The Student Room Group

Ovarian cancer?

I've been very bloated, my abdomen is so distended (bigger) now. I've noticed this a couple of days ago. Along with this I can't breathe properly- shortness of breath-. I get lower back and pelvic pain just for a bit. My periods aren't here- week late-. Lastly, I'm having bowel problems. I know I shouldn't be searching my symptoms but ovarian cancer is something that comes up often.

Please don't post anything negative here. If you don't have anything nice to say please don't say anything then.

Scroll to see replies

go to the doctors mate
Reply 2
Original post by annanas45
go to the doctors mate

I can't. My GP gives appointments after weeks and i'm pretty sure they'll send me back. Also my exams are around the corner which will be hard to book appointments around it as there's going to be a lot of sessions going on.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been very bloated, my abdomen is so distended (bigger) now. I've noticed this a couple of days ago. Along with this I can't breathe properly- shortness of breath-. I get lower back and pelvic pain just for a bit. My periods aren't here- week late-. Lastly, I'm having bowel problems. I know I shouldn't be searching my symptoms but ovarian cancer is something that comes up often.

Please don't post anything negative here. If you don't have anything nice to say please don't say anything then.

Anna is correct you ha best talk to the GP or you can call the Macmillan support line. Self diagnosis is fraught with risk. If you contact people and see your P then you can get a diagnosis.

Macmillan Support Line

Whether you're worried about money or practical issues, have questions about treatment or just want someone to listen, call us free on 0808 808 0000 Monday to Friday, 9am - 8pm.
Even if its in weeks book an appointment, no point asking a bunch of kids on the internet lol. If not go to a drop in clinic, bring some revision though, waiting is usually a while. (Google maps to find closest)
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Anna is correct you ha best talk to the GP or you can call the Macmillan support line. Self diagnosis is fraught with risk. If you contact people and see your P then you can get a diagnosis.

Macmillan Support Line

Whether you're worried about money or practical issues, have questions about treatment or just want someone to listen, call us free on 0808 808 0000 Monday to Friday, 9am - 8pm.

Alright. Thanks a lot for sending the number.
Reply 6
Original post by annanas45
Even if its in weeks book an appointment, no point asking a bunch of kids on the internet lol. If not go to a drop in clinic, bring some revision though, waiting is usually a while. (Google maps to find closest)

Just wanted to ask whether you got pissed by me setting up this thread? 😅
My mother isnt really understanding so she wouldn't let me book this appointment as she'll think i'm showing off and she won't let me go alone -I really dont know how this is showing off-.
Just wanted to ask whether you got pissed by me setting up this thread? 😅
My mother isnt really understanding so she wouldn't let me book this appointment as she'll think i'm showing off and she won't let me go alone -I really dont know how this is showing off-.

No I'm not pissed off! lol! Just there is literally no point asking a bunch of kids on the internet. You don't need to tell your parents you're going to a drop in clinic, they barely ask who you are, just go after school one day aha
Hey there! To me it sounds like ovarian cancer because bloating and abdominal pain are really common symptoms of that, bowel problems too and missing ur periods make all sense, but ofc talk to ur gp or nurse or other health professional, cause it might be something else.
First and foremost OP, ovarian cancer is a very unlikely diagnosis given your age. It is rare, so please do not stress.

Also those symptoms are very common, and often co-occur. It could be something as simple as constipation, or IBS. Your period being a week late is nothing. I’d start to worry after a month.
Often with stress your period can become a bit irregular.

Are you feeling very stressed and a bit anxious at the minute?

Obviously you need to go to the doctors, but it being ovarian cancer is very unlikely, so do not stress in the mean time. Also you can book an emergency appointment with your GP, you don’t have to wait weeks for an appointment.
Reply 10

What age are you?

It sounds very similar symptoms to what I had when I was diagnosed with an IBD. Most GP surgery's allow for last minute bookings, if you call up in the morning about when they open they might have a cancellation you can take.

Distention of the bowel is cause to go to A&E, if it is particularly pronounced you should get it seen. You might need to wait a while, but they should X-ray your abdomen to check you have nothing blocking your large bowel. What type of problems are you having with the bowels?

The only option is see your GP. We cannot tell you "yes it's ovarian cancer" or "no it's not". You don't need your mother's permission to see your GP, so that's not a concern. You can go without her knowing. Even if you have to wait weeks, book an appointment and go to it. You may be able to get an emergency appointment - lots of surgeries have a "phone at 8am and get one on the day" service.

GP is the only thing to do really in order to get answers.

You need to see your GP. If you are feeling unwell enough that you are questioning cancer waiting times really don't matter. Book an appointment and get this checked out.
You could also go to a walk-in or call 111 for some more immediate advice, but even if you do that you'll need to see your GP later so call them tomorrow and book it. You can always book for after exams or see if it's something they could book you in more quickly for.

Cancer is not terribly likely- it's just one of the things the internet always jumps to. It is still very much something you should get checked out though.

You do not need a parent's permission to see your GP and you don't need to tell them you're going if you don't want to. You can always ask a friend for a lift if that would be an issue. At the end of the day you are unwell and your only options are get medical help or keep on suffering.

I get that it's awkward making calls like this, but you need to see your GP. There's noting anybody else can do to help you.
Original post by Sabriinee2001
Hey there! To me it sounds like ovarian cancer because bloating and abdominal pain are really common symptoms of that, bowel problems too and missing ur periods make all sense, but ofc talk to ur gp or nurse or other health professional, cause it might be something else.

Are you joking with this post? Look at sensitivity vs specificity.

OP go see your GP, people on the internet are not are not able to diagnose you and if your worried then you need to see a medical professional.

In the teenage population ovarian cancer is incredibly rare (2-3 cases per 100,000 members of the population) however your GP can fully assess you and investigate as appropriate.
Original post by plrodham1
Are you joking with this post? Look at sensitivity vs specificity.

OP go see your GP, people on the internet are not are not able to diagnose you and if your worried then you need to see a medical professional.

In the teenage population ovarian cancer is incredibly rare (2-3 cases per 100,000 members of the population) however your GP can fully assess you and investigate as appropriate.

Isn't that what I just said? I think u need to learn how to read as u clearly didn't understand a thing, that's why I told her to see a GP because I was just saying my opinion, how am I diagnosing her lol

Please go to your doctor, you defo need to get this checked out. All the best my darling, stay strong xx
Like seriously cmon if I would be joking with this post I wouldn't waste my time but I'm clearly not as I know it is a sensitive topic, all I'm saying is the facts that I researched and read, most ppl have these symptoms as they are common, but ofc they will need to asses her and do blood tests etc. I wasn't born yesterday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sabriinee2001
Isn't that what I just said? I think u need to learn how to read as u clearly didn't understand a thing, that's why I told her to see a GP because I was just saying my opinion, how am I diagnosing her lol

I didn't say you diagnosed her, i said people on the internet can't diagnose her.

You effectively told a teenager that you think their condition sounds like ovarian cancer without any clinical background (i assume) or experience in the field to back this up, you admit yourself all you've done is "researched it" which i imagine means Dr Google. Again, you need to learn about the sensitivity and specificity of symptoms for a particular disease.

You did tell the OP to see their usual GP however its not really appropriate to tell someone you think they have cancer having not seen the patient nor having any clinical background to make the decision. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind.
Thanks ?.. I surely will!
Original post by plrodham1
I didn't say you diagnosed her, i said people on the internet can't diagnose her.

You effectively told a teenager that you think their condition sounds like ovarian cancer without any clinical background (i assume) or experience in the field to back this up, you admit yourself all you've done is "researched it" which i imagine means Dr Google. Again, you need to learn about the sensitivity and specificity of symptoms for a particular disease.

You did tell the OP to see their usual GP however its not really appropriate to tell someone you think they have cancer having not seen the patient nor having any clinical background to make the decision. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind.

She did ask for our opinion tho, she didnt ask for someone to clinically background it.. And for ur info it wasn't Dr. Google it was a professional doctor talking bout cancers or different types of cancers nd their common symptoms, so before u make a judgement, think twice :/ and I didn't tell her 100% she has cancer cmon, nd if u read again, I told her she should have blood tests done etc. to see whether she does, which is logic n doesn't have to be "clinically diagnosed or whatever"

Quick Reply

Latest