The Student Room Group

Am I boring?

I'm 18, and I never go out. Simple as that. A few friends persistently ask me to go out with them on a Friday or Saturday night, and despite the fact that I've told them I don't want to, they keep asking me.

The reality is that I've started questioning whether I have a social anxiety disorder or something... I loved house parties when I was with friends, but the idea of going out clubbing doesn't really appeal to me at all.
I don’t think you’re boring just because you don’t want to go out clubbing, your friends should respect that. If you feel like you want to go out but can’t due to social anxiety, then maybe you should speak to someone about that. But otherwise it’s perfectly fine to not want to :smile:
Why would you even stop and think “oh I might have a whole social anxiety” simply cos you don’t like clubbing??? We can’t say if you’re boring or not because that’s subjective but not drinking doesn’t make you boring and it’s quite sad that you even think that.
Normally I'd think yeah you're boring but you did say you liked house parties. What kind of music do you like? When I was younger and first started clubbing I didn't really enjoy it as much and felt self conscious dancing. Then we started going to better clubs and loosening up a bit and now I love it. Especially now I go to clubs that actually cater for my music. I think you should just give it a go, it'll be a new experience and not everyone loves new experiences straight away but after a few more times you'll likely love it. I've had friends at uni who didn't go out and didn't see the fuss at first, and now they're the ones who go out all the time. Unfortunately for you, as you get older you'll find a lot of social events revolve around clubs, so it's just about finding what you like.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18, and I never go out. Simple as that. A few friends persistently ask me to go out with them on a Friday or Saturday night, and despite the fact that I've told them I don't want to, they keep asking me.

The reality is that I've started questioning whether I have a social anxiety disorder or something... I loved house parties when I was with friends, but the idea of going out clubbing doesn't really appeal to me at all.

Being boring is subjective and doesn't depend on how much you go out or what you do. To others, you may be the most interesting person but to some, you may be deemed boring.

I'm like you and I don't like partying and I don't drink either. I don't care if people personally think I'm boring because I enjoy doing what appeals to me and that is what matters most. I don't live my life conforming to what society classes as 'interesting' in order to appease others.
I’m similar to you (I’m 19) in the sense that I don’t go out on Friday or Saturday nights even if people wanted me to especially for something like clubbing.
Throughout school I never went to house party’s because they never appealed to me, I’m more the type that would meet up with friends for a meal or coffee rather than partying but this is only happened in the last year or so.

I’ve sometimes thought I’m boring but I just think what’s the point in doing something that you don’t really want to do, I’m planning on going to uni in the summer so things will most likely change then.

Don’t think your boring just because you don’t go out or want to go clubbing it’s not everyone’s scene find something that you and you friends both enjoy doing.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

You don’t have social anxiety just because you refuse to go out clubbing because you don’t want to.
didn't some of the harry potter actors (daniel radcliffe etc.) say that they hadn't ever been clubbing? I am pretty sure it's for the same reasons as you - just not really their thing, not their kind of music, not an environment they feel comfortable in.

Here are some symptoms of social anxiety I just found on bootsmd:
1.Avoidance of social situations.
2.Physical symptoms of anxiety, including confusion, pounding heart, sweating, shaking, blushing, muscle tension, upset stomach and diarrhoea.

Funnily enough I didn't see a symptom like: "clubbing doesn't feel appealing"

You need to stop trying to fit in with everyone else, and be your own person. Just because you don't want to do something other people want to do it doesnt suddenly mean you're ill or weird or need to be medicated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending