The Student Room Group

will I receive an offer from Edinburgh?

following a rejection from St Andrews today for International relations MA, I am starting to doubt my chances of receiving an offer from Edinburgh. I applied for two courses, Politics MA and Geography with Politics MA, which are considered by different schools, the former the school of political science and the latter by the school of science and engineering.

The entrance requirement at Higher level for IR at St Andrews was AABB, and at Edinburgh for Geography and Politics the typical offer is AAAA and for politics it is AAAAA.

I achieved AAAAA at higher in one sitting and I know I had a great reference and was happy enough with my PS (its just hard to judge what it was really like). Even though I surpassed the entry requirements for both courses at Edinburgh and also met the typical offer, I am worried that due to the rejection from St Andrews I might also be unsuccessful at Edinburgh :frown:

I have received a conditional offer for Manchester for Politics with International relations to get a B in higher politics this year and I also received an unconditional from Glasgow for Politics. However, Edinburgh for politics is my top choice!

Please tell me what you think and what chance I've got! Thank you, Ailie
Original post by Ailie
following a rejection from St Andrews today for International relations MA, I am starting to doubt my chances of receiving an offer from Edinburgh. I applied for two courses, Politics MA and Geography with Politics MA, which are considered by different schools, the former the school of political science and the latter by the school of science and engineering.

The entrance requirement at Higher level for IR at St Andrews was AABB, and at Edinburgh for Geography and Politics the typical offer is AAAA and for politics it is AAAAA.

I achieved AAAAA at higher in one sitting and I know I had a great reference and was happy enough with my PS (its just hard to judge what it was really like). Even though I surpassed the entry requirements for both courses at Edinburgh and also met the typical offer, I am worried that due to the rejection from St Andrews I might also be unsuccessful at Edinburgh :frown:

I have received a conditional offer for Manchester for Politics with International relations to get a B in higher politics this year and I also received an unconditional from Glasgow for Politics. However, Edinburgh for politics is my top choice!

Wow... Really surprised you were rejected from St.A tbh! You have absolutely every chance of getting into Edinburgh and more. Each institution is different I suppose, so perhaps St.A didn't think you were suited for their style of teaching or something along those lines. Perhaps you can request feedback?

I'm also a St.Andrews IR applicant this year and I haven't had a response yet. May I ask where you're from? (Scottish student here)
Original post by Ailie

I got into History/Italian with ABB. If ye're not getting in with 5As at HL I'll be damned.
Original post by Ailie

ah consolidations to you, my little brother got rejected today from St Andrews and he had good scores as well (6 As incl. 4 Band 1s). But don't worry, St Andrews and Edinburgh have different admission standards so just because one rejects you doesn't mean the other will.
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m pretty sure it’s up to Edinburgh not us :wink:
have faith.
Reply 6
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Wow... Really surprised you were rejected from St.A tbh! You have absolutely every chance of getting into Edinburgh and more. Each institution is different I suppose, so perhaps St.A didn't think you were suited for their style of teaching or something along those lines. Perhaps you can request feedback?

I'm also a St.Andrews IR applicant this year and I haven't had a response yet. May I ask where you're from? (Scottish student here)

Also a scottish applicant here!! Best of luck for St Andrews! IS that your first choice?
Original post by Ailie
Also a scottish applicant here!! Best of luck for St Andrews! IS that your first choice?

Thank you:smile: Nah, Glasgow is my top choice because I love the city, however, Edinburgh would be my second choice if given an offer. I live very close to St.Andrews and I don't think I could bare 4 more years in St.Andrews. I've got my Glasgow offer for History/Politics. Edinburgh takes a long time though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending