The Student Room Group

Thinking of moving to quantity surveying without a degree in it

Hi everyone any advice on the below would be great. I’ve just been made redundant from my job (textile design in fashion) and have found a job within accountancy (studying AAT at home). Whilst I was applying for jobs I applied for some quantity surveying jobs which I have actually gotten some interviews for due to my experience (job was largely account managing, costings etc). I have previously thought about going into quantity surveying as I am good with numbers and have maths and economics a-levels alongside my art and textile a-levels.

Given I don’t have a degree in quantity surveying realistically what chance do I have of having companies look at me? One of the jobs is willing to train me on the job but no paper qualification at the end.

I have also been looking at doing MSc conversion course in quantity surveying. Will this be enough for most employers or will they want someone with a BA quantity surveying? Any help or advise is appreciated!
How did you get on, I am trying a similar thing.
Reply 2
I am also thinking of similar questions, wondering what you decided in the end and/or if anyone else has any advice?
Reply 3
Original post by mmmill
I am also thinking of similar questions, wondering what you decided in the end and/or if anyone else has any advice?

What is your current situation at the moment? If you have a degree with a minimum 2:1 classification and have done a MSc accredited course as a conversion, employers will definitely look at you. The industry is booming at the moment so it is a good time to get into surveying.
Reply 4
Original post by Albkeh
What is your current situation at the moment? If you have a degree with a minimum 2:1 classification and have done a MSc accredited course as a conversion, employers will definitely look at you. The industry is booming at the moment so it is a good time to get into surveying.

Thanks for the reply! I have a first class honours undergrad degree in psychology, and a recent MSc in applied child psychology (mental health) - so completely unrelated to quantity surveying. My work experience so far is also mainly from the fields of education & mental health, and no experience at all in construction. Therefore I'm concerned that finding a job in QS would be difficult even at the end of the QS conversion course, as opposed to for example someone who has done a QS undergrad and has some work experience in the field.

I am trying to come up with ideas for gaining some experience in construction - but this is easier said than done due to having a fairly well paid full time job currently. I am hoping that after I have (hopefully) successfully applied to the conversion course, I would be able to get a part-time job in construction whilst studying - even doing office work or anything at all, to get a foot in the door. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome! :smile:
Hey
I'm thinking about the same and have an offer for MSc QS starting Sept 2019. Not accepted yet as I'm still sitting on the fence but I did an International Business degree (graduated 2 years ago) and all my work experience is in marketing or managerial supply chain so not really related! I don't think it matters really if you have the MSc and then you're Chartered then you're as good as anyone else
Reply 6
Hello, from similar experience I can share than having a finance background was the best foundation for moving into surveying, you will be fine! Don't get too tied up about qualifications, experience is everything (unless you're looking to quickly climb the ladder in a large firm or are located somewhere where the job market is very competitive).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending