The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

LSE (Msc Economic History) vs Cambridge (MPhil Modern European History)

I'll probably get an offer from this two schools.

My goal is to reach an interesting job in the private sector.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Ultimately its between prestige and employment prospects. If you care more about the long term prestige of a Cambridge degree, go there. If you are dead-set on a career on the financial industry and want a better chance of getting into IBD, go to LSE.

Not saying that Cambridge won't give you a great chance of getting an IBD job, but LSE absolutely dominates every other university in the UK when it comes to IBD recruiting. Although Cambridge gives you an advantage for MBB consulting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks joebobby, you summarized it.

I just wonder how big is this prestige difference in the UK. And if it is worth to loose almost a year of professional experience.

If I go to LSE, I'll work part-time (have already something).

But Cambridge sounds as a very nice experience. But I'm getting old...
Reply 4
Other thoughts?
Reply 5
I would have go for Cam without hesitation if it would have been for Economic and Social History but Modern European History was way more logical because of my backgroud / research interest.
Original post by Auto
I would have go for Cam without hesitation if it would have been for Economic and Social History but Modern European History was way more logical because of my backgroud / research interest.

Prestige makes no difference. Pick the course which matches your background and research interests better which sounds like LSE.
Reply 7
Do you mean prestige makes no difference generally or between the two mentioned school?

I come from oversea and I'd say that for me it seems to be all the same, but here in the UK it seems very hierarchical, even the recruiters attitude.
Reply 8
Intellectually speaking, I'm equally interested in both degrees.

It is more a matter of Cambridge better prospects versus living an adult life in London (working part-time and having an urban lifestyle).
Reply 9
Original post by alleycat393
Prestige makes no difference. Pick the course which matches your background and research interests better which sounds like LSE.

And thank you alleycat393!
Original post by Auto
And thank you alleycat393!

Prestige makes no difference to recruiters in the UK so not sure where you got that idea from. Only you can work out where your intellectual interests lie. Earlier you said that the LSE degree better matches your interests and background and now you're saying the two degrees are equal.
Reply 11
Oh sorry if I was unclear. I do like both although it's two different topics and kind of degree (Cam is more research-oriented). It's just that the LSE course seems more relevant in a professional context.
Reply 12
Some consulting companies for instance seems to have a huge bias toward Cambridge and Oxford for instance.
Reply 13
It is very informative, thank you. Well, I see less and less reasons not to choose LSE actually!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending