The Student Room Group

I’m on the verge of a complete breakdown

Basically my parents only care about grades. They expect me to achieve straight As at A level and quite honestly I’m feeling the pressure. It’s horrible. I’ve had my phone taken off me, I can’t go out with friends, I can’t do hobbies I love anymore. Everything has taken a backseat apart from results, they don’t care about my wellbeing at all. I’ve tried all ways of explaining and it’s not working... I can’t deal at all. I don’t know who to turn to, reading from a textbook for 10h a day is destroying me. I just can’t anymore.
Hey, I'm here for you if you ever need to talk

It's okay to take a break once in a while, and your parents seem to be controlling which is frustrating. If you can talk to them and maybe explain how hard it is, then try. I guess try and be as assertive as you can, but if they don't listen you can always talk to childline online. I'd highly recommend trying to talk to a teacher about stuff, trust me, don't undermine how powerful pastoral support is.

Try do something you like, I know you said you can't, but perhaps is there something that can make it any easier? Like reading a book you love or taking a bath? It's the little things that matter.

What year are you in? And I'm in year 12 :smile: do pm me if you need it
Reply 2
Discuss with your parents that you need appropriate breaks from studying, and that your grades aren't the only thing that will help you get in to your desired university. Explain that your hobbies are also part of your application process, and regular breaks will help you study better.
from my mom: tell to your parents that you can spend a lot of time doing nothing but pretending you study, you can create the illusion you read a book but actually thinking in the clouds, somewhere else, you could lie them you work very hard; ask them if they would be happy.
They should trust you that you are responsible for your future and you will do your best.

This was said by my mom. Show this to your parents.

Personally, when I was in my A Level, my parents permitted me everything, phone, social life, hobbies, and I ended up with 5 A*, because I could not imagine making them dissapointed.
Good luck!
Original post by btecbiochemistry
Hey, I'm here for you if you ever need to talk

It's okay to take a break once in a while, and your parents seem to be controlling which is frustrating. If you can talk to them and maybe explain how hard it is, then try. I guess try and be as assertive as you can, but if they don't listen you can always talk to childline online. I'd highly recommend trying to talk to a teacher about stuff, trust me, don't undermine how powerful pastoral support is.

Try do something you like, I know you said you can't, but perhaps is there something that can make it any easier? Like reading a book you love or taking a bath? It's the little things that matter.

What year are you in? And I'm in year 12 :smile: do pm me if you need it

Thank you for your support ❤️ And yes, I’m Year 12 too
Original post by the_queen
from my mom: tell to your parents that you can spend a lot of time doing nothing but pretending you study, you can create the illusion you read a book but actually thinking in the clouds, somewhere else, you could lie them you work very hard; ask them if they would be happy.
They should trust you that you are responsible for your future and you will do your best.

This was said by my mom. Show this to your parents.

Personally, when I was in my A Level, my parents permitted me everything, phone, social life, hobbies, and I ended up with 5 A*, because I could not imagine making them dissapointed.
Good luck!

Well done on your results, they’re impeccable! And aha tell your mother thank you from me
Sorry to hear this.

Tell your parents you are trying your best and other things matter too which will aid your education and well being such as going out, having your phone etc.

I agree talk to your teacher or pastoral care about this stuff.

Take care and good luck :smile:
become a hikkikomori
I'm here for you. Tell them your productivity is going down and you can't retain the information without breaks and relaxing your mind.

Even then remember that you haven't got long till you are done
Reply 9
Original post by dogsinadais
Basically my parents only care about grades. They expect me to achieve straight As at A level and quite honestly I’m feeling the pressure. It’s horrible. I’ve had my phone taken off me, I can’t go out with friends, I can’t do hobbies I love anymore. Everything has taken a backseat apart from results, they don’t care about my wellbeing at all. I’ve tried all ways of explaining and it’s not working... I can’t deal at all. I don’t know who to turn to, reading from a textbook for 10h a day is destroying me. I just can’t anymore.

Same with me. I am not smart at school and I am really struggling
Reply 10
Original post by dogsinadais

I wish I was smarter.
Original post by emma k_
Same with me. I am not smart at school and I am really struggling

if you want someone to talk to, just PM me x
Reply 12
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
if you want someone to talk to, just PM me x

I am doing A levels. It is too hard. I wish I can go to university and succeed
Original post by emma k_
I am doing A levels. It is too hard. I wish I can go to university and succeed

Same,I'm doing Alevels too, What do you wanna do at uni?

You are succeeded rn...being alive everyday, and you trying your hardest is a success. well done for going this far, only a few more yards till the end :h:
Reply 14
Same,I'm doing Alevels too, What do you wanna do at uni?

You are succeeded rn...being alive everyday, and you trying your hardest is a success. well done for going this far, only a few more yards till the end :h:

How old are you?

I am in year 12
Original post by emma k_
How old are you?

I am in year 12

year 13, what subjects are you doing?
Reply 16
year 13, what subjects are you doing?

I assumed from your universe you were in university. '-Vetnurse'

I take English literature, Business and Economics

How is it going?
Original post by emma k_
I assumed from your universe you were in university. '-Vetnurse'

I take English literature, Business and Economics

How is it going?

ahhh, no....corona happened haha

ooof, without school happening, I can kinda see why you are struggling....those are hardddd subjects. Good luck x

Alright, just lacking motivation atm
Reply 18
ahhh, no....corona happened haha

ooof, without school happening, I can kinda see why you are struggling....those are hardddd subjects. Good luck x

Alright, just lacking motivation atm

I lack motivation too. But I have no choice but to study and revise

Good luck too x
Original post by emma k_
I lack motivation too. But I have no choice but to study and revise

Good luck too x

yeah....well if you ever need a helping hand, yk where I am :h:

Why don't you revise with your bf/gf or friends
Thank you x

Latest

Trending

Trending