The Student Room Group

Is being an optical assistant a good job?

I’m due to graduate in July with a degree in social sciences.
Im currently employed part time as a Barista, so I have incoming funds to help me once I finish University.

Because my degree is not necessarily “job specific” I’m open to the areas of employment I go into - most likely public sector/government/city council areas.

I recently went through applying for any jobs I felt I could progress in and get decent money (better than £7.90 an hour which is what I’m on now) and I applied to be an optical assistant (Specsavers) - I know you don’t need a degree for it but I thought it would be good for slightly better pay (and possibly progress).

I received a call for a group interview yesterday but after reading previous employee statements on Indeed it put me off (basically slating every aspect and said don’t do it unless you absolutely HAVE to?!). So I declined it today (I still have my barista job).

I’m just curious if anyone has done it/know anyone that has, does it make sense to avoid these sort of jobs having just done a degree?
Original post by Lily048
I’m due to graduate in July with a degree in social sciences.
Im currently employed part time as a Barista, so I have incoming funds to help me once I finish University.

Because my degree is not necessarily “job specific” I’m open to the areas of employment I go into - most likely public sector/government/city council areas.

I recently went through applying for any jobs I felt I could progress in and get decent money (better than £7.90 an hour which is what I’m on now) and I applied to be an optical assistant (Specsavers) - I know you don’t need a degree for it but I thought it would be good for slightly better pay (and possibly progress).

I received a call for a group interview yesterday but after reading previous employee statements on Indeed it put me off (basically slating every aspect and said don’t do it unless you absolutely HAVE to?!). So I declined it today (I still have my barista job).

I’m just curious if anyone has done it/know anyone that has, does it make sense to avoid these sort of jobs having just done a degree?

You already have that sort of job. Look at the adverts on indeed, but i dont think it offers a great career. Look for graduate trainee jobs or one attached to a profession o.e further professional qualifications.

Also look at deciding what sort of career youd like by using the careers service.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You already have that sort of job. Look at the adverts on indeed, but i dont think it offers a great career. Look for graduate trainee jobs or one attached to a profession o.e further professional qualifications.

Also look at deciding what sort of career youd like by using the careers service.

So it is on par with a basic part time retail/hospitality job? Okay thank you
Original post by Lily048
So it is on par with a basic part time retail/hospitality job? Okay thank you

If you look at the adverts on indeed you cna get an idea of salaries.
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Optical-Assistant-jobs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending