The Student Room Group

living alone at 17??

Hi, I just need some advice as the internet is confusing me. I'm currently 17 (18 in 2 months) and am in a bit of an awkward situation. Legally I live at my mums, but for the past say, 6 months, I've been living at my dads alone. Without going too much into it he works away and goes away for 6-8 weeks at a time, comes back for a week or so and goes again. I stay here on my own just with my dogs. My question is, is this legal? Just because my college are starting to ask questions and for now I've lied and said I'm with my older brother and this is just a one off, but honestly this situation will be going on for most of this year. I don't mind it too much, my dad gives me plenty of money for food and things so he doesn't leave me without anything, and I see my mum regularly. Since I am not yet 18, can college do anything and get my dad in trouble if they find out whats actually happening? Sorry this is long, it would just be helpful if someone in maybe a similar situation could give me some advice, thanks!
Why are the college interested and asking questions?
Reply 2
Original post by Simonthegreat
Why are the college interested and asking questions?

they ask why i'm late a lot and i explained it was cos i'm further away atm and then my friend mentioned the situation briefly, and so then they started asking because they thought i had my own house and they need to know if i do so it can go on the system so i had to explain that that isn't the case x
But they haven't asked if you live on your own have they?
well at 16 you can leave home without any consent required from your parents....so presumably you'd go out to live alone so I don't see why at 17 it's a problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending