The Student Room Group

Am I being dumb feeling too dumb for Cambridge?

My GSCEs results were Art A*, Spanish A*, Business and Eco A, English Lit A*, English A.
I am struggling with the concept of going to Cambridge, mainly because:
a/ are people there too academic and way smarter than me?
b/ will I have a fun social life?
c/ my A levels subjects are Psychology, Economics , Art (best results in the class this term) and Advanced Maths.
My Mum thinks I should give it a try and I find it hard - believing I stand a chance, am I putting myself down and denying myself opportunities due to low self esteem :-((
Original post by Taisha999
My GSCEs results were Art A*, Spanish A*, Business and Eco A, English Lit A*, English A.
c/ my A levels subjects are Psychology, Economics , Art (best results in the class this term) and Advanced Maths.
My Mum thinks I should give it a try and I find it hard - believing I stand a chance, am I putting myself down and denying myself opportunities due to low self esteem :-((

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
Reply 2

Thanks for the input, guess I am too dumb and miss your point, I do not feel as a fraud, i feel maybe everyone else has an edge and I do not but thanks anyways
Thanks for the input, guess I am too dumb and miss your point, I do not feel as a fraud, i feel maybe everyone else has an edge and I do not but thanks anyways

You're describing imposter syndrome. Apply. Applying does you no harm whatsoever. You're overthinking this.
Most Cambridge students have 5 or more A*s so I wouldn't set yourself up for disappointment but that doesn't mean your grades aren't great.

Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all for good degrees and enjoying your time at uni.

If you are getting the best results in the class, then it's probably worth a shot. Talk to your teachers and discuss whether you stand a chance. You have five choices so it's OK to be aspirational with one of them.

There will always be people more academic than you and smarter than you. But you don't have to be be best in the country to get a place. I'll be applying for 2019 entry, and the fact that I personally know people applying for the same course that are smarter than me doesn't put me off.
Reply 6

a/ no, and some will be, some won't.
b/ most do
c/ for which course - and which exam board is this (I'm not familiar with "advanced maths")?

It would be one choice of 5, and the way to guarantee not getting an offer is by not applying.

The process allows the admissions team at Cambridge to assess if you are a "good fit" for Cambridge and likely to do well. It's probably best to let them do that job rather you to "put yourself down" and not give them the opportunity. :smile:

Also, if you do decide to give it a go you don't have to apply to all your choices at the same time - you need to complete your Oxbridge application by 15th Oct, but you can add your other choices later. However your PS and reference etc remain the same.

Are you going to visit Cambridge at one of the upcoming Open Days?
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/cambridge-open-days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending