The Student Room Group

Will I need a job if living at home whilst going to University?

I am hoping to start university to do midwifery but would be living at home. I currently work full time and pay about £400 in bills (I'm 21 so have a car, pay small rent and have direct debits). Is it possible to go to university and not have to work as well with the loans and grants available?
I assume and sincerely hope that is £400 a month and not per week :wink:

My questions would be, do you really need to use your car? For most its a lot cheaper to just catch a bus or train.
Just cut back on your spending and you should have more than enough money. I think you get 3.5-4k ish if you stay at home. Spread out across the year 1/3rd each term.
Original post by meganaliciax
I am hoping to start university to do midwifery but would be living at home. I currently work full time and pay about £400 in bills (I'm 21 so have a car, pay small rent and have direct debits). Is it possible to go to university and not have to work as well with the loans and grants available?

Hi Megan,

If you are under 25 years old, unless you have self supported yourself for three years (36 months) prior to the first academic year of your course, we will assess your application on the household income of your parents.

To calculate what you may be entitled to here is a link to the Student Finance Calculator,

https://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

If you can provide evidence that you have been supporting yourself financially, we can assess you as independent and would not require your parents' household income.

The Evidence must cover three full years (36 months), however the years do not have to be consecutive.

Regards Rona
Yes that is monthly!
I suppose I could look at the cost of bus/train vs. having a car
Thank you very much!
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi Megan,

If you are under 25 years old, unless you have self supported yourself for three years (36 months) prior to the first academic year of your course, we will assess your application on the household income of your parents.

To calculate what you may be entitled to here is a link to the Student Finance Calculator,

https://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

If you can provide evidence that you have been supporting yourself financially, we can assess you as independent and would not require your parents' household income.

The Evidence must cover three full years (36 months), however the years do not have to be consecutive.

Regards Rona

Thank you Rona, I had no idea about that!

I have been paying for my own car, pay towards rent, buy my own food and pay for my own phone bill. Is there anything else that I would need to be supporting myself financially with?

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by meganaliciax
Thank you Rona, I had no idea about that!

I have been paying for my own car, pay towards rent, buy my own food and pay for my own phone bill. Is there anything else that I would need to be supporting myself financially with?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi meganaliciax,

You are welcome, if you have been working you may be able to be assessed as independent.

A student who is under 25 years old may wish to be classed as independent. This would entitle them to be assessed based on their income rather than their parents.

To be classed as financially independent for the purposes of receiving Student Finance, students must have been supporting themselves financially for 3 years prior to the start of the first academic year of their course.

We will request financial evidence to support their application for independent status. Evidence can be in the form of:

P60's

Payslips

Self assessment tax returns

The evidence supplied must cover 3 full years (36 months), however the years do not have to be consecutive.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending