The Student Room Group

Applying whilst working

Hello,

I will be applying for student finance from March to start university full time in September. However, I currently work full time which I will be giving up in September. When I apply, do I need to mention this to Student Finance as it asks for income or will this no long count as I will not be working and funding myself from then? Do I need to mention savings or do these not come under consideration?

Thank you for any help.
Original post by SpuggzUni
Hello,

I will be applying for student finance from March to start university full time in September. However, I currently work full time which I will be giving up in September. When I apply, do I need to mention this to Student Finance as it asks for income or will this no long count as I will not be working and funding myself from then? Do I need to mention savings or do these not come under consideration?

Thank you for any help.

Hi SpuggzUni,

You will not be required to provide your income details when you apply for student finance and we do not consider savings unless you receive taxable income from savings and investments. If you will be over the age of 25 prior to the 1st of September you would be classed as an independent student or if you can provided evidence of self support for 3 years prior to the start of your course you can also be assessed as a independent student.
If you will be under 25 years old then it would be your parent's income details that we would use to assess your Student Finance.
Most student's have some kind of part time work while they are studying to subsidize their income we also do not consider this when assessing your Student Finance.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Thank you for your answer. I will be 25 in June but 24 when I am applying for Student Finance. I don't quite know what applying as an independent student means for me and will that change the amount I am entitled to?
Original post by SpuggzUni
Thank you for your answer. I will be 25 in June but 24 when I am applying for Student Finance. I don't quite know what applying as an independent student means for me and will that change the amount I am entitled to?

Hi SpuggzUni,

If you're under 25 before the start of the academic year you'll normally be classed as a dependent student, this means we'd take your parents income into account. As you'll be 25 at the start of the academic year you'll be classed as an independent student, meaning we won't ask for your parents income. The only income details you'll need to provide are your own 'unearned income' (this doesn't include wages) or if you live with a partner, we'd need their income details.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending