The Student Room Group

How long/how many lessons did it take for you to pass your driving test?

How many hours did you do?, did you have extra practice without the instructor and did you pass first time?
It took me probably about 40-50 hours to be honest. :colondollar: I was very nervous. Passed second time and practiced with my mum a couple of times. :smile:

Moved to learning to drive!
I took 13 lessons ( about 26 hours) before doing my test. I did fail ( 1 minor and 1 major) so I’ve taken another 4 lessons (8 hours) with test 2 coming up soon.

What i’d Say is don’t be afraid to fail ( truly does make u a better driver) and don’t be pressured into how quickly your friends pass ( we all get different exam results so this is the same). If you pass first time, amazing! If not, you now know what to expect.
Reply 3
Original post by Paracosm
It took me probably about 40-50 hours to be honest. :colondollar: I was very nervous. Passed second time and practiced with my mum a couple of times. :smile:

Moved to learning to drive!

Original post by SherlockD
I took 13 lessons ( about 26 hours) before doing my test. I did fail ( 1 minor and 1 major) so I’ve taken another 4 lessons (8 hours) with test 2 coming up soon.

What i’d Say is don’t be afraid to fail ( truly does make u a better driver) and don’t be pressured into how quickly your friends pass ( we all get different exam results so this is the same). If you pass first time, amazing! If not, you now know what to expect.

Thanks guys, I was wondering because my friend is feeling rubbish because she’s had 10 lessons and isn’t getting very far and I’ve had 7 and I’m doing better than her. I’m trying to let her know that everyone learns Arby’s different paced
Everyone's different in how they learn, some pick up the car controls quick, some struggle, some have initial terror in actually taking to the road, some just take to it. Passing 1st time would be nice but a large part of it simply luck on the day really. I think I booked my first test at about 20 hours and passed at about 30 (3rd attempt)
I passed first time after around 55 (1 hour) lessons.
I also drove my parents car a few times a week (didn't live at home so was when they took me shopping etc)

took so long because I had to wait 3 months for a test date.
I'd done about 20 to 25 hours when I went in for my first test. Failed that, unfairly I still feel after 5 years of experience. Had some more lessons, screwed up on my second test and failed that. I'd had 33 hours by that point. Managed to get a test 2 weeks away and my instructor said I didn't really need anymore lessons as I was capable of passing, so if I didn't want to do anymore then don't. So I just did my lesson on the hour before the test and then passed with one minor.
I didn't have any outside practice.
I had about 60-70 hours altogether, changed instructors in between and quite some gaps. Wasted about the first 20 hours with my first instructor, and with the next instructor I was really teaching myself. I wasn't a quick learner, not for driving anyhow.
60h
Took a whopping 70 hours (no private practice). First instructor ripped me off big time and kept me on quiet roads for almost 15 hours. Didn’t start teaching me manoeuvres until like 30 hours in. I switched instructor a couple lessons later.

I was also just a pretty darn slow learner.
Took me 5 months and had one lesson a week, no extra practise with family and passed first time in October x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending