The Student Room Group

Feeling bad that my girlfriend pays for everything

My girlfriend comes from a wealthy family so she able to get whatever she wants. Whenever I run out of money she pays for me, she's paid for me for city breaks in Europe twice and a few other things. I always say I want to pay her back but she always reject it says it's ok.

Her background is a lot different from mine where she went to private schools whereas my childhood wasnt as fortunate having to work for what I have. I have met her parents nice as they're I feel like I'm not good enough and feel like I have to impress show I'm worthy.

My girlfriend has now finished university having just completed her masters and has said to me she is planning to find herself apartment once she's found a job that her parents will pay for her. She also suggested that I could move in with her, so tells me she is really committed to be with me.

I just feel bad that I'll be living off her without being able to do anything back. I hate who gold dig off people so it feels I'm doing the same. I'll never be at the same level as her so it really plays on my mind, especially as relationship develops more seriously.

What can I do repay her? Is bad that I let her pay for me?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Why don't you have an arrangement to make a token payment towards things like rent / mortgage? You could also contribute to things like bills, council tax or take on some yourself (e.g. electricity)? Could buy the food / drink or be responsible for paying to go out?

Alternatively, you could make a point of taking her out / treating her once a week / month or whatever is convinient for you. Can also take her out on your own terms (take her to somewhere that is your choice to go).

I think that would also send a message to her parents that you're not a sponger

Hope that helps
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
or alternatively just be honest with what you have and dont have and share your short-term & long-term goals in life. 'love knows no boundaries' etc etc. pay her in other ways - by being thoughtful, considerate, caring etc
Like you say she had all the luck in life - if she wants to treat you let her. She probably gets pleasure out of it. That's not in any way you sponging, if you had the money you would do it too.
Since she will be paying your rent, you should do other stuff, may be like cleaning up and also just like what @Old Skool Freak said. Also, you should discuss it with her about how you feel about this situation. It’s easy to say I know but there’s nothing better than discussing with her.

I broke up with boyfriend last year partly because I guess he was feeling just like how you feel all the time and I didn’t know. So, it didn’t work out in the end.

Just make sure that love doesn’t become responsibility or guilt. Otherwise, it will be very hard in a long run.
You've got an amazing girlfriend.
Well given her background this is likely to be her life forever... she will always have more money than you. You need to decide if you can be OK with her treating you or if it's too much, in which case you may just not be compatible.
I'm not working at the moment but even when I did, my boyfriend still earned a lot more than what I did. So I pay for all the food shopping, meals out (apart from birthdays where the other pays and Valentines where we split), days out, things for the house, all cat related things like their food, insurance, litter etc and he takes care of the mortgage and bills etc. I also do all the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing as well to show my appreciation.

As long as you're honest with each other and can communicate about things, you'll be fine. Express that you appreciate everything she does for you money-wise but that you feel guilty, ask if there's anything to do that can help her out if not financially.
Sorry, sounds like a feel sorry for you post. I didn't have any parents, and worked extremely hard since then, perhaps you can too. Love isn't enough for any relationship, you are a fool if you believe otherwise.
Talk to her about it! If you’re feeling uncomfortable about this she needs to know, honestly If she knows you well enough then she’ll know that you would pay if you could. Perhaps treat her with things that don’t cost money? Long walks, homemade dinner etc - in essence it’s even more romantic than spoiling her with money! Don’t worry about it :smile:
Unless you're only with her because she has money (which it doesn't sound like you are) then you're not a gold digger. Appreciate what she's doing for you, and repay her in other ways that isn't directly handing money over to her. If you move in together, you could be keeping the place tidy and clean, cooking food for her etc. Money isn't everything, and it could be bad for you if you keep fixating on it being an issue.
She sounds like a really sweet girl and there are very few people in the world like this. You could try finding a better job, go to uni and get a good degree and work your way up. As long as your trying to contribute and help, it seems enough for her as at least your trying. Some people would just lounge off their partners money. Keep her close to you and treat her right and she’ll be happy 🌺. She fell for you and you fell for her for a reason. Don’t overthink it as when you do it could start creating problems in your relationship. She must know about your background so she must know that it’s difficult for you. Just be grateful that you have a girl like her and treat her like a princess 👸🏽 remember giving people money or expensive gifts isn’t the only way to make them feel special. For instance, making breakfast in the morning for your partner is a much more romantic gesture in my opinion and these small things are the ones that you remember for life ☀️🌸
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm not working at the moment but even when I did, my boyfriend still earned a lot more than what I did. So I pay for all the food shopping, meals out (apart from birthdays where the other pays and Valentines where we split), days out, things for the house, all cat related things like their food, insurance, litter etc and he takes care of the mortgage and bills etc. I also do all the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing as well to show my appreciation.

As long as you're honest with each other and can communicate about things, you'll be fine. Express that you appreciate everything she does for you money-wise but that you feel guilty, ask if there's anything to do that can help her out if not financially.

Wut, all of it? AND you pay for bills etc? I'm male and I see housework and bills as a 50/50 thing. Working or not, clean your own **** up is my motto. Never would I let my GIRLFRIEND clean my stuff, I find that disrespectful tbh.
Reading this thread is amazing.. sorry but idk what to say. She sounds like an amazing gal and i agree with the first couple of threats competley

Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi,

Why don't you have an arrangement to make a token payment towards things like rent / mortgage? You could also contribute to things like bills, council tax or take on some yourself (e.g. electricity)? Could buy the food / drink or be responsible for paying to go out?

Alternatively, you could make a point of taking her out / treating her once a week / month or whatever is convinient for you. Can also take her out on your own terms (take her to somewhere that is your choice to go).

I think that would also send a message to her parents that you're not a sponger

Hope that helps

Original post by gussssss
Like you say she had all the luck in life - if she wants to treat you let her. She probably gets pleasure out of it. That's not in any way you sponging, if you had the money you would do it too.

Original post by Anonymous
Since she will be paying your rent, you should do other stuff, may be like cleaning up and also just like what @Old Skool Freak said. Also, you should discuss it with her about how you feel about this situation. It’s easy to say I know but there’s nothing better than discussing with her.

I broke up with boyfriend last year partly because I guess he was feeling just like how you feel all the time and I didn’t know. So, it didn’t work out in the end.

Just make sure that love doesn’t become responsibility or guilt. Otherwise, it will be very hard in a long run.

Original post by johnny.snow
You've got an amazing girlfriend.

Original post by doodle_333
Well given her background this is likely to be her life forever... she will always have more money than you. You need to decide if you can be OK with her treating you or if it's too much, in which case you may just not be compatible.

Original post by bones-mccoy

Original post by Watercolourkid
Talk to her about it! If you’re feeling uncomfortable about this she needs to know, honestly If she knows you well enough then she’ll know that you would pay if you could. Perhaps treat her with things that don’t cost money? Long walks, homemade dinner etc - in essence it’s even more romantic than spoiling her with money! Don’t worry about it :smile:
Original post by TheEnchantress
She sounds like a really sweet girl and there are very few people in the world like this. You could try finding a better job, go to uni and get a good degree and work your way up. As long as your trying to contribute and help, it seems enough for her as at least your trying. Some people would just lounge off their partners money. Keep her close to you and treat her right and she’ll be happy 🌺. She fell for you and you fell for her for a reason. Don’t overthink it as when you do it could start creating problems in your relationship. She must know about your background so she must know that it’s difficult for you. Just be grateful that you have a girl like her and treat her like a princess 👸🏽 remember giving people money or expensive gifts isn’t the only way to make them feel special. For instance, making breakfast in the morning for your partner is a much more romantic gesture in my opinion and these small things are the ones that you remember for life ☀️🌸

^I second this
Reply 15

All the luck? Just cause someone was paid to go to Private school doesn't mean much they still need to work hard? Guess completing a Masters is pretty damn lucky lol
Reply 16
Original post by TheEnchantress

Exactly, who would feel bad enough to post on TSR unless you're using her, she clearly loves you and that kind of love doesn't come round often nowadays. Not everything is about money and thats probably clear by her mindset. Its about the love.
Original post by jdddd
All the luck? Just cause someone was paid to go to Private school doesn't mean much they still need to work hard? Guess completing a Masters is pretty damn lucky lol

From what I read it sounds like she comes from a background with money. Hence being able to treat him.

Hell, nowadays it IS lucky to get a job haha.
Original post by jdddd

Oh she doesn't have a job.

My girlfriend has now finished university having just completed her masters and has said to me she is planning to find herself apartment once she's found a job that her parents will pay for her. She also suggested that I could move in with her, so tells me she is really committed to be with me.

My parents would NEVER be able to afford a place for me, that tells me she's a bit above most people in class. LOL.
Oh she doesn't have a job.

My parents would NEVER be able to afford a place for me, that tells me she's a bit above most people in class. LOL.

I guess your Anonymous 🧐

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending