The Student Room Group

Indian girl dating guy - forbidden?

I've recently started seeing this guy - he's really lovely but I've discovered that his surname is the same as my mum's maiden name. Whilst my family are very modern they still have their traditional values so I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker, and whether it could actually lead to anything serious...as it could be that we are related somewhere way down the line (although this is VERY unlikely). And if we were to get married, for example, I'd end up with the same surname as all of my mum's family which would be strange.
If anyone, esp. Asians that may have more experience/be better informed than me, could offer some insight and advice as to whether this is actually a big deal that would be great ..
I'm not sure if I should stop seeing him now before it gets too late :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by itisavibe
I've recently started seeing this guy - he's really lovely but I've discovered that his surname is the same as my mum's maiden name. Whilst my family are very modern they still have their traditional values so I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker, and whether it could actually lead to anything serious...as it could be that we are related somewhere way down the line (although this is VERY unlikely). And if we were to get married, for example, I'd end up with the same surname as all of my mum's family which would be strange.
If anyone, esp. Asians that may have more experience/be better informed than me, could offer some insight and advice as to whether this is actually a big deal that would be great ..

if you like him then you should see him, you can still have a good relationship without rushing to get married, like you can go out and enjoy each others company.
Reply 2
What's the problem? Am I missing something here?

I thought Indians married their first cousins like all the time...

Omggg, how can you just break a relationship like that only because of a surname issue!? You shouldn't worry too much about this. Your boyfriend can always change his surname.
Reply 4
lmao you're basically going out with your relative, i don't think i could go out with someone who's got my mum's maiden name. to me that sounds a bit like going out with a girl with the same name as my sister...yuck :puke:
Reply 5
Original post by Gax
lmao you're basically going out with your relative, i don't think i could go out with someone who's got my mum's maiden name. to me that sounds a bit like going out with a girl with the same name as my sister...yuck

I took a girls number once, she then said her name and I entered it into my phone

she then said "whoa, you know how to spell my name, nobody ever knows how to spell my name. How come you got it?"

me "My mothers got the same name, so it was easy"

*Awkward silence*.........
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775
What's the problem? Am I missing something here?

I thought Indians married their first cousins like all the time...

No, Indians don't and have never done that.

I wouldn't worry about that my mum and dad both had the same surname before marriage and they weren't related so I think it should be fine :smile:
My mum and dad had the same surname before marriage and they aren't related whatsoever! I don't think you should worry about it that much. Why would you end it because of a maiden name being the same unless you are like related then you should think about it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
My mum and dad had the same surname before marriage and they aren't related whatsoever! I don't think you should worry about it that much. Why would you end it because of a maiden name being the same unless you are like related then you should think about it :smile:

Thank you, this is reassuring!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending