The Student Room Group

Qualifications

18 with 0 GCSEs at C grade, they are all Us then 1 D, E and F, English language and maths I have a U in, science an E.

My only qualifications are functional skills entry level 3 English and maths, I'm doing level 1 now.

I really want to become an animal care assistant, I live in the South West, I have volunteered with animals before and I'm now a dog walker. The only other job I've had is working as a Seasonal team member in a restaurant.

I'm so scared for my future, it's known facts lack of GCSEs can cause low pay or unemployment, the lower the qualification the lower the pay, that's what bothers me. My sibling has top GCSEs, A levels, masters degree and a good paid job they got using their degree, I wish I was like them, they're always going to be on high pay and employed, they have a good degree, I don't even have the basic qualification. I feel like I'm f**ked. I'm exhausted from worrying so much. I failed due to severe anxiety and depression.

I'm also worried that if I retake I might not pass. I'm not smart at all. If I can't get an apprenticeship with animals I might do a pre access then access to higher education course but worried I'm not academic enough.

What do I do? I'm actually terrified of living on low pay in jobs I hate like retail.
Why do you keep making the same thread over and over again? Speak to a professional or summn
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
18 with 0 GCSEs at C grade, they are all Us then 1 D, E and F, English language and maths I have a U in, science an E.

My only qualifications are functional skills entry level 3 English and maths, I'm doing level 1 now.

I really want to become an animal care assistant, I live in the South West, I have volunteered with animals before and I'm now a dog walker. The only other job I've had is working as a Seasonal team member in a restaurant.

I'm so scared for my future, it's known facts lack of GCSEs can cause low pay or unemployment, the lower the qualification the lower the pay, that's what bothers me. My sibling has top GCSEs, A levels, masters degree and a good paid job they got using their degree, I wish I was like them, they're always going to be on high pay and employed, they have a good degree, I don't even have the basic qualification. I feel like I'm f**ked. I'm exhausted from worrying so much. I failed due to severe anxiety and depression.

I'm also worried that if I retake I might not pass. I'm not smart at all. If I can't get an apprenticeship with animals I might do a pre access then access to higher education course but worried I'm not academic enough.

What do I do? I'm actually terrified of living on low pay in jobs I hate like retail.

Apply to/find an animal care apprenticeship as it will be the quickest and easiest route for you, if you feel that it's what you want to do. Apply to multiple to increase your chances - get someone at your school/college to help you with applying. :smile:

If not an apprenticeship, you're literally not far off at all. You can go from level 1 to level 2 in animal care, and level 2 is usually a 1 year course. Most apprenticeships start at level 3, so if you've no luck this year, after your level 2 you could then go on to a level 3 apprenticeship, but of course you could just continue to a level 3 course which is usually 2 years or some colleges offer a 1 year fast track. That's only 3 years, you'd start university (if you choose to go to university after) or employment at 21, which is still young.

Being 18-25 is still young, and remember education and learning isn't a race. Wherever you want to be or whatever career you want to do, you'll get there in the end. It just takes patience and time!
Reply 3
Original post by yellowcopter
Apply to/find an animal care apprenticeship as it will be the quickest and easiest route for you, if you feel that it's what you want to do. Apply to multiple to increase your chances - get someone at your school/college to help you with applying. :smile:

If not an apprenticeship, you're literally not far off at all. You can go from level 1 to level 2 in animal care, and level 2 is usually a 1 year course. Most apprenticeships start at level 3, so if you've no luck this year, after your level 2 you could then go on to a level 3 apprenticeship, but of course you could just continue to a level 3 course which is usually 2 years or some colleges offer a 1 year fast track. That's only 3 years, you'd start university (if you choose to go to university after) or employment at 21, which is still young.

Being 18-25 is still young, and remember education and learning isn't a race. Wherever you want to be or whatever career you want to do, you'll get there in the end. It just takes patience and time!

Thank you, I didn't see it like that, now I've realised I'm not really far off at all and I've found some courses which if I was successful I'll be 23 by the time I passed if I was to do it the way I'm thinking. Either way I'm starting to realise it does just take time. Thank you :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending