The Student Room Group

Struggling to handle Girlfriends mental health problems

I'll try and keep it as brief as possible.So I'm in a long distance relationship with a girl, we're deeply in love and when we're with each other we're the happiest we can be. Her mental health used to be really bad to the point where i was on the phone to her convincing herself not to kill herself.I visited her a couple of weeks ago and me being there made her feel a lot better about herself, she started being really positive and productive (like her old self) again. But every now and then she gets a feeling where she questions what would happen if she killed herself, she's also got exams coming up, which is obviously adding extra stress. Obviously i wish i could just move to hers and i could be there for her and help her revise and everything. When shes at college or out somewhere, i probably won't get a text from her for a while, but sometimes its like 'feel a panic attack coming on LOL' something like that, and it really destroys my mood. It's happened so many times that i get angry, because i dont think she notices what its doing to me, I know she can't help it, and i'm the only one there to help her.Bottom line is, I love her so much, the last thing i want to do is leave her. If i told her that i wanted to break up, I feel like she would end up killing herself (extreme, i know). I just know it would happen. I know that if we still last and we end up living together, we'd be so happy. Obviously i've got to look after myself, but i don't know what to do. I already spend a lot of time on the phone with her, so i don't really do anything productive anymore, even at work i'm constantly checking my phone making sure shes okay. Anyway, I dont want to break up with her, but this is destroying me mentally. I could go on describing it but there's so much, any advice?
I've had two friends go through similar things. It ended up really affecting them. Have you spoken to her family about it? She can't be putting it all on you as it's really unfair. Her family needs to get her some help. Even if it is just attention seeking and she doesn't actually have any intentions, there's something still wrong with her if she's acting like this.
Reply 2
She doesn't have the best relationship with her family, but they are aware, she has a therapy session every week or so. She also sometimes keeps stuff away from me so she doesn't stress me out even more. But I don't want her to keep it to herself because that's the worse thing anyone could do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending