Reply 3
Original post by Harman17
what is the cognitive approach to treating depression

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Use the cognitive triad
Reply 4
Original post by halliethestudent
CBT

Would we just descibe the Beck's CBT theory?
How would you write
that as an 8mark exam question
Reply 5
Original post by Bham369
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Use the cognitive triad

what would i write for an 8marker if it says outline and expalin the cognitive approach theory to treating depression?
Reply 6
what would i write for an 8marker if it says outline and expalin the cognitive approach theory to treating depression?

Link CBT to the assumptions and go into detail (PEEL paragraphs)
Reply 7
would i have to evaluate for an 8 mark question?

Outline: You would talk about Beck's Cognitive Triad (negative self schemas) and Ellis's ABC model (activating event, belief and consequence).

Evaluation:
>Application to therapy, used to develop effective treatments, challenge irrational thoughts etc.
>Does not explain original of irrational thoughts as research are correlational based, does not tell us cause and effect
>Research supporting these explanations
>Alternative explanation e.g. biological approach, caused by genes and neurotransmitters. For example low levels of serotonin causes depression.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
would i have to evaluate for an 8 mark question?

I wouldn't evaluate just go into lots of detail

So say what happens (outline) and how it links to the assumption (explain)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Bham369

Okay, Thankyou
Okay, Thankyou

It depends, I'm currently in A2 and it required evaluation in order to get top marks HOWEVER you do not need to include that many evaluation points. Around 2-3 depending on how well you evaluate.
Okay, Thankyou

NO DO NOT LISTEN
for an 8 marker you do have to evaluate i cant remember if its 4 marks a01(description) and 4 marks ao3(evaluation) or if its 2 marks ao3 and 6 marks ao1 but you definitely need to evaluate the theory for an 8 marker if however it was a 6 marker then that would just be purely ao1

im guessing youre doing aqa psychology a level - i did this last year and was the first year to sit the new exams and achieved an a* so if you need any help message me + am selling both of my textbooks which I used for all of my revision if you are interested
Reply 13
Original post by Bham369

So say what happens (outline) and how it links to the assumption (explain)

Would it make sense if I put this as my answer,
The cognitive approach to treating depression could be done though Beck’s CBT, the aim of this theory is to help test the reality of their negative beliefs. The CBT has 3 main points; negative triad, negative self Schemas and faulty info processing. These all have an effect on the cognitive development of depression because they make all out thoughts think in a negative way. Faulty information processing blows small problems out of proportion and allows us to focus on the negative aspects of life. The self schemas change our information about ourselves into negative ways so we are always doubting ourselves and not focusing on the good hints about us. Negative triad focus on 3 things negative view of the world, ourselves and the future
Reply 14
NO DO NOT LISTEN
for an 8 marker you do have to evaluate i cant remember if its 4 marks a01(description) and 4 marks ao3(evaluation) or if its 2 marks ao3 and 6 marks ao1 but you definitely need to evaluate the theory for an 8 marker if however it was a 6 marker then that would just be purely ao1

im guessing youre doing aqa psychology a level - i did this last year and was the first year to sit the new exams and achieved an a* so if you need any help message me + am selling both of my textbooks which I used for all of my revision if you are interested

I’m in my first year of Alevels so this year I’m only sitting my AS levels
I’m in my first year of Alevels so this year I’m only sitting my AS levels

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/AQA-Psychology-Level-Year-Student-Book/22517306547/bd?cm_mmc=gmc-_-new-_-PLA-_-v01&product=COUK9781908682406NEW

this is the revision guide i have that I used for my first year of a levels if you are interested, the same rule still applies with the A03 content though you need to evaluate using a point, example, evaluation and link back to the question structure
Reply 16
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/AQA-Psychology-Level-Year-Student-Book/22517306547/bd?cm_mmc=gmc-_-new-_-PLA-_-v01&product=COUK9781908682406NEW

this is the revision guide i have that I used for my first year of a levels if you are interested, the same rule still applies with the A03 content though you need to evaluate using a point, example, evaluation and link back to the question structure

I’ve got this book but I like working for note form so I don’t like working for big chunks of words as I find t hard to summarise
I’ve got this book but I like working for note form so I don’t like working for big chunks of words as I find t hard to summarise

thats fine however you should then know how to evaluate as it gives you an essay structure in that book for a 16 marker, and 8 marker is just half the content of it
thats fine however you should then know how to evaluate as it gives you an essay structure in that book for a 16 marker, and 8 marker is just half the content of it

the cognitive approach to treating depression is also clear in this book
Reply 19
the cognitive approach to treating depression is also clear in this book

Okay thankyou, I’ll have a good look through the book then to see all the exam question structures

Quick Reply