The Student Room Group

IB subjects choosing

Hi~ I will start IB in 3 months and I want to know if these combos are good . I’m thinking of studying psychology related or brain related field for my college studies :smile:

If I want to be an art therapist or therapist (or Psychologist )
HLPsych
HL Bio
HL Art
SL Math
SL Spanish
SL LangLit ( or Lit will be fine ?)

If I want to study neuroscience ( or neuropsychologist but it’s more on science so I need two sciences )
HL Psych
HL Bio
HL Lit
SL Math
SL Spanish
SL Chemistry ( my chemistry isn’t as good as Bio but it’s on the average)

And my other question is , do you prefer LangLit or Lit?

Thank you
Can't really tell give you advice on your subject combinations cause I'm also only starting in 4 months, but from what I've heard at my school, they prefer LangLit over Lit.
I finished my IB exams yesterday and am going to study clinical psychology in Sept. I did HL bio french english lit and SL spanish history and maths studies. Do not do maths SL! It is way to hard with not enough time and you will end up dropping anyway. Bio HL is very hard but I actually grew to love it. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by yellowcalculator
Can't really tell give you advice on your subject combinations cause I'm also only starting in 4 months, but from what I've heard at my school, they prefer LangLit over Lit.

Hi! Thank you for replying and what are your IB subjects combo?
Reply 4
Original post by Tilly2000
I finished my IB exams yesterday and am going to study clinical psychology in Sept. I did HL bio french english lit and SL spanish history and maths studies. Do not do maths SL! It is way to hard with not enough time and you will end up dropping anyway. Bio HL is very hard but I actually grew to love it. Good luck!

Hi! Thank you for your replies. Yes , I heard SL Math is also challenging due to the amount of work you have to work but I am actually pretty okay at math and consider one of the easiest subject to me XD And what university did you apply ? Because the university I want to go requires SL Math because of the department requirements~
Original post by kiragian
Hi! Thank you for replying and what are your IB subjects combo?

I'm going to be doing HL Maths, Chemistry and Bio then SL French B Lang and Lit and History
I am kinda curious. What are the requirements for HL maths. My school is a grade 9. Yours?
Reply 7
Original post by alireza280202
I am kinda curious. What are the requirements for HL maths. My school is a grade 9. Yours?

What do you mean by a grade 9”? For my school , you have to be in advance math class in grade 10 and getting an A+ but also has to show that you are really good at math not just “getting good grades” because you study hard ( like legit the person himself/herself needs strong mathematical backgrounds ). In advance math class , you can go to any IB math course because our class learn faster and a bit harder. Generally , IB Math HL’s requirements are that students need strong mathematical background and can learn really fast and able to solve hard questions etc. Some people in my advance math class are doing Artificial Intelligence or engineering in their future so that’s why they need HL Math because it’s basically mah orientated course :smile: Thank you
What do you mean by a grade 9”? For my school , you have to be in advance math class in grade 10 and getting an A+ but also has to show that you are really good at math not just “getting good grades” because you study hard ( like legit the person himself/herself needs strong mathematical backgrounds ). In advance math class , you can go to any IB math course because our class learn faster and a bit harder. Generally , IB Math HL’s requirements are that students need strong mathematical background and can learn really fast and able to solve hard questions etc. Some people in my advance math class are doing Artificial Intelligence or engineering in their future so that’s why they need HL Math because it’s basically mah orientated course :smile: Thank you

To do maths HL, i need to get grade 9 in my GCSE maths.
Hi! Thank you for your replies. Yes , I heard SL Math is also challenging due to the amount of work you have to work but I am actually pretty okay at math and consider one of the easiest subject to me XD And what university did you apply ? Because the university I want to go requires SL Math because of the department requirements~

There is no harm in doing SL for a while anyway...I did it for a term before I moved ro studies. I applied to Bristol, KCL, Exeter and Bham and none needed studies! I emailed them all to check before I moved down. They said studies is actually so helpful for psychology as you do tonnes of stats which is useful to know. Do whatever you think is best :smile:
Yes there is mate. Doors close. You can't be doctor, scientist, maybe a manager for supermarket chain like LIDL
Reply 11
There is no harm in doing SL for a while anyway...I did it for a term before I moved ro studies. I applied to Bristol, KCL, Exeter and Bham and none needed studies! I emailed them all to check before I moved down. They said studies is actually so helpful for psychology as you do tonnes of stats which is useful to know. Do whatever you think is best :smile:

I see :smile: Because the universities that I want to get into needs SL math and I chose SL Math because I might change ideas to Bachelor of Science ???? I also wanted to do neuroscience but I suck at chemistry somehow 😂 Also I do not want to go to studies because there are a lot of people that I found so annoying and not studying going to studies hahaah so yup . Anyway thanks for your information :smile: But I wanted to know , what score do you need to get into Bristol ?
Reply 12
To do maths HL, i need to get grade 9 in my GCSE maths.

Ah I see but my school did not do GCSE , our school is MYP :smile:
Well what grade requirement do you need for MYP in ur skl to do maths hl, ours is grade 9 still
Reply 14
Well what grade requirement do you need for MYP in ur skl to do maths hl, ours is grade 9 still

grade 9 as the GCSE grading system right?
And if yes , our school need A+( A* in UK system) in order to get into hl maths. My school is a US grading system

My school requires a high A if not an A* to do HL maths.
grade 9 as the GCSE grading system right?
And if yes , our school need A+( A* in UK system) in order to get into hl maths. My school is a US grading system

That is so easy. Yes A+ is hard but it is a hell of a lot easier than a grade 9
Which unis are you going for? Bristol was my highest at 38 but they didnt interview like some of the others...they just go on personal statement. If you have a good teacher for SL and work at it you should be fine!
Reply 18
Which unis are you going for? Bristol was my highest at 38 but they didnt interview like some of the others...they just go on personal statement. If you have a good teacher for SL and work at it you should be fine!

I’m not really trying to apply for UK’s university because I wanted to go to somewhere else like Netherlands or Canada haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending