The Student Room Group

How to prevent procrastination

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sparkleon
Ur summer holidays haven’t started yet they start like near 20th July......

I got to Dulwich college in China, we started holidays on the 16th of June. It ends on the 16th or 14th of august I think..
Original post by London090
Sure thing! what's the name of your blog?

i'll just copy and paste them here to make it easier!
Reply 22
Original post by jasminepanesar
i'll just copy and paste them here to make it easier!

Thanks❤️
hey! although i haven't yet received my results, let alone finished my gcses, i have some advice and some things that i wish that i had done earlier on in year 11 to make my gcse process go smoother :smile:
- start early: make all of your resources, as early back as you can, so it's easier for you further down the line
- however, don't do what i did and attempt to memorise things in february: there's simply zero point- how are you going to remember all of that info over the next few months?
- REVISE FOR YOUR MOCKS PLEASE
- i didn't take my mocks seriously, i revised for some of them, but not enough, and i didn't even revise for most of them- for biology i only revised b3 whoops
- my mock results weren't great, obviously, but it was still interesting to see that i managed to get a 7 in bio for only doing b3, and yet a 3 in RE for revising only one religion briefly
- mocks are a great way to get used to being in the exam hall, which is what all your teachers will tell you; however, i think the main underlying purpose of mocks is to force students to prepare, that way, when it comes to around Feb when you start revising properly, you have some resources already
- i honestly wish i revised for my mocks so much, it's probably one of my biggest regrets tbh- if i took them seriously i would at least know where my weakness are
- keep alllll papers that your school gives you: they're perfect for seeing where your problem areas are, and it saves you from printing more than you have to
- easter half term is a literal blessing- please please please use it wisely
- take a break day once in a while- the first day of easter half term, i spent the entire day watching netflix and ... chilling (shouldn't have put those two words together but oh well) i then spent an hour in the evening watching planning videos on youtube to help me plan my half term, which i did shortly after
- this leads me onto the next thing- plan every day! i find that when i plan an entire week at once, i just never seem to follow it- i just make to do lists every morning, or the evening before, and tick each thing off as i do it- i make them very specific and occasionally include times- for example, i may have said i wanted to do 17 preplanned flashcards within 45 minutes
- use your teachers: get anything you can off of them, and don't be afraid to ask questions and give them work to mark!
- don't worry if "you're not stressed enough", it's normal, it happens, and it's a good thing
- let your motivation be the hilarious memes on twitter after each exam :wink:

also, you don't have to revise the whole of this summer, give yourself on final big break before your real revision time :smile:
Reply 24
hey! although i haven't yet received my results, let alone finished my gcses, i have some advice and some things that i wish that i had done earlier on in year 11 to make my gcse process go smoother :smile:
- start early: make all of your resources, as early back as you can, so it's easier for you further down the line
- however, don't do what i did and attempt to memorise things in february: there's simply zero point- how are you going to remember all of that info over the next few months?
- REVISE FOR YOUR MOCKS PLEASE
- i didn't take my mocks seriously, i revised for some of them, but not enough, and i didn't even revise for most of them- for biology i only revised b3 whoops
- my mock results weren't great, obviously, but it was still interesting to see that i managed to get a 7 in bio for only doing b3, and yet a 3 in RE for revising only one religion briefly
- mocks are a great way to get used to being in the exam hall, which is what all your teachers will tell you; however, i think the main underlying purpose of mocks is to force students to prepare, that way, when it comes to around Feb when you start revising properly, you have some resources already
- i honestly wish i revised for my mocks so much, it's probably one of my biggest regrets tbh- if i took them seriously i would at least know where my weakness are
- keep alllll papers that your school gives you: they're perfect for seeing where your problem areas are, and it saves you from printing more than you have to
- easter half term is a literal blessing- please please please use it wisely
- take a break day once in a while- the first day of easter half term, i spent the entire day watching netflix and ... chilling (shouldn't have put those two words together but oh well) i then spent an hour in the evening watching planning videos on youtube to help me plan my half term, which i did shortly after
- this leads me onto the next thing- plan every day! i find that when i plan an entire week at once, i just never seem to follow it- i just make to do lists every morning, or the evening before, and tick each thing off as i do it- i make them very specific and occasionally include times- for example, i may have said i wanted to do 17 preplanned flashcards within 45 minutes
- use your teachers: get anything you can off of them, and don't be afraid to ask questions and give them work to mark!
- don't worry if "you're not stressed enough", it's normal, it happens, and it's a good thing
- let your motivation be the hilarious memes on twitter after each exam :wink:

also, you don't have to revise the whole of this summer, give yourself on final big break before your real revision time :smile:

Thank you so so much, it makes me so happy that you were willing to help. How were your results btw?
Thank you so so much, it makes me so happy that you were willing to help. How were your results btw?

my last gcse is on friday lol
i've got an a* in ICT already tho

and yh i'm allowed about helping others! for my physics exam, i ended up covering half the content at 4am on the day of the exam- that was so sad as it made me realise that nobody had really helped me- so i'd love to help others! let me know if u have any more questions :smile:
Reply 26
my last gcse is on friday lol
i've got an a* in ICT already tho

and yh i'm allowed about helping others! for my physics exam, i ended up covering half the content at 4am on the day of the exam- that was so sad as it made me realise that nobody had really helped me- so i'd love to help others! let me know if u have any more questions :smile:

I really need help with computer science, my programming is terrible😢

ICT is differnwt to computer science, but i did computer science at gcse and i think it should one of my best exmas!
even if you're not good at programming, you at least have the theory! our practical got cancelled so i was quite happy :smile: i think maybe if u know u struggle with programming, go over it this holiday, maybe purchase a book to help you? don't stress it too much, programming isn't even worth that much of your gcse
Yeah, I was supposed to be doing computer science revision and then I saw a new thread and the started to gravitate around me, my laptop and TSR. 😂

Yh....Procrastination is a disease.
However the older you get the more resistant you become, because irl stuff keeps you busy so no free time :biggrin:

This might be bad advice but when i did computer science (which i highly wouldn't recommend unless you're a computer geek (in a nice way)) i kinda cheated my coursework. Depedning on your exam board you're given a lnght of code and we used to type it on goggle and someone else would have already done most of the work if not all of it. I then managed to get someone kind enough to explain to me how it worked if the teacher ever did ask i didn't look blank and made it obvious i didn't know wtf was going on. My teachers there were bad and ended up getting a total of three teachers within 3 yrs and then the first 2 got fired after everyone found out how bad they were at teaching computing. Hence i got A* in my course work and a C/B in my Exam can't remember so i got overall B. :laugh:
i mean you have to find a balance. personally if i were you i would put off revision until much later. if you are genuinely concerned about mocks then yes do revise consistently from september onward. please give yourself a break; in the future you will hardly find summer holidays when you can simply chill. the one major key strategy which worked for me is that i made all my flashcards by christmas even for the material i hadn't covered then i put those flashcards aside and i used the ones i had. do all your homework and self teach anything you don't quite know to fill in the gaps. once a week you can do a past paper or answer practice questions because honestly you have time! a couple of my friends who were aiming for level 9s started revision around january - i started at the end of february. make sure you utilize all your upcoming holidays but also take it easy. don't overload and remember only you know how your mind works. if you're someone who gets easily stressed then start early which is what i did because i was getting 4s and it was a wakeup call even though i was still lazy. if you're someone who picks things up quickly and can recall key facts revise in short chunks during the easter break. you're lucky enough to have primrose kitten and freesciencelessons but i had to wait until most of their videos were uploaded bc my teachers weren't helpful enough & i started later than i planned.

and referring back to the title of this thread: if you give yourself enough breaks and work efficiently, you won't be procrastinating.
Reply 31
ICT is differnwt to computer science, but i did computer science at gcse and i think it should one of my best exmas!
even if you're not good at programming, you at least have the theory! our practical got cancelled so i was quite happy :smile: i think maybe if u know u struggle with programming, go over it this holiday, maybe purchase a book to help you? don't stress it too much, programming isn't even worth that much of your gcse

Yeah I'm probably going to find a book which has the steps on how to programme and for loops WHILE, IF etc
Reply 32
Original post by rainclouds-
i mean you have to find a balance. personally if i were you i would put off revision until much later. if you are genuinely concerned about mocks then yes do revise consistently from september onward. please give yourself a break; in the future you will hardly find summer holidays when you can simply chill. the one major key strategy which worked for me is that i made all my flashcards by christmas even for the material i hadn't covered then i put those flashcards aside and i used the ones i had. do all your homework and self teach anything you don't quite know to fill in the gaps. once a week you can do a past paper or answer practice questions because honestly you have time! a couple of my friends who were aiming for level 9s started revision around january - i started at the end of february. make sure you utilize all your upcoming holidays but also take it easy. don't overload and remember only you know how your mind works. if you're someone who gets easily stressed then start early which is what i did because i was getting 4s and it was a wakeup call even though i was still lazy. if you're someone who picks things up quickly and can recall key facts revise in short chunks during the easter break. you're lucky enough to have primrose kitten and freesciencelessons but i had to wait until most of their videos were uploaded bc my teachers weren't helpful enough & i started later than i planned.

and referring back to the title of this thread: if you give yourself enough breaks and work efficiently, you won't be procrastinating.

I must admit that I freak out over the fact that the exams aren't that far away and then I feel super stressed and kind of just sit there feeling bad for myself.😂 But to be honest there are millions of other students who are also doing their GCSE's going through the exact same process of me so I really shouldn't complain. Thank you for the advice I will remember to start earlier and flashcards do sound quite helpful.
I got to Dulwich college in China, we started holidays on the 16th of June. It ends on the 16th or 14th of august I think..

Ohhh! Sorry- wow what’s education like in China? Is everyone really hardworking and smart like we usually hear? Genuinely curious here:smile:
So.... you do IGCSES?

I must admit that I freak out over the fact that the exams aren't that far away and then I feel super stressed and kind of just sit there feeling bad for myself.😂 But to be honest there are millions of other students who are also doing their GCSE's going through the exact same process of me so I really shouldn't complain. Thank you for the advice I will remember to start earlier and flashcards do sound quite helpful.
Reply 35
So.... you do IGCSES?

Yeah.
Reply 36
Ohhh! Sorry- wow what’s education like in China? Is everyone really hardworking and smart like we usually hear? Genuinely curious here:smile:

I go to an International British school and to be honest it is quite a nice environment, our teachers are British so they aren't overly strict however there are a mix of students from different nationalities and not trying to be racist however the asian students such as me are VERY competitive and the pressure for grades is high. Some students are exceedingly smart and hard working however there are a few who are lazy, as I said pressure from asian parents for good grades is high and everyone is clambering for positions in Russell group or Ivy league schools however some students genuinely don't care because their parents are filthy rich. The school fees are very high as well.

Amongst the Dulwich international schools we don't do A levels instead we do IB which is more challenging but it prepares you for uni. The IGCSE are not too bad...
(edited 5 years ago)
Wow! Thanks for the insight- I get what u mean Asians are smart especially the ones actually living in Asia especially China (trying not to be stereotypical here!) I can see you are very competitive and more so determined and that will truely take you very far- as for your procrastination I can give you the advice (after completing my GCSES) to keep your eyes on the end goal. We all make mistakes along the way and it’s a difficult path studying as it is full of uncertainty but it’s a tried and tested formula: hard work = success. U have a vision, the hard work ethic the competitive nature now just go and put that into action. I wish I had a bit more self belief before I did my GCSEs- I thought it was impossible for me to do well in the new 9-1 scheme and that I wasn’t smart enough. I truely wish now sitting down with 2 months to reflect that instead of stressing and procrastinating I wish I had just done more work because the exams weren’t impossible when I did revise and did them. Keep that self confidence don’t stress and remember your ultimate goal. The ball is seriously in your court:smile:
Also try Seneca for revision and making notes or SnapRevise(they do videos) if I remember any other stuff I used I’ll let you know by message

I go to an International British school and to be honest it is quite a nice environment, our teachers are British so they aren't overly strict however there are a mix of students from different nationalities and not trying to be racist however the asian students such as me are VERY competitive and the pressure for grades is high. Some students are exceedingly smart and hard working however there are a few who are lazy, as I said pressure from asian parents for good grades is high and everyone is clambering for positions in Russell group or Ivy league schools however some students genuinely don't care because their parents are filthy rich. The school fees are very high as well.

Amongst the Dulwich international schools we don't do A levels instead we do IB which is more challenging but it prepares you for uni. The IGCSE are not too bad...
Reply 38
Wow! Thanks for the insight- I get what u mean Asians are smart especially the ones actually living in Asia especially China (trying not to be stereotypical here!) I can see you are very competitive and more so determined and that will truely take you very far- as for your procrastination I can give you the advice (after completing my GCSES) to keep your eyes on the end goal. We all make mistakes along the way and it’s a difficult path studying as it is full of uncertainty but it’s a tried and tested formula: hard work = success. U have a vision, the hard work ethic the competitive nature now just go and put that into action. I wish I had a bit more self belief before I did my GCSEs- I thought it was impossible for me to do well in the new 9-1 scheme and that I wasn’t smart enough. I truely wish now sitting down with 2 months to reflect that instead of stressing and procrastinating I wish I had just done more work because the exams weren’t impossible when I did revise and did them. Keep that self confidence don’t stress and remember your ultimate goal. The ball is seriously in your court:smile:
Also try Seneca for revision and making notes or SnapRevise(they do videos) if I remember any other stuff I used I’ll let you know by message

Hey,

Thank you so so much for the help, I am very grateful! I must say that Chinese public schools are VERY VERY competitive the students work very hard and almost all of them have extra tuition after school, their teachers will send text message in parent group chats after exams listing all the students exam grades from best to last. The students are constantly fighting to be the best thus leading them to be very smart and competitive. I really want to do well in my IGCSE's so that when I get to uni applications I don't have to worry about my GCSE grades pulling me down.

I respect you for your good advice and your self knowledge on how to improve. Thank you so much!! By the way how were your GCSE grades?

ah i read a bit further and realized you are doing IGCSEs! Good luck for all your exams and I hope this advice can still help you. And don't feel bad for asking for advice or complaining, just try a lot of different techniques and see what works for you. Also don't compare yourself to others because I did that a lot and it just fills people's heads with negativity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending