The Student Room Group

27 years old. International student. Advice?

Hi everyone!

As many other people in this forum's section I am late with my master degree) At the moment I've got several offers from UK universities. Mainly I consider Bristol (Msc Economics) and Nottingham (Msc in Statistics). As many other international students I plan to stay in UK after finishing the degree (I know, it is easier said than done).
So taking into account my age (28 at the moment of graduation), the degree in economics (statistics), working experience in central bank (5 years in economic modeling and forecasting, policy advising, investment portfolio optimization, investment strategy development) what are my chances to be hired by IB, big 4 or big 3? What degree will be more preferable: in economics or statistics? Does my working experience in central bank give me comparative advantage in the UK labor market?

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Original post by egemberdiev08
Hi everyone!

As many other people in this forum's section I am late with my master degree) At the moment I've got several offers from UK universities. Mainly I consider Bristol (Msc Economics) and Nottingham (Msc in Statistics). As many other international students I plan to stay in UK after finishing the degree (I know, it is easier said than done).
So taking into account my age (28 at the moment of graduation), the degree in economics (statistics), working experience in central bank (5 years in economic modeling and forecasting, policy advising, investment portfolio optimization, investment strategy development) what are my chances to be hired by IB, big 4 or big 3? What degree will be more preferable: in economics or statistics? Does my working experience in central bank give me comparative advantage in the UK labor market?

Unless the job description asks for a specific degree it doesn't matter so do the one that is more interesting to you and in which you wills score better. If you are a non-EU international you're highly unlikely to get a job in the UK so make sure you have a backup plan. No one can predict where you will get a job. You will have to apply and see once you graduate. Work experience always helps.
Reply 2
Hi everyone!

I’m also 27 this year and will be studying for a postgraduate degree at LSE as an international student. Glad to see that I’m not alone to start a master degree at a slightly late time ^_^
Original post by alleycat393
Unless the job description asks for a specific degree it doesn't matter so do the one that is more interesting to you and in which you wills score better. If you are a non-EU international you're highly unlikely to get a job in the UK so make sure you have a backup plan. No one can predict where you will get a job. You will have to apply and see once you graduate. Work experience always helps.

Thanks a lot! About backup plan: in what other countries UK master degree will be comparative advantage, so I have good chances to find the job?
Thanks a lot! About backup plan: in what other countries UK master degree will be comparative advantage, so I have good chances to find the job?

Anywhere in the world really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending