The Student Room Group

Waking up in the night to pee

For a few months now I have been waking up pretty much at the same time every night needing a wee. Although it takes a while I can get back to sleep afterwards but it's so embarrassing and it is making me feel like when I go to university I will have to get an ensuite. I'm pretty sure that I have just conditioned my brain to wake up every night now as I try to stop drinking anything after dinner except the water I drink when I take my medications. Has this happened to anyone else and what do you do. I'm scared to not go to the loo when I wake up as I don't want to accidentally wet the bed.

Any advice on how to stop it would be appreciated
Why is it embarrassing?
Original post by Anonymous
For a few months now I have been waking up pretty much at the same time every night needing a wee. Although it takes a while I can get back to sleep afterwards but it's so embarrassing and it is making me feel like when I go to university I will have to get an ensuite. I'm pretty sure that I have just conditioned my brain to wake up every night now as I try to stop drinking anything after dinner except the water I drink when I take my medications. Has this happened to anyone else and what do you do. I'm scared to not go to the loo when I wake up as I don't want to accidentally wet the bed.

Any advice on how to stop it would be appreciated

Have you noticed a change in mood, weight or appetite? It's only been a few months now - is there anything you feel that might be causing it or did it just happen all of a sudden? and if you don't mind, what medications do you take? All this information should be taken into consideration before you worry or feel embarrassed.
It could be a side effect of the medication. Everyone uses the toilet, it's not embarrassing. At university everyone will be running to the loo at all times of the night because once you break the seal there is no stopping.
SAME! OMG, i have to take a piss at least twice in the night and its sooo annoying its definitely a psychological thing because hardly any piss comes out anyway

I don't really mind because i'm used to the lack of sleep, but when i'm camping with friends (who are light sleepers like me) and they hear me open the tent to take a piss outside, it wakes them all up and hearing the groans make me feel sad ;c
Original post by DrawTheLine
Why is it embarrassing?

If same people see you every night (at uni), they might think that you have weak bladder or diabetes. Therefore, rumours might spread etc. And at uni, I guess, he is looking for someone, which might reduce his chance, I guess, but idk
Original post by neluxsan
If same people see you every night (at uni), they might think that you have weak bladder or diabetes. Therefore, rumours might spread etc. And at uni, I guess, he is looking for someone, which might reduce his chance, I guess, but idk

So people are expected to hold their bladders for 7-9 hours? Wouldn't expect that during the day, so the night is no different.
Don't be embarrassed at all. I go to bed after all of my housemates and quite a few of them go multiple times in the night. Mostly for sh*ts but still. Our bathroom fans are really loud as well but no one cares. Same happens in my family home.
After you drink water with your meds do you use the toilet or go straight to sleep?
Is it possible there's something else waking you up? Maybe try a night with earplugs and see if your sleep is still interrupted.
Original post by DrawTheLine
So people are expected to hold their bladders for 7-9 hours? Wouldn't expect that during the day, so the night is no different.

I'm no expert

But some people don't go get disrupted from sleep to go toilet, but idk
Reply 9
Original post by Bezoar
Have you noticed a change in mood, weight or appetite? It's only been a few months now - is there anything you feel that might be causing it or did it just happen all of a sudden? and if you don't mind, what medications do you take? All this information should be taken into consideration before you worry or feel embarrassed.

The medication is an SNRI antidepressant (not new to antidepressants but have only been in that one a couple months) and I have lost 1 stone in the past two months 😕
Original post by mc_miah
SAME! OMG, i have to take a piss at least twice in the night and its sooo annoying its definitely a psychological thing because hardly any piss comes out anyway

I don't really mind because i'm used to the lack of sleep, but when i'm camping with friends (who are light sleepers like me) and they hear me open the tent to take a piss outside, it wakes them all up and hearing the groans make me feel sad ;c

CAMPING?
One time...I woke up to pee cos I had been drinking a lot and didnt feel like going to the toilet so I pissed in my empty tin :bigsmile: you dont wanna know how the rest of the story goes.
The medication is an SNRI antidepressant (not new to antidepressants but have only been in that one a couple months) and I have lost 1 stone in the past two months 😕

Would you say this peeing problem started around the same time you started the SNRI? a stone in 2 months is quite a lot. Have you had any changes in appetite or have you been dieting?
Original post by Bezoar
Would you say this peeing problem started around the same time you started the SNRI? a stone in 2 months is quite a lot. Have you had any changes in appetite or have you been dieting?

No, it had been happening before the antidepressant but may have got worse as I don't sleep well anymore. I haven't been trying to loose weight, it's weird I used to binge eat a lot but I just haven't wanted to really eat much lately and the days I do eat, even when I binge on lots of food I just seem to loose anyway
No, it had been happening before the antidepressant but may have got worse as I don't sleep well anymore. I haven't been trying to loose weight, it's weird I used to binge eat a lot but I just haven't wanted to really eat much lately and the days I do eat, even when I binge on lots of food I just seem to loose anyway

Hmmm if you’re not eating much (except when you binge) that could explain weight loss, maybe. I think based on your symptoms you should go to the GP and don’t delay; tell them what you’ve told me, they will be able to check your bloods to rule out anything sinister. It sounds like it has been going on for a while and I think you should try get it sorted
Original post by Bang Outta Order
CAMPING?

say if i'm camping with friends, which I have done at least three times.
I can tell they hate my piss problems:tongue: We brought an 8 man tent with us and they wanted me to bring a seperate one for myself

Quick Reply

Latest