The Student Room Group

Inappropriate Gym Teacher?

Poll

Inappropriate Gym Teacher?

Original post by EsmiraTalon
This is a bit lengthy!! (Skip to mid chunk to get the gist if you dont care for details)

I'm currently a senior in highschool (17y / Female) getting ready to graduate as it is now mid-May. So at the start of the year the senior class was informed that we would be having a new gym teacher which was a bit of a shock because we had the same teacher for years until this point. We were excited though because our original teacher was lousy, disengaged, and would disappear for months, but our new teacher ( I'll call her Ms. T) was young (24 years old maybe?) and energetic. I remember the first day we had gym, the whole class kind of ignored her because she looked like another student! Ms. T was small, latina, and very pretty. Students male and female would make positive remarks about her looks and underclassmen would ask us what she was like. She was l also a bit of a tomboy, wearing eyeliner while sporting sweats, sneakers and athletic T shirts.

She was a bit serious at first but as we got settled with her for the next few months, she was like another classmate. She would play sports with us, gossip with us, and would even give us 100's if we failed a test. When she would actually get up and teach us, students couldnt even take her seriously. It was like watching your friend give a presentation. However as the year progressed, Ms. T got a little too comfortable and would go on to make me uncomfortable a lottt.

She would try to talk to me in the hallways and in class all the time. A few months ago I would still be positive with her and talk to her even if she was being annoying. But recently shes been extremely annoying and unprofessional. I'd be at my desk doing work and she would come up to me, insisting on being in my personal space to talk to me about something menial. Once she asked me if our ages were too far apart. She said something like "I'm 24 and youre what? 17? our ages arent that far apart right?". I kind of shrugged, wondering what she was trying to insinuate.

She'd be in my face and leaning over me or sitting on my desk. She even started taking her laptop from her own desk and decided to be my "seat mate" and would sit ridiculously close to me, shoulder to shoulder. She calls me her best friend and my other classmates know I'm uncomfortable because they always look at me for my reaction when she does something. They'll give me a sympathetic smile or a "how do you deal with that?" kind of look. Recently I stopped paying her much attention because she is such a child. I would give her short answers and make no eye contact. She started noticing this behavior and would seem so hurt. Recently shes been calling me fake or start whining my name across the room in class or coming up to me by my locker and leaning on it. Basically doing things to get my attention.

I dont get why she even takes a liking to me like this? I'm friendly but also an introvert. I've never done anything to insinuate I wanted to be friends or have her come to me. She does this a bit with other students, they all know she is unprofessional and she annoys them too, but she only does the whining with and extra stuff with me. I'm dreading that its a crush type thing!?

Report her
I'm sure you can work it out with her
Reply 2
what happened to the OP

I bet if you male though you wouldn't be complaining.

I think this teachers feelings will get hurt if you tell her to leave you alone, ..but if it's that much of a problem then perhaps you tactfully should..
Original post by Evelynlikestea
Report her

Can you be 100% sure she's doing anything sinister?

The fact that she does this to everyone would suggest that it's probably something innocent (if it was something that only happened to her, and the teacher behaved differently to other students, then that would be different).

It could be she doesn't see herself as "The Old One" (to be fair, she's probably a lot closer to the students age than she is to a lot of the teachers), could also be a cultural clash (maybe that sort of thing is more normal in South America (or wherever she's from originally)).

Think about it, formally reporting her could potentially ruin her career (not to mention possibly alienating her from everyone she knows). Would you really want to do that over something that, for all you know, could be an innocent misunderstanding?

I would suggest taking this up with the teacher yourself. If it's not something you can say to her face, then you can send her email or have a Student representative say something on your behalf. I'm sure that alone would be enough to change her ways.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Can you be 100% sure she's doing anything sinister?

The fact that she does this to everyone would suggest that it's probably something innocent (if it was something that only happened to her, and the teacher behaved differently to other students, then that would be different).

It could be she doesn't see herself as "The Old One" (to be fair, she's probably a lot closer to the students age than she is to a lot of the teachers), could also be a cultural clash (maybe that sort of thing is more normal in South America (or wherever she's from originally)).

Think about it, formally reporting her could potentially ruin her career (not to mention possibly alienating her from everyone she knows). Would you really want to do that over something that, for all you know, could be an innocent misunderstanding?

I would suggest taking this up with the teacher yourself. If it's not something you can say to her face, then you can send her email or have a Student representative say something on your behalf. I'm sure that alone would be enough to change her ways.

If the teacher is doing things that are making students uncomfortable, it needs to be reported
Original post by Evelynlikestea
If the teacher is doing things that are making students uncomfortable, it needs to be reported

I didn't say "put up with it", I did say it's something that a student representative could deal with rather than going through more formal channels (in the first instance, at least). As I said, she may not be aware she's making people uncomfortable; Lots of young teachers have the approach, "I'm not your teacher, I'm your friend" (has anyone said anything to her?)

Once she is fully aware that she's making people uncomfortable (and if she still carries on) then it should be reported
Reply 6
none, nada,

there's literally nothing going on there.

Reading that wall of text won't even give you a semi mate..
The OP is clearly from North America. Everything about this says troll post.
Original post by ANM775
none, nada,

there's literally nothing going on there.

Reading that wall of text won't even give you a semi mate..

High test crew checking in.

Went full flagpole.
It's not about whether things are "sinister", its about whether they're inappropriate, and from the post I think we can definitely say that they are. She has definitely overstepped the boundary between teacher and friends - teachers can be friendly but they should never be your friend, no matter how young they are or how well you get on. She's young for a teacher herself and sound quite immature from how she acts when you stop giving her attention, I wouldn't be surprised if this was her first teaching role. She needs to learn to distance herself from her students, she's supposed to be their teacher, not their best mate. If she's making you feel uncomfortable, I'd speak to someone about her. You don't want this happening to another student when you leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending