The Student Room Group

WHSmith

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I work at Smiths, I'm not loving it...
I only get given 4 hour shifts, and I'm paid 4.48 an hour. With any luck, I'll be able to get into John Lewis!
Plus, all the staff have left for uni, so we're incredibly short staffed too, but it's ok, we have self service tills! (Which i hate and nobody uses)
Original post by Naami
I'm doing the application form and I'm stuck on this question:

What are your career aspirations?

Should I be truthful and say I want to go to university study XXX etc?
Or should I talk about WHSmith only?

say what you really want to do because i don't think they expect students to write 'i want to work in whsmtihs all my life' but just write how whsmiths would give you the experience you need to achieve your aspirations. :biggrin:
Hi I worked at Manchester airport WHsmiths for 4 months before university. I didn't get my payroll number. I have been chasing them but no answer. Now i have my payroll but I don't know how to check my pay slip online. I don't think I have been paid correctly. I worked a bad shift of 6-10pm where no supervisor was available to ask any questions and now I have no one to help me. Can you fellow whsmithers tell me how I check my pay slip online? Pwease and thanks
Reply 503
Original post by naseemamaria
Hi I worked at Manchester airport WHsmiths for 4 months before university. I didn't get my payroll number. I have been chasing them but no answer. Now i have my payroll but I don't know how to check my pay slip online. I don't think I have been paid correctly. I worked a bad shift of 6-10pm where no supervisor was available to ask any questions and now I have no one to help me. Can you fellow whsmithers tell me how I check my pay slip online? Pwease and thanks

Did you register an account with the online payslip system when you started work naseemamaria? By registering I just mean creating a username and a password, that's the only way you can check you payslip as far as I know.

If you did, give your work a call and ask them for the web address and just log in, all your slips should be on there. If you didn't register an account (which they should have helped you with when you pretty much first started) ask them if you can either do it in work if they have a computer or ask them to tell you how to do it at home. You have your payroll number so I'm assuming it should be pretty simple to register seeing as you have all the info.

Hope you get it sorted.
Reply 504
Naseemamaria get hold of Michelle or rob and ask them, or even just phone up head of whsmith
Anyone know what whsmith do if you don't work your notice?
Working at WHSMITH :smile: Do not care about the queues and make sure that the right amount of money, vouchers, or gift cards are taken from the customers. Because at the end of the day they will not be held liable for the loss of money.YOU WILL!!.

I was given Only 20mins of training and then told to come in a week later on a busy Saturday! Seriously! Every error that I made due to lack of training was apparently taught to me during training! The pay is absolutely **** and training for new staff is non existent but they still expect you to know everything! My manager is a complete dick who treats people like crap and the pay is 4.25 for a 16 yr old! Even though I work 4 hours a week I'm expected To know everything within the first shift! Can't wait to leave after christmas! Whsmith really ruined my exciting thoughts of a first job! Hopefully I'll get a job in John Lewis or waitrose this time!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 507
Handing in my notice tomorrow! So excited :smile:
I got a job in John Lewis, finally!
Although I'm not quite sure about how to go about giving my notice in, the manager is usually on his break when I get there, or sometimes not in, so could I just give it to my supervisor? Should I just hand it to them or tell them that it's my notice during my briefing?
Does anyone know what the notice period is if you've been working for a year?!

I've been offered a new job and I'm pretty sure it's 2 weeks but as I was employed there for a while, left for a bit and then rejoined, I was never given another employess handbook so I have no idea!

Thanks!
Reply 509
Original post by sailorsgrave
Does anyone know what the notice period is if you've been working for a year?!

I've been offered a new job and I'm pretty sure it's 2 weeks but as I was employed there for a while, left for a bit and then rejoined, I was never given another employess handbook so I have no idea!

Thanks!

I only had to give a weeks notice, so did the others who left before me.
Original post by TheCreed
Did you register an account with the online payslip system when you started work naseemamaria? By registering I just mean creating a username and a password, that's the only way you can check you payslip as far as I know.

If you did, give your work a call and ask them for the web address and just log in, all your slips should be on there. If you didn't register an account (which they should have helped you with when you pretty much first started) ask them if you can either do it in work if they have a computer or ask them to tell you how to do it at home. You have your payroll number so I'm assuming it should be pretty simple to register seeing as you have all the info.

Hope you get it sorted.

thank you for your post thank you =)
Original post by ames2k11
Naseemamaria get hold of Michelle or rob and ask them, or even just phone up head of whsmith

thank you for your post thanks =)
Really crappy day at work last week:

It was fairly busy and I forgot to give the customer their bounceback vouchers. As you know, these vouchers are a pain in the arse to scan and distribute, especially when the majority of customers do not want them and resent being handed a wad of paper despite WHSmith charging for bags (hello, double standard!). The customer hung around the till, and once the queue had died down, asked me for the vouchers. I apologised, explaining, in a nice way, that I had forgotten. Vouchers were given. Customer left. All was well until around an hour later when I was called in to see the manager. The customer had rung the store to complain. Apparently the customer had been surveying me for some time and I had repeatedly failed to give out the vouchers. I do not believe this to be true. Anyway, I was given a lecture and a formal warning to be placed in my permanent file.

