qshkqn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there just wanted to get some opinions,

My dad owns two Cafes and one restaurant and one of them is already rented to someone else, I studied business BTEC in sixth form but didn’t like it at all and probably failed, I have already gained experience in some responsibilities as a manager however I am not yet ready, I enjoy life in the business but I absolutely hate sixth form. I am not planning on carrying on business as it is a bunch of waffle and very frustrating. I feel like my life is set in my dads creation and I feel like my legacy and family can grow in the business.

Thank you if you reply !
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being a cafe owner isnt always very lucrative, further unless your dad is quite older and ready to retire when would you get the keys to the business truly? You need to discuss this with him, though realistically a degree in management and some own personal working experience would be highly recommendable either way. Forge your own path, you can always expand the cafe with real world experience.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
Can you tell me why I should get a degree though? I mean I don’t need to show my dad a cv?
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t help but grin at the fact that you’ve described the cafe business is a bunch of waffle....

😏
qshkqn
Rep:
?
I said business BTEC is a bunch of waffle you misunderstood
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by qshkqn)
Can you tell me why I should get a degree though? I mean I don’t need to show my dad a cv?
diversification, your individual set of skills. Imagine your kid saying in school my dad didnt go to university. A restuarant isn't really a full time job, if you want to become a successful restuaranteur then get a degree and run the business on the side. And have two incomes in the future.

I'll give you an example i've inherited a house from my mom with 10 units i let out. I earn right at €40,000 a year, yet im currently studying a degree and i already own my house, its paid off and i collect a decent salary. Why two reasons, one i dont need to watch my house to get rent, having other ambitions is always good, think of how much money i will have once i have 2 incomes, career and house income even if i get a regular job after my master and only make £60,000 a year after a few years i will have an income of more then 100k, which very few people have. This is how you going from being middle class to having extra money to invest to go almost to upper middle class. Your only advancing yourself and your future by doing it.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
What if diversification doesn’t mean much to me? I’m not that materialistic. I’ve never been satisfied over certifications and qualifications as much as I have achieved practical stuff
qshkqn
Rep:
?
My dad had nothing and now has everything and left school after 12 years old
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What if diversification doesn’t mean much to me? I’m not that materialistic. I’ve never been satisfied over certifications and qualifications as much as I have achieved practical stuff
If you didnt want to get a valid other side of argument why even ask the question?

Fine stay a degree less cafe owner, best of luck.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
Your answers were bland and didn’t give much reason
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More flexibility. Say for example you get bored of being a cafe owner 10 years later and want to work somewhere else then the degree will open more doors for you.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
Finally a good response, your right but the thing is I don’t know what to study other than business
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finally a good response, your right but the thing is I don’t know what to study other than business
Wow, if you couldnt get that bit of knowledge out of my answers...a degree isnt for you.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
Why do people have to be *******s on the internet, especially at 4 in the morning?
spidle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is wrong with studying business? do you dislike it? Have you seen or researched any other courses you'd like to do?
qshkqn
Rep:
?
In business we had to write thousands of words on irrelevant topics concerning business like social trends in one of the London boroughs. Tell me if you can do that in three days. Although I am interested in football, there is nothing good out of it either playing or coaching
spidle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In business we had to write thousands of words on irrelevant topics concerning business like social trends in one of the London boroughs. Tell me if you can do that in three days. Although I am interested in football, there is nothing good out of it either playing or coaching
I see, you seem to like the practical side of business but not the writing side. Atleast studying business will allow you to take some actually helpful modules like accounting and maybe even setting up your own business during uni. Other reason to go to uni is networking- the people you meet and contacts you make may come in handy in the future. You can also explore more things to see what interests you by joining societies and clubs.
qshkqn
Rep:
?
qshkqn
Rep:
?
What is there to study practically for business?
spidle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is there to study practically for business?
Not much tbh, best way to learn is to actually run a business which you have experience in. There may be some stuff to learn which will help such as business law, accounting and finance, different taxes and rates etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads