The Student Room Group

Mature student finance help!

Hi everyone,

I will be relocating back to Norfolk from Wales to study at UEA from September (I will be moving before 1st Sept, so should be eligible for Student Finance England) but I need some help - myself and my boyfriend will have temporary accommodation for 3 months with his job while we are looking for a house which he is planning on buying (so not a joint mortgage), I currently have my own house in Wales but will be looking to either sell this or rent it out. I wanted to put my mothers address initially for student finance as I will definitely be able to get my post here rather than putting one I know I won't be in for a long time and risk missing something important.

This will be my second undergraduate degree, but as it is Occupational Therapy I rang STE who said I would be eligible for funding as it is a health related course. I just don't know where to start! And adding in the element of possibly selling my house is going to make things more complicated too (I haven't decided what to do yet but will be meeting with the bank to go through all my options) Can anyone point me in any direction please??

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sarge12
Hi everyone,

I will be relocating back to Norfolk from Wales to study at UEA from September (I will be moving before 1st Sept, so should be eligible for Student Finance England) but I need some help - myself and my boyfriend will have temporary accommodation for 3 months with his job while we are looking for a house which he is planning on buying (so not a joint mortgage), I currently have my own house in Wales but will be looking to either sell this or rent it out. I wanted to put my mothers address initially for student finance as I will definitely be able to get my post here rather than putting one I know I won't be in for a long time and risk missing something important.

This will be my second undergraduate degree, but as it is Occupational Therapy I rang STE who said I would be eligible for funding as it is a health related course. I just don't know where to start! And adding in the element of possibly selling my house is going to make things more complicated too (I haven't decided what to do yet but will be meeting with the bank to go through all my options) Can anyone point me in any direction please??

Thanks!

Hi Sarge12,

If you were originally living and studying in one part of the UK, and have permanently moved to another part of the UK, and you are now starting a new course where there is more than the normal long vacation period between the two courses, you should apply to the new award authority that you now reside in.

If you are moving to England for the purpose of undergoing the course and your home address is in Wales, then you should apply through Student Finance Wales.

Regards Rona
Reply 2
Hi Rona,

Thanks for this - so I plan on relocating to England next month, and m partner will be buying a house there, I will either be renting my house in Wales or selling it, but the intentiois proabbly to stay in England so I apply through SFE?

Thanks
Original post by Sarge12
Hi Rona,

Thanks for this - so I plan on relocating to England next month, and m partner will be buying a house there, I will either be renting my house in Wales or selling it, but the intentiois proabbly to stay in England so I apply through SFE?

Thanks

Hi Sarge12,

If you are taking up a place on your new course from September 2018, immediately after the vacation period between the two courses, as you cannot move to England in order to take up a course, you would not normally be eligible for support from Student Finance England and be directed to apply through Student Finance Wales.

If you remained living in England until the next academic year, start date which would be January 2019. You would be eligible from then and invited to apply then.

Regards Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending