The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Holiday you are only entitled to whatever holiday you are owed. You can request unpaid leave for your exams but what they will give you varies from emlployer to employer. Ask your managers, they are the people who can tell you! How long are you wanting off? I think I only had two days off during exams, one where my exam finished 15 before i due to start work and another which clashed directly.
i work in somerfield i asked for the night off before my physics exam in january in december like 4 weeks in advance but they wouldnt let me have it off even though i had three weeks holidays owing to me. All i wanted was one night off.

Now they are giving everybody cumpulsory holidays be ause they havent used all their holidays up and they need top be used up by april.
Reply 3
You are entitled to paid leave equivalent to 1/13th of your total work hours plus any bank holidays that normally fall on your working day (or time off in lieu if you are required to work them). Basically this means if you work 5 days a week for a year (52 weeks), you are entitled to 28 days paid ((52/13)x5)+8, If you only work two days a week, then your calculation is (52/13)x2 or 8 days paid, plus bank holidays as above.

Marcus
Reply 4
eulerwaswrong
i work in somerfield i asked for the night off before my physics exam in january in december like 4 weeks in advance but they wouldnt let me have it off even though i had three weeks holidays owing to me. All i wanted was one night off.

Now they are giving everybody cumpulsory holidays be ause they havent used all their holidays up and they need top be used up by april.

Yes, arsey as it may be - your employer must ensure you take the statutory minimum of holiday, and can even tell you when you must take it.

Marcus
Reply 5
Nina
Holiday you are only entitled to whatever holiday you are owed. You can request unpaid leave for your exams but what they will give you varies from emlployer to employer. Ask your managers, they are the people who can tell you! How long are you wanting off? I think I only had two days off during exams, one where my exam finished 15 before i due to start work and another which clashed directly.

I work in the weekends and was hoping to take off 4/5weeks which is like 8-10days of actual working days.

eulerwaswrong

That sucks, im telling them like 6/7 weeks in advance. If they refuse to give it i guess i gotta look for a job elsewhere
Reply 6
M.A.H
I work in the weekends and was hoping to take off 4/5weeks which is like 8-10days of actual working days.

That sucks, im telling them like 6/7 weeks in advance. If they refuse to give it i guess i gotta look for a job elsewhere

If you work weekends, then you are entitled to 8 days total in that year. How long have you been working there and when does your holiday year start/end?

Marcus
Reply 7
Maybe you could just work one day a weekend rather than two? That will give you more than enough time to revise and still give you a break to get out the house for a bit.

EDIT: You have to remember that you do still have a job, and it is a responsibility and you can't just go in when you feel like it. Yes exams are important but you knew that when you took the job on. In addition, you also probably aren't the only student working there that's going to want some time off. Wanting every weekend off for over a month seems excessive to me.
Reply 8
marcusfox
If you work weekends, then you are entitled to 8 days total in that year. How long have you been working there and when does your holiday year start/end?

Marcus

I've been working there since begining of February and the next holiday year starts in April
Reply 9
Nina
Maybe you could just work one day a weekend rather than two? That will give you more than enough time to revise and still give you a break to get out the house for a bit.

hmm yeh if they refuse to give me at least 4 weeks off then im gna ask they let me do that instead
M.A.H
I've been working there since begining of February and the next holiday year starts in April

OK, from that I calculate you have (9/13)x2 or 1.38 (2) days paid to take before the end of March. Partial days are rounded up to the nearest whole day. You may be able to carry that over, but get it in writing.

Marcus
Have you been working there a year and 1 month or just 1 month?
Doubt they would give you that time off

I quit my job last week because they would give me time off again and they wanted me to work 5 nights a week(like 2 hour shifts) instead a saturday a one night
My work doesn't give me paid holidays.
Illegal?!
It depends on the job. If its casual so that you just work when you want then I dont think they do.
Harriellie
My work doesn't give me paid holidays.
Illegal?!

Yes. It is illegal even if they give pay in lieu of holiday.

Marcus
Reply 15
Is it always illegal not to have unpaid holidays? I work as a waiter and know the shifts I will be working next week one week in advance. I don't get any paid holidays but can book nights off so I am given different shifts
marcusfox
Yes. It is illegal even if they give pay in lieu of holiday.

Marcus

They don't give me that. Tossers. :frown:
Owl1867
Is it always illegal not to have unpaid holidays? I work as a waiter and know the shifts I will be working next week one week in advance. I don't get any paid holidays but can book nights off so I am given different shifts

It is not illegal to not have unpaid holiday, but yes, you must have some paid holiday. The key word in statutory minimum holiday entitlement is statutory. There is plenty on the interweb, particularly ACAS.

The mind boggles at the amount of people who don't know their basic rights at work.

Marcus
Reply 18
Yeah I guess I ought to know my rights a bit more, but tbh I'm quite happy with the system because it doesn't really limit the number of holidays per year
Harriellie
They don't give me that. Tossers. :frown:

You should be entitled to holiday as i mentioned earlier. Why did you not take holiday - was it not mentioned and you didn't know, or was it refused? What job is it that you do?

Marcus

Latest

Trending

Trending