The Student Room Group

Worried About Uni...

Currently in Year 12
Im really scared to go uni , I still feel like a little kid I have been treated like a little baby my whole life because of my size and weight , Im too scared to live alone somewhere by myself im not used to being completely independant. I would describe myself as being really shy and self concious of myself because i look like im 10 im afraid i wont fit in at uni ... how can i change myself to increase my independance and feel better about myself to feel more like an 'adult' ?
Don’t Worry about it. Everyone is worried. Just act like yourself and you’ll fit right in. What unis are you looking at?
I am looking around London / Brighton and Sussex Area thinking to Study Computer Science ...
Original post by mansinayee
I am looking around London / Brighton and Sussex Area thinking to Study Computer Science ...

Those are some good unis. Trust me, there are plenty of people who are worried as well. All you have to do is be more outgoing and confident and you’ll make friends in no time
I am about to finish my undergraduate degree at age 20 and I still feel like a little kid myself and I know I am not ready to start working, I still feel like I have a long way to go in order to become an adult. You may feel like that for a long time but you will be so busy with your studies that that won't even cross your mind, your undergrad degree will go by flying because you will be so busy so don't worry about having those feelings, in little to no time you won't even remember that. They will return once you graduate tho.
Currently in Year 12
Im really scared to go uni , I still feel like a little kid I have been treated like a little baby my whole life because of my size and weight , Im too scared to live alone somewhere by myself im not used to being completely independant. I would describe myself as being really shy and self concious of myself because i look like im 10 im afraid i wont fit in at uni ... how can i change myself to increase my independance and feel better about myself to feel more like an 'adult' ?

Heya, like the other posters have said, there are so many people who feel the same upon entering Uni!

I think when you're 18-early 20's, there's a lot of hoopla made about what becoming an "adult." I would suggest--just ignore that. Obviously, try and act mature and be responsible when it comes to your health, your work or studies, and your relationships--but the more you stress about "I am acting like a proper adult?! Do I have it all figured out?!", the more unneeded stress you have. Everyone has doubts about what they're doing, even fully-fledged adults! Life does not come with a manual, after all. When it comes to "adult" things--like dentist's appointments or taxes or anything else Buzzfeed articles classify as adult--just take a deep breath, call your Mum or Dad or most mature-seeming friend for advice, use Google to your advantage.

What's great about when you go to Uni is that you won't be doing it alone--you'll be (most likely) moving into accommodation with other students (who also feel the same fears--even if they don't let on!). You won't be living alone, so there's likely always going to be someone to have a laugh with if you burn the pasta or have a moan with about someone hogging the bathroom. As for gaining independence--whilst you're still at home, try and do small things every now and then to help you get into a more independent mindset. Spend time with your parents while they cook dinner, then look up a simple recipe and ask if you can make them dinner. Do the laundry for a week. Get involved in the shopping for the week; ask about how they budgeted for that.

You'll be fine, dontcha worry! Thousands of students each year are worried and stressed about this, but really by the time lectures get into full-swing most people find themselves a routine and get settled!
I agree that a lot of people feel the same- I don't think there's any one point where you suddenly wake up and feel like an adult!

However, if you really don't feel ready for uni, you don't have to go at age 18. Have you thought about taking a gap year, working a bit and maybe doing a bit of traveling to help build your independence?
Reply 7
Currently in Year 12

Don't worry about social life, worry about getting that degree at the end of the day.
Omg Thankyou for all the responses everyone im so happy to recieve all your support !! I went to an Open day at Sussex uni yesterday and uni life doesnt seem that terrifying there are so many people all doing their own thing , I am planning to go uni as soon as I finish my a-levels but Ive recently applied for a job hopefully that will make me more confident in myself and help me become more independent before i leave school after all i still have a while till that stage ... Im the youngest in my 6th form so maybe in a few months time my opinion on going out to uni could change in a positive way :smile:
Omg Thankyou for all the responses everyone im so happy to recieve all your support !! I went to an Open day at Sussex uni yesterday and uni life doesnt seem that terrifying there are so many people all doing their own thing , I am planning to go uni as soon as I finish my a-levels but Ive recently applied for a job hopefully that will make me more confident in myself and help me become more independent before i leave school after all i still have a while till that stage ... Im the youngest in my 6th form so maybe in a few months time my opinion on going out to uni could change in a positive way :smile:

That all sounds really positive!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending