The Student Room Group

Uni saying I can't proceed to final year?

First some context before my questions: I'm on a computer science related course and I'm in my second year, should be going onto final and I've been doing relatively well so far. I passed all my courses bar one in my first year. I particularity struggle with aforementioned course and as much as I try it remains an issue.

I've passed everything else in my two years and just because of this one 15 credit course my uni are saying I can't proceed into my final year? Is this really something that happens? I though first year doesn't even count towards our degrees, so why is it necessary I go back and do a first year course when I've passed everything in the second?

If anyone has some insight, been in a similar situation or know how the university progression board works please share with me. In the meantime I'm trying my hardest on this program.
There have been similar posts on this site.

One method used was to approach other Universities with similar courses and details of your work completed.
Then they transferred and completed their final year at another University.

However this may mean going to a less prestigious University.

Second method was to go to the Open University and transferred credits gained so far here, completing the course this way.
Reply 2
Original post by Vloss
First some context before my questions: I'm on a computer science related course and I'm in my second year, should be going onto final and I've been doing relatively well so far. I passed all my courses bar one in my first year. I particularity struggle with aforementioned course and as much as I try it remains an issue.

I've passed everything else in my two years and just because of this one 15 credit course my uni are saying I can't proceed into my final year? Is this really something that happens? I though first year doesn't even count towards our degrees, so why is it necessary I go back and do a first year course when I've passed everything in the second?

If anyone has some insight, been in a similar situation or know how the university progression board works please share with me. In the meantime I'm trying my hardest on this program.

It’s a bit of a blurred line. Your first year counts, as the credits are required to make up your award. Where people say your first year doesn’t count is because at some institutions the marks awarded don’t count towards the overall classification of the degree.

If it is just one module that is below the threshold, some institutions will allow progression onto the next stage of the award, but on the basis the failed module is completed as part of that year. This happened to a friend of mine when I was an UG student and she was on a Law Programme. At the same time, another friend of mine was doing nutrition and she was made to retake the module alone the following year, though she chose to self fund this as opposed to wasting a year of finance.

What was agreed when you were granted progression onto the second year? You could maybe speak to your programme leader about the possibility of taking the failed module alongside your final year modules?
Original post by Vloss

What options has your uni given you.
What do the rules say?
Have you talked to the student advisor?
How many times have you rest this 15 credit module?

A degree you need 360 credits. 120 a year. Normally you arent allowed to progress till you have met the 120 and 240 credit requirement.
They wont let you graduate with an honours degree without this 15 cr4edit module if it is compulsory.

You can ask them to let you progress, but they probably allowed you the same discretion to go from first to second year and you still havent remedied the situation.

Seems perfectly normal to me. If it isnt compulsory then ask to do a different module.
Reply 4
Thank you for the responses, they have been very insightful. It does seem that I'm off the 240 credit threshold required so that's why I'm having to take this course again. Retaking this course was a condition to pass into the second year. I have resat once. What confuses me is another student taking the same course as me also failed this and isn't being told they cannot proceed. I will try talking to a student adviser, hopefully I can take an addition 15 credit course and pass to my final year.
Reply 5
Original post by Vloss
Thank you for the responses, they have been very insightful. It does seem that I'm off the 240 credit threshold required so that's why I'm having to take this course again. Retaking this course was a condition to pass into the second year. I have resat once. What confuses me is another student taking the same course as me also failed this and isn't being told they cannot proceed. I will try talking to a student adviser, hopefully I can take an addition 15 credit course and pass to my final year.

Hope you manage to get the situation resolved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending