The Student Room Group

I got ghosted dont know how to move on

Ive already asked this question but wasnt sure if it got posted, my phone is awful.

Im sorry for any grammatical mistakes as im severely dyslexic and writing from an old phone, If you can suffer through it, itll be greatly appreciated haha.

I was ghosted by a girl I was close to on Halloween night, she was already in a relationship when we were in school together and I had no choice but to forget about. I hadnt spoken to her all summer.

she started hanging around a volitile person from my past who has a history of destroying friendships so I stayed away until around mid october. I found out the relationship had ended about a few weeks before we started talking again. In these couple of weeks we done nothing but text eachother flat out, we eventually agreed to meet up on halloween. Her ex turned up and tried to drag her away from me but she wanted to stay. Later that night we kissed but I noticed she wasnt acting the same as she did a few months back, she was a lot more arrogant now. I took her home and she stayed in my bed and we talked all night, she didnt push to do anything more and neither did I. I had a lot of family trouble around that time my sister was really ill and needed heart surgery, it started to hit me that night too, I never told her about it. This was the first time id connected with someone strongly enough to go beyond one night stands. She told me that the hateful person from my past had nothing but good things to say which I found suspicious aswell.

Next day she seemed distant, but I acted like I didnt notice, I was still not sober enough to drive so she asked if my parents could take us to which I found awkward. She lived a good distance away too. Anyway I left it til that evening to message her to see if she was ok she never replied, i left it another 2 days before messaging again, and she didnt reply either, at this stage I knew what that meant but I noticed on my fb she tagged that friend in hateful posts about guys and was obviously referring to me, "now that i know hes interested im turned off" and just laughing at my expense, Im not the type of guy to take rejection hard if a girl was to just tell me, its **** yeah but this was over kill.

I blamed myself for months, I was scared to talk to our mutual friends and just hid away.I eventually did and they told me that she had changed and they are avoiding her I havent connected with anyone on my current course and my depression has started to flare, something which hasnt bothered me in ages. The folk on my course havent really been welcoming so I havent been able to distract myself long enough to move on and Ive just felt trapped since.

I blocked the person she hangs around with and I think they both blocked me in return, I just want to move on and enjoy life again, there is just some kinda mental block stopping me, I havent found another person im interested in and im not looking to date for fun anymore or get my heart broken again too soon, it still hurts sometimes and im catching myself thinking about the whole situation when I shouldnt be. Its really annoying haha. Im just scared ill never get past this, theres plenty of great girls out there that like me but I cant get this out of my head to give them a shot and I dont want to hurt anyone.

Thank you for your opinions and advice if you managed to make sense of this haha
Original post by Spookiskeletman
Ive already asked this question but wasnt sure if it got posted, my phone is awful.

Im sorry for any grammatical mistakes as im severely dyslexic and writing from an old phone, If you can suffer through it, itll be greatly appreciated haha.

I was ghosted by a girl I was close to on Halloween night, she was already in a relationship when we were in school together and I had no choice but to forget about. I hadnt spoken to her all summer.

she started hanging around a volitile person from my past who has a history of destroying friendships so I stayed away until around mid october. I found out the relationship had ended about a few weeks before we started talking again. In these couple of weeks we done nothing but text eachother flat out, we eventually agreed to meet up on halloween. Her ex turned up and tried to drag her away from me but she wanted to stay. Later that night we kissed but I noticed she wasnt acting the same as she did a few months back, she was a lot more arrogant now. I took her home and she stayed in my bed and we talked all night, she didnt push to do anything more and neither did I. I had a lot of family trouble around that time my sister was really ill and needed heart surgery, it started to hit me that night too, I never told her about it. This was the first time id connected with someone strongly enough to go beyond one night stands. She told me that the hateful person from my past had nothing but good things to say which I found suspicious aswell.

Next day she seemed distant, but I acted like I didnt notice, I was still not sober enough to drive so she asked if my parents could take us to which I found awkward. She lived a good distance away too. Anyway I left it til that evening to message her to see if she was ok she never replied, i left it another 2 days before messaging again, and she didnt reply either, at this stage I knew what that meant but I noticed on my fb she tagged that friend in hateful posts about guys and was obviously referring to me, "now that i know hes interested im turned off" and just laughing at my expense, Im not the type of guy to take rejection hard if a girl was to just tell me, its **** yeah but this was over kill.

I blamed myself for months, I was scared to talk to our mutual friends and just hid away.I eventually did and they told me that she had changed and they are avoiding her I havent connected with anyone on my current course and my depression has started to flare, something which hasnt bothered me in ages. The folk on my course havent really been welcoming so I havent been able to distract myself long enough to move on and Ive just felt trapped since.

I blocked the person she hangs around with and I think they both blocked me in return, I just want to move on and enjoy life again, there is just some kinda mental block stopping me, I havent found another person im interested in and im not looking to date for fun anymore or get my heart broken again too soon, it still hurts sometimes and im catching myself thinking about the whole situation when I shouldnt be. Its really annoying haha. Im just scared ill never get past this, theres plenty of great girls out there that like me but I cant get this out of my head to give them a shot and I dont want to hurt anyone.

Thank you for your opinions and advice if you managed to make sense of this haha

Firstly, thanks for using paragraphs in your ramble. It makes my life that bit easier.

And, unfortunately, it happens. Sometimes people just stop talking to you. But there’s plenty of girls out there - You can’t be worried about all the potential negatives when it comes to anything in life really. It sucks, but you will move on. Sometimes you just need a bit of time first.

Be kind, put yourself out there, and treat others as you’d like to be treated, and that’s the best you can do to set yourself up for potential happiness.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think these things just take time. Let yourself be sad but only move on when your ready.
Perhaps go to the GP or get counselling at your Uni to try see if that helps?
It's alright, ppl get ghosted all the time, dw about it.

This should help you realise the personality of the person who is ghosting you. You're not even worth a few seconds to that person; for them to take the time out and talk to you. If they can't treat you with respect, they don't deserve yours. Move on, buddy.
Original post by Anonymous

This should help you realise the personality of the person who is ghosting you. You're not even worth a few seconds to that person; for them to take the time out and talk to you. If they can't treat you with respect, they don't deserve yours. Move on, buddy.

Yeah, man just a few years of back and forth for nothing just stings especially when I tried to let it go too haha
Original post by Anonymous

Looking back there were warning signs but I thought the positives would out weigh the negatives, Ive just never experienced someone change so quickly, My friends say I blame myself too much so that is something I need to work on. Thanks for the advice guys
Original post by EffingStressed
I think these things just take time. Let yourself be sad but only move on when your ready.
Perhaps go to the GP or get counselling at your Uni to try see if that helps?

My grandpa is a psychologist so ive been talking to him, he said when im ready I should take my necklace she always liked and throw it away at a place she frequents as a form of forgiveness to myself and a way of letting her burden go. A tad cringey but I will try anything at this stage, just looking at it makes me feel bad anyway hahaha. Thank you for the advice
Original post by FloralHybrid
Firstly, thanks for using paragraphs in your ramble. It makes my life that bit easier.

And, unfortunately, it happens. Sometimes people just stop talking to you. But there’s plenty of girls out there - You can’t be worried about all the potential negatives when it comes to anything in life really. It sucks, but you will move on. Sometimes you just need a bit of time first.

Be kind, put yourself out there, and treat others as you’d like to be treated, and that’s the best you can do to set yourself up for potential happiness.

Sorry about that man, its something im trying to fix when it comes to my writing, thank you for the advice, I agree with everything you have suggested.
Sorry about that man, its something im trying to fix when it comes to my writing, thank you for the advice, I agree with everything you have suggested.

No no, it was a genuine comment. It wasn’t sarcasm. Most people posting questions along those lines don’t use paragraphs at all. You put about 5 in. And for that I thank you.

As terrible as ghosting is as a whole, its not the end of the world. You will get past this one way or another, you just need the time to heal. Take time for yourself and stop searching for the perfect one, trust me. At the start of uni there was a guy and it was messy, nothing came of it other than some stood up dates, then a month later when I was having 'me' time, my current boyfriend came into my life, I couldn't be happier. Take time to repair yourself and good things will come.

sending good vibes and happiness your way. :biggrin:
I met a girl I'd been deeply infatuated with texting for about 3 months from the cringey app Tinder. I'd eaten huge Chinese takeaway a couple of days prior, been sick for a week, and hadn't had my haircut in ages. I think I don't tolerate gluten well (or maybe it's salt or sugar?) and my face bloats bad like a pufferfish.

So I turned up to meet her with a pufferfish face, ****ed up hair, pale as Casper. She never spoke to me again.

I was extremely hurt by this. I'd become very infatuated with her, especially when she started sending me cute selfies and then when I met her in person. I was under the impression we had got on well. But she just never spoke to me again.

After a while my friend (who enjoys ****ing with people) text her that I "have died" lmfao, I did not tell him to do this, he got her number off a screenshot I used to send him screenies constantly and he was just messing about. Then her best friend texts him insulting me (it's possible they thought it was me on a diff #). My mate sent me the convo so I added her best friend and asked if it was because of my face. I am insecure about that and she was evidently never going to talk to me again anyway so I didn't care,

Seemingly they took pity at that moment seeing that I am a vulnerable man, and tried saying that she thought I was attractive just weird. Of course, I got very drunk when I met her and did act weird. But it's clear she hated how ugly I looked that night.

To look attractive I literally have to eat almost no salt, no sugar, no gluten, no dairy, and drink lots of water, for a prolonged period. One tiny slip up and I resemble the Michelin Man for a week.

But yes I have experienced ghosting and I'm extremely sensitive to stuff like this... I still feel upset about it sometimes. Like when I'm sick or stuck indoors for days in a row, I start thinking about all kinds of stuff that upsets me like girls from the past and situations like this. The only thing you can do is distract yourself from it... And try your best not to fall into the trap of thinking about her and imagining all kinds of scenarios... It's like a drug, you are addicted to those tingly butterfly feels, so you may be tempted to think of her to get those feelings again even if it makes you feel sad. Same with ex-girlfriends, anything like that.

Good distractions are things like taking up some sort of project that you are excited about. Planning steroid cycles and stuff helps me to feel excited and distracts me from unwanted thoughts and feelings since I'm just focused on that and lifting weights and stuff of that nature. But there are plenty of other projects you could take up. You can also distract yourself by going out on weekends and talking to new girls. Basically anything to keep your mind from being bored enough to think of her. And then you will feel okay... And if you find a replacement for her who's as attractive to you or better, then that too will make it all go away. Remember though, the more attractive THAT person is the harder it will be to implement this plan of action when SHE breaks up with you or whatever.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FloralHybrid
No no, it was a genuine comment. It wasn’t sarcasm. Most people posting questions along those lines don’t use paragraphs at all. You put about 5 in. And for that I thank you.

No I know it wasnt sarcasm dont worry. Yeah it infuriates me too when people dont even attempt it haha
Original post by charlyjodie_
As terrible as ghosting is as a whole, its not the end of the world. You will get past this one way or another, you just need the time to heal. Take time for yourself and stop searching for the perfect one, trust me. At the start of uni there was a guy and it was messy, nothing came of it other than some stood up dates, then a month later when I was having 'me' time, my current boyfriend came into my life, I couldn't be happier. Take time to repair yourself and good things will come.

sending good vibes and happiness your way. :biggrin:

Yeah, Its not so much the ghosting ive experienced it before with casual dating, just that shes changed as a person I suppose. We were close for a long time as friends and then suddenly im not worth the time of day.
Original post by RockyDennis
I met a girl I'd been deeply infatuated with texting for about 3 months from the cringey app Tinder. I'd eaten huge Chinese takeaway a couple of days prior, been sick for a week, and hadn't had my haircut in ages. I think I don't tolerate gluten well (or maybe it's salt or sugar?) and my face bloats bad like a pufferfish.

So I turned up to meet her with a pufferfish face, ****ed up hair, pale as Casper. She never spoke to me again.

I was extremely hurt by this. I'd become very infatuated with her, especially when she started sending me cute selfies and then when I met her in person. I was under the impression we had got on well. But she just never spoke to me again.

After a while my friend (who enjoys ****ing with people) text her that I "have died" lmfao, I did not tell him to do this, he got her number off a screenshot I used to send him screenies constantly and he was just messing about. Then her best friend texts him insulting me (it's possible they thought it was me on a diff #). My mate sent me the convo so I added her best friend and asked if it was because of my face. I am insecure about that and she was evidently never going to talk to me again anyway so I didn't care,

Seemingly they took pity at that moment seeing that I am a vulnerable man, and tried saying that she thought I was attractive just weird. Of course, I got very drunk when I met her and did act weird. But it's clear she hated how ugly I looked that night.

To look attractive I literally have to eat almost no salt, no sugar, no gluten, no dairy, and drink lots of water, for a prolonged period. One tiny slip up and I resemble the Michelin Man for a week.

But yes I have experienced ghosting and I'm extremely sensitive to stuff like this... I still feel upset about it sometimes. Like when I'm sick or stuck indoors for days in a row, I start thinking about all kinds of stuff that upsets me like girls from the past and situations like this. The only thing you can do is distract yourself from it... And try your best not to fall into the trap of thinking about her and imagining all kinds of scenarios... It's like a drug, you are addicted to those tingly butterfly feels, so you may be tempted to think of her to get those feelings again even if it makes you feel sad. Same with ex-girlfriends, anything like that.

Good distractions are things like taking up some sort of project that you are excited about. Planning steroid cycles and stuff helps me to feel excited and distracts me from unwanted thoughts and feelings since I'm just focused on that and lifting weights and stuff of that nature. But there are plenty of other projects you could take up. You can also distract yourself by going out on weekends and talking to new girls. Basically anything to keep your mind from being bored enough to think of her. And then you will feel okay... And if you find a replacement for her who's as attractive to you or better, then that too will make it all go away. Remember though, the more attractive THAT person is the harder it will be to implement this plan of action when SHE breaks up with you or whatever.

Yeah ive restarted my aquarium and bought a snake haha just to keep me busy and remind me of who I am. but I cant see myself being with someone im not emotionally invested in, I dont think its fair on either party. Im not the type of guy that just goes for looks but I would have to be attracted by their heart too. To see this girl just become as careless and ignorant as she has to both me and the rest of her friends is heartbreaking and its hard to admit that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending