and ARU students will have had first dibs but click and collect will save you loading everything into the car...

Nagging: Cycling can be hazardous in Cambridge so please cycle safely, wear a helmet and use lights after dark. If you haven't been on the roads in the UK before, you may want to familiarise youself with the Highway Code, particularly those parts relevant to cyclists. Cambridge also has two bike-sharing schemes (Ofo and Mobike) and you may find these more convenient if you only need to cycle occasionally. Remember that life-altering head injuries can result from minor falls at low speed - buy and wear a helmet.

A quick plug for the welcome events run by the alumni societies around the world -
https://www.alumni.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-university-freshers-events. They can be really helpful in meeting others from your college and/or course to help make sure you know at least some people before you turn up!

Finally, HUGE congratulations again to the incoming students and to their parents/carers/supporters! I can't imagine what it feels like to have your children go away to university, my 3 aren't even in school yet!
(edited 5 years ago)

Don't worry about height, I'm 5 foot 4 and the women's captain of my (admittedly not top class) college boat club. We accept anyone and everyone who's willing to give it a go :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
You won't be chucked off a college crew for your height.

But that's also a good height for gymnastics :wink:

I'm actually very tempted to do gymnastics while I'm not rowing... I wonder if it's possible to do two sports at the same time 🤔
Original post by Steliata
I'm actually very tempted to do gymnastics while I'm not rowing... I wonder if it's possible to do two sports at the same time 🤔

There are free tasters at the start of term :wink:
There are free tasters at the start of term :wink:

Congratulations to all with confirmed places! Enjoy this for the next few weeks! :banana2::banana2::banana2::banana2:

After her first year, my daughter's advice is:

Do a fair amount of the academic prep suggested - it'll help you make a solid start academically. Vital for confidence as much as coping with the workload!

Work out your routine and stick to it. She has a STEM student friend who worked hard around their exhaustive fixed timetable, went dancing every week and then, from time to time, had a big blowout out clubbing with mates.Another friend is a historian who walked around cambridge religiously several times a week and went to several talks and other events, within their college and without. They then fitted their work around these 'fixed' commitments as they could do essay prep and essay writing anytime, anywhere. Yet another reads English Lit and spends a lot of time putting on plays, working hard academically when not casting, rehearsing or delivering performances. Each did very well througout the year and in first year exams.

For the first week meet lots of people,both within your college and in your faculty and at other colleges. The best and easiest way to make friends across the university is to get involved in a Uni-wide club or society. It's also a lot of fun!

Rowing is wonderful but it'll get in the way of your clubbing! :wink:

On a serious note, maybe try one recreational activity you're familiar with. And a second which is completely new to you.

It's ok if you have an intensive and extensive social life, particularly in your first term. It's also ok to make 'just' one good friend and bake cakes with them. (She has two friends who do just this all the time!).

Do make sure you are talking to somebody,about work you find difficult or workload or missing home or just being 'down'. You should be talking to someone: your academic Supervisors, your College Tutor, your friends and the wider college or Uni support network. [My daughter had a rough time for a number of reasons and was helped hugely by a college friend, a friend at another college and her old school mates on social media. (Four old friends at four different universities who nurtured one another - iPhones, tears and eventually laughter.) She was done with Cambridge after four weeks, very, very low and begging to come home for good! Yet four weeks after that she seemed suddenly two years older, wiser and stronger; she became the informal 'lead counsellor' to a number of her new Cambridge friends who needed to talk or just a shoulder to cry on.] It's perfectly normal if you feel you are not coping or you're just unhappy for a while; you really won't be the only one and you will never be alone!

Try the junk food joints and carts around the place - really good around dawn after a good night out!

Good luck!
Unfortunately it can indeed be a tough day. Sorry to hear your son has missed out. Maths is annoying for that C3/C4 A* requirement. So he missed his A* in both Physics and Maths :frown:

Which college was this?

I imagine he has a good insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A bit of an update on this one. My son has just been notified that a remark has now awarded him an A* in Physics. So now he has 2A* and 2A. More than Corpus would have required. Very happy and proud of him :smile:
Original post by MEM928
A bit of an update on this one. My son has just been notified that a remark has now awarded him an A* in Physics. So now he has 2A* and 2A. More than Corpus would have required. Very happy and proud of him :smile:

:yay: and thanks so much for the update! Has he started at his insurance now?
Yes all sorted through freshers week and now the real work begins 😱🤣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending