Turn on thread page Beta

LSE (Msc Economic History) vs Cambridge (MPhil Modern European History) watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably get an offer from this two schools.

My goal is to reach an interesting job in the private sector.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately its between prestige and employment prospects. If you care more about the long term prestige of a Cambridge degree, go there. If you are dead-set on a career on the financial industry and want a better chance of getting into IBD, go to LSE.

Not saying that Cambridge won't give you a great chance of getting an IBD job, but LSE absolutely dominates every other university in the UK when it comes to IBD recruiting. Although Cambridge gives you an advantage for MBB consulting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks joebobby, you summarized it.

I just wonder how big is this prestige difference in the UK. And if it is worth to loose almost a year of professional experience.

If I go to LSE, I'll work part-time (have already something).

But Cambridge sounds as a very nice experience. But I'm getting old...

ReputationRep:
    Other thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I would have go for Cam without hesitation if it would have been for Economic and Social History but Modern European History was way more logical because of my backgroud / research interest.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Auto)
    I would have go for Cam without hesitation if it would have been for Economic and Social History but Modern European History was way more logical because of my backgroud / research interest.
    Prestige makes no difference. Pick the course which matches your background and research interests better which sounds like LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean prestige makes no difference generally or between the two mentioned school?

I come from oversea and I'd say that for me it seems to be all the same, but here in the UK it seems very hierarchical, even the recruiters attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Intellectually speaking, I'm equally interested in both degrees.

It is more a matter of Cambridge better prospects versus living an adult life in London (working part-time and having an urban lifestyle).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Prestige makes no difference. Pick the course which matches your background and research interests better which sounds like LSE.
    And thank you alleycat393!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Auto)
    And thank you alleycat393!
    Prestige makes no difference to recruiters in the UK so not sure where you got that idea from. Only you can work out where your intellectual interests lie. Earlier you said that the LSE degree better matches your interests and background and now you're saying the two degrees are equal.

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry if I was unclear. I do like both although it's two different topics and kind of degree (Cam is more research-oriented). It's just that the LSE course seems more relevant in a professional context.

ReputationRep:
    Some consulting companies for instance seems to have a huge bias toward Cambridge and Oxford for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Auto)
    I'll probably get an offer from this two schools. I'm an History graduate with some professional experiences - but in public policy and the cultural sector. I plan to do an internship this summer (either in finance or consulting).

My goal is to reach an interesting and well-paid job in the private sector - equally interested in IB and consulting.

I'll be very thankful for any opinions.
    LSE
    +/-
    I love London: I live there already, and will start to work here anyway.
    +
    Could be way cheaper (possibility to work and eligible for financial aid).
    The content is very Economics-oriented rather than History,
    It's quantitative and can be designed in a mostly quantitative degree.
    Possibility of meaningful professional experiences.
    I already live in London, would love to set up here/somewhere definitely.
    Career services should be good.
    -
    It's a very international school, being myself an international student, I'd love to have a more English experience.
    The school seems impersonal.
    LSE offers a lot of Masters courses, takes a lot of students: is the degree still impressive/respected by employers?
    I don't know if LSE graduates of non finance/accounting/pure economics degrees enjoy the same reputation.
    Cambridge
    +/-
    Could be more expensive, but the terms are shorter and living there would be way cheaper (guaranteed accommodation in most colleges, no transport costs).
    +
    Superior than LSE / Broader prestige - I think I'll feel more proud of it (does it matter?).
    More loyal alumni, could be helpful career-wise.
    Building of a strong network through colleges life with some brilliant minds of my generation.
    Quite unique experience (formals, societies...).
    Intellectual stimulation.
    Aesthetically pleasant.
    -
    The degree has less professional relevance.
    I already hold a similar one from a top continental school.
    It's 11 months without professional experiences (until now, I always manage to do regular internships or part-time work).
    LSE offers a lot of Masters courses, takes a lot of students: is the degree still impressive/respected by employers?
    Cambridge takes more. And LSE is a far smaller institution as a whole. I'm not sure that you've understood what you want to say.

I don't know if LSE graduates of non finance/accounting/pure economics degrees enjoy the same reputation.
    QS suggests that they do. Besides, if you're studying Econ History, you can't find a better place than LSE. It basically created this field of study.

More loyal alumni, could be helpful career-wise.
    Citation needed.

Building of a strong network through colleges life with some brilliant minds of my generation.
    This could be a good factor to consider, but it depends on your college and how good its MCR is. But do note that, unlike LSE, the postgrads will come from all degree disciplines.. Chances are that you won't be able to understand the Trinity mathmo who you're hoping to engage with.

On the issue of alumni network, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to find a network equally ambitious and cosmopolitan at LSE: https://www.alumni.lse.ac.uk/s/1623/...02&calcid=1389

On the issue of intellectual stimulation, check whether your degree at Cambridge is lecture + supervision based, or lecture only. If it's lecture only, then it's the exact same didactic experience as an LSE Master's (and a master's anywhere else in the UK bar Oxford)

As alleycat correctly said, you should be choosing a degree based on its course content. There's not enough between LSE and Cambridge to distinguish them in the social sciences, or financial services, sectors.

ReputationRep:
    It is very informative, thank you. Well, I see less and less reasons not to choose LSE actually!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.