I do not begrudge the manager discipling me and I understand the economic importance of bouncebacks but I was still REALLY annoyed. This customer was not a mystery shopper or anything of the sort, yet felt the need to report what is a relatively minor mistake. If I had been rude or grossly negligent then fair enough, but for this? To me, it was a very petty thing to do. Yes, I am paid to work but I am also human, I am going to make mistakes, and for somebody to take it upon themselves and judge me for it seems pretty unfair. I could get fired. What has the customer gained? Nothing.

I wish these types of customers would get some perspective. I didn't give you a piece of paper. Has it changed your life?

Sorry for ranting!
Reply 513
Original post by sardonic eyebrow

It was fairly busy and I forgot to give the customer their bounceback vouchers. As you know, these vouchers are a pain in the arse to scan and distribute, especially when the majority of customers do not want them and resent being handed a wad of paper despite WHSmith charging for bags (hello, double standard!). The customer hung around the till, and once the queue had died down, asked me for the vouchers. I apologised, explaining, in a nice way, that I had forgotten. Vouchers were given. Customer left. All was well until around an hour later when I was called in to see the manager. The customer had rung the store to complain. Apparently the customer had been surveying me for some time and I had repeatedly failed to give out the vouchers. I do not believe this to be true. Anyway, I was given a lecture and a formal warning to be placed in my permanent file.

I do not begrudge the manager discipling me and I understand the economic importance of bouncebacks but I was still REALLY annoyed. This customer was not a mystery shopper or anything of the sort, yet felt the need to report what is a relatively minor mistake. If I had been rude or grossly negligent then fair enough, but for this? To me, it was a very petty thing to do. Yes, I am paid to work but I am also human, I am going to make mistakes, and for somebody to take it upon themselves and judge me for it seems pretty unfair. I could get fired. What has the customer gained? Nothing.

I wish these types of customers would get some perspective. I didn't give you a piece of paper. Has it changed your life?

Sorry for ranting!

:eek: ouch,that's way too harsh for forgetting a stupid piece of paper!!

TPC's and bounceback have totally ruined WHSmith. I hate working on the till because of all the grief you get for simply trying to do your job.
Especially now i have to ask customers if they need a bag for 1p.
"I am not paying to advertise your company" is a fav that gets snarled at me. Oh yeah i forgot i own WHSmith and make up all the rules and **** regarding bag prices!!:angry:
I actually had to walk away from the till the other week because i nearly had a go at a customer and i was so frustrated i was in tears!
Reply 514
Original post by sardonic eyebrow

Sorry for ranting!

Jesus, it really makes me wonder how empty and pathetic someone's life is if they need to pull a petty stunt like that! The fact that the customer was observing you for some time too actually makes them even more pathetic. Have they not got anything better do to?! Sorry that had to happen to you, customers are the worst types of people I swear.

When I worked at Smiths I literally scanned the voucher after every transaction I made so it was ready for the next one and didn't even offer it to the customers half the time, as long as my records showed that I was getting 100% that was good enough for me. I wasn't going to be getting grief over a stupid little voucher when I got enough over TCP's and the fact that we had to charge for bags.

Customers really need to engage their brains at times. The stuff they give sales assistants grief over when if they actually stopped to think for a second they would realise we have no control over these things.

I actually couldn't hold my tongue one time when a woman was giving me so much attitude over the fact that we charge for bags that when she was leaving I couldn't help myself from saying, "I don't make up the prices for the bags!"

It felt insanely satisfying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bobbin95
Handing in my notice tomorrow! So excited :smile:
I got a job in John Lewis, finally!
Although I'm not quite sure about how to go about giving my notice in, the manager is usually on his break when I get there, or sometimes not in, so could I just give it to my supervisor? Should I just hand it to them or tell them that it's my notice during my briefing?

Congratulations! Not sure why I'm even here since I work at Debs, but I heard people hated working at WHSmith and wondered what TSR had to say.

I actually tried handing my notice in for Debs last Thursday. My manager flipped and now I'm just working the rest of Christmas. Be prepared to get some grief, especially since you agreed (verbally, probably) that you could work during Christmas.
Reply 516
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Congratulations! Not sure why I'm even here since I work at Debs, but I heard people hated working at WHSmith and wondered what TSR had to say.

I actually tried handing my notice in for Debs last Thursday. My manager flipped and now I'm just working the rest of Christmas. Be prepared to get some grief, especially since you agreed (verbally, probably) that you could work during Christmas.

I handed my notice in a while ago now, my last day was 4 weeks ago, I don't miss it at all! Working at JL is so much better!
Reply 517
ive got an interview this week at whsmith can anyone please tell me roughly how much they pay for over 18 year olds? (i'm 20)
I start this weekend at WhSmiths and was wondering if anyone knows do you just start getting paid straight away at the end of the month or do you do a month in hand?
Reply 519
Original post by Laur3nSt3phani3
I start this weekend at WhSmiths and was wondering if anyone knows do you just start getting paid straight away at the end of the month or do you do a month in hand?

You'll probably get paid for your contracted hours on the last working day of this month, but any overtime you do goes into next month's pay slip. :]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending