The Student Room Group

Do any of you girls feel not girly enough to fit in with other girls? : /

Ive never fit in with other girls and find it hard to chit chat about random things, giggle and hug etc. I never laugh out loud or show many facial expressions for example when some girls are told a story or something they will sort of open their mouth and do a little smile at the same time (like an omg expression). I could never do that its just not me. Apparently I have a dry sense of humour people often tell me to cheer up when I'm feeling quite happy inside. Don't get me wrong Im fine talking to other girls one on one or maybe a small group I enjoy one on one friendships but its just the general girly chit chat I can't do.

Another thing is Ive never really dressed up properly or worn much make up and don't know much about that either. It scares me. I prefer simple and convenient things. My daily footwear consists of some type of trainer even though I'm bordering on my late twenties. Another weird thing is around other girls I don't feel girly or feminine at all. Like I feel physically strong and masculine around them even though I'm only 5ft. I am very athletic and I do lift weights which probably contributes to this lol. But yea I just don't feel like I fit in. When I'm doing athletics however and running with other athletic women I feel fine. Around men I often feel neutral to feminine.

Sorry this probably just sounds like a load of rubbish if it even makes sense, I guess I'm speaking from my feelings rather than my brain.

Do any of you other girls feel similar though, like not girly enough to be around some girls?
Reply 1
by the way when I say girls I mean women too Im not talking about just young girls
i do feel that way too it’s very awkward :/ like i’m not comfortable wearing anything even slightly revealing so i feel like i’m not feminine enough! i also am not much of a touchy clingy person. I don’t think other girls who are more feminine actually care though, it’s probably guys who would compare us, im trying to accept the way i am because we shouldnt be changing ourselves to appear more feminine we should accept how we are now nothing wrong with it, still sometimes i feel awkward about it
Can you still be called a girl in your late 20s?
Try not to worry about it, just be yourself. If you want to feel feminine (not because you feel pressured to fit in but you actually want to try), you could buy some makeup, watch YouTube videos and experiment. Same with clothes. Go to some charity shops, buy what you like and see what suits you.

Not every single girl or woman is ‘girly’ so it’s the case of finding the people you relate to, alternatively if you feel more comfortable hanging around guys, do that.

Don’t feel like you need to be feminine and expressive if it’s not what you want; that would be disregarding who you actually are and conforming to a stereotype.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1

well not really lol most girls/lads are really referred to as women/men by about age 20.
Reply 6
Original post by bubblegumcat
i do feel that way too it’s very awkward :/ like i’m not comfortable wearing anything even slightly revealing so i feel like i’m not feminine enough! i also am not much of a touchy clingy person. I don’t think other girls who are more feminine actually care though, it’s probably guys who would compare us, im trying to accept the way i am because we shouldnt be changing ourselves to appear more feminine we should accept how we are now nothing wrong with it, still sometimes i feel awkward about it

Thanks, yea I can totally relate to what you have said Im not touchy clingy either females are often seen as social but Im really not.
Original post by shawn_o1

if you have a vagina yes!

jk jk

well to be honest 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old are grown women yet a lot of people would call them girls when there really not.

I just turned 20 and I consider myself a grown women. calling myself a girl makes me feel like 9 years old. and that's not a good feeling.....
I feel the same. I wear make up but a minimal amount, I don't do anything to my hair... It takes me 15 minutes to shower and get ready in the morning. I don't care about the typical things like diets and gossip and fashion. I hate shopping. Etc. Often I get on better with guys. Just do you there's nothing wrong with You!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending