The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Am i right that you can't drink alcohol while on it? I think thats the worse side effect my friend had lol.

Yup you're right. And it really isn't advisable to try it either, because in the case of Accutane they say it for a reason.

It increases lipid levels in you're blood, so combine that with alcohol (which does the same) and you're in for one ****er of a hangover....
I've been on Roaccutane twice... Just finished my second course. I *hope* the acne stays away this time, or else I'm just one of the unlucky 30% who it doesn't work for :frown: The only side effects I experienced was dry lips, so I guess I was lucky in that instance. However, I never stopped drinking whilst taking Roaccutane. My derm didn't ever say anything to me about stopping drinking. He was too concerned with the whole "don't get pregnant!!!" speech!

I hope things work out OK for you, the initial break out is the worst, but it WILL get better :smile:
Reply 62
My derm didn't ever say anything to me about stopping drinking. He was too concerned with the whole "don't get pregnant!!!" speech!

Lucky you, different effects for different people evidently. I tried it once and I felt so ill I couldn't even consider doing it again.....
Reply 63
Day 26 - 21/05

I havn't had any breakouts lately wooh! Havn't had any muscle aches or headaches. Feel like crap today (upset about something stupid I did), I think this is not good considering I'm on accutane:redface:
Reply 64
:hugs:
Reply 65
cheers pal
Reply 66
the hug was just.. to be nice lol at least your skin is going well :smile: accutane really does pay off :smile:
hope you sort out whatever is making you upset x
I finnished my course of roaccutane 3 weeks ago after starting it on 20th June 2005. I started on one capsule for about 5weeks (20mg) to see how my liver would react. Then from basically the end of July to 25th March I was on 3 capsules then 4 capsules (alternating days) that is 60/80 mg. My acne is still fine and my skin has stopped drying up (used to really hurt when shaving) and my lips are fine. Overall I don't think it had too much effect, if any, on my mood. Thought I'd share. Oh my back is fine and the scarring isn't too bad now.
Reply 68
Day 30 - 25/04

Dammit, tons of breakouts over the last 2 days :frown: big ones...... :frown: However they seem to be healing quicker. I get the occasional muscle ache, i.e. when I've been sitting on the floor and when I up stand up my back aches momentarily. Skin is dry as before, if I don't put moisturiser for the day/night, I start to get flaky pathes. Lips are still dry, but putting on vaseline the night before sorts out my lips of the next day.
Reply 69
i started the treatment about 2 weeks ago and i've been pretty lucky so far in terms of side affects...it only seems to be my skin and lips that have dried out, and i'm only getting an occasional back ache...fingers crossed it stays like that :smile:
Reply 70
NathanM
i started the treatment about 2 weeks ago and i've been pretty lucky so far in terms of side affects...it only seems to be my skin and lips that have dried out, and i'm only getting an occasional back ache...fingers crossed it stays like that :smile:

Mine is not so good right now :redface:

Day 39 - 03/05

I've got quite a few painful lumps (6 to be precise), about 10mm in diameter :frown:. My lips seem to be better now, but for some reason my face is not as dry as it was a few weeks ago :eek: (I'm starting to worry)
Reply 71
Day 47 - 11/05

Had quite a few breakouts 3/4 days ago. Seems to have reduced over the past couple of days. The derm is upping my dosage from 25mg to 50mg :eek: :redface: which will happen after they examine my blood test (in case of any liver problems)
Good luck with the Accutane. I really hope it works. My bro I think has moderate acne, parts of his face look like "pizza" face. I'm not sure whether to consider it moderate or severe but he's taking proactive.
Reply 73
Good luck with this. :hugs: I still have acne, but it's not that bad on my face anymore though the back is awful. However, I doubt I want to take accutane though because I have a number of medical problems and don't want to make things worse. I do wish though that the option of accutane had been available when I was in my early teens and had a pizza face (with double pepperoni toppings :eek: ) I got a lot of bullying in school which I think has made me permnantly self-concious. For the girls on accutane, did Dianette not help reduce it?
Reply 74
I'm going to a dermatologist today. my skin isn't that bad per se, it's just very unresponsive. I've had several courses of antibiotics and topical treatment and nothing really seems to sort it out :frown:
Reply 75
minimo
Good luck with this. :hugs: I still have acne, but it's not that bad on my face anymore though the back is awful. However, I doubt I want to take accutane though because I have a number of medical problems and don't want to make things worse. I do wish though that the option of accutane had been available when I was in my early teens and had a pizza face (with double pepperoni toppings :eek: ) I got a lot of bullying in school which I think has made me permnantly self-concious. For the girls on accutane, did Dianette not help reduce it?

lol :p:

Yeah, I heard that they are very effective together

devilbunny
I'm going to a dermatologist today. my skin isn't that bad per se, it's just very unresponsive. I've had several courses of antibiotics and topical treatment and nothing really seems to sort it out :frown:

That was the position I was in
Reply 76
me too
Reply 77
right, so just back from the dermatologists. bascially he said that I can get Roaccutane if I want or try it in steroid form, he suggested going straight for Roacc seeing as topical treatments haven't worked before and my skin is it's worst on my back. problem is that My health cover doesn't include treatment and it's going to cost between 350-400 for the 4 month course, so something to talk to the 'rents about.

also I wasn't completely honest when he asked about a history of depression :redface: I wouldn't say that I'm full blown depressed but I've felt pretty down since I left school last year, though that is partly to do with the condition of my skin and other issues that I'm working through. I'll just have to mention it to my GP when I'm there next week and see what he suggests.
Reply 78
Try it in steroid form - its nothing to do with steroids - whats that then?

£350/400 - I got mine for £30/month - so you've either been misquoted or you'll be getting ripped off. What dosage does he want you on?

Just a general comment: Yes, serious or long term side effects are quite rare, but they do happen. It happened to me (and I never thought it would either) so it can just as easily happen to any one of you.

Dont get me wrong - I would never tell anyone not to take it. Its a risk you take and the benefits can be remarkable. However it IS a very powerful drug and you should never forget that.

Good luck.
Reply 79
been talking to my surgery since I last posted, apparently I can get it through prescription through them :confused: I thought only dermatologists can prescribe it? anyway I'll be seeing my GP nex tues so I can get everything sorted from there and talk through what to do

Latest

Trending

Trending