The Student Room Group

what's normal in a long distance relationship?

so my boyfriend of nearly 2 years and i have decided to do a long distance relationship as he's gonna go to uni in america and i'll be at uni here

i've been reading up on stuff as to how to keep it alive, but i'm not really sure what's normal in this type of relationship (ie do much current habits need to change etc) coz i already know the do's and dont's but i dont really know how it'll play out if that makes sense?

if you're in one right now, what do you and your partner do on a daily basis is kinda what im asking. what's normal if that makese sense haha

thanks <3
Original post by Anonymous
so my boyfriend of nearly 2 years and i have decided to do a long distance relationship as he's gonna go to uni in america and i'll be at uni here

i've been reading up on stuff as to how to keep it alive, but i'm not really sure what's normal in this type of relationship (ie do much current habits need to change etc) coz i already know the do's and dont's but i dont really know how it'll play out if that makes sense?

if you're in one right now, what do you and your partner do on a daily basis is kinda what im asking. what's normal if that makese sense haha

thanks <3

We video call at least once a day, normally about 3 times a day. We message whenever we can too.

Yes your current habits need to change. You need to tell your partner everything. Even tiny things like what your breakfast was that morning. It's details like that that keep you guys close together.

My partner and I video call each other to wake each other up. He will call me and wake me up and I call him to wake him up, and we spend time in the mornings before he has to work/I have to work or go to lectures just talking and chatting.

You need to communicate everything. Whenever you feel like the distance is getting tricky tell each other how you're feeling and talk it out. Talking is the best thing you can do. Even if it seems small and irrelevant talk about it.

However you need to not be clingy. If either one of you has plans with friends etc. tell each other "I'm doing this now so we will talk later". That's like a normal relationship. Give each other space too.

You can do it if you put in the effort. It is difficult but if you're willing to try then you can succeed.
Well I think the most important thing in a long distance relationship is to understand what kind of communication you both find satisfactory and feel happy and content with so you guys should I try to find a balance between the time apart and time together.
Communication though is very important and you guys should both make a combined effort to talk things out whenever you feel any things wrong and just trust each other.

I would video call my boyfriend whenever we both felt like it, it may be a bit shaky but since you guys have been dating for long enough there shouldn’t be a huge deal.

I would also send him a lot of pictures of literally anything I found he would like, and he would love it to see them, he’d do the same too. We also used to have a few dinner dates , so we would just video call each other and have dinner together and just talk about our day. Every night we’d call each other to wish goodnight or even fall asleep while talking.

And also like a few others here told you before, you REALLY should tell your partner everything and let him know regularly/often that he’s on your mind and that you’re doing fine as well.

It may be difficult you guys aren’t gonna see each other for a long time; I haven’t seen my boyfriend for almost a year now but when you find a balance between your life with and without them, it’s gonna be perfect for you two as long as it’s a two way thing, not just one of you trying.

All the luck to you two and I hope you have a healthy relationship ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending