The Student Room Group

Applying for jobs with no experience

How am i supposed to gain experience for jobs when companies are unwilling to give jobs to those who have no experience in the first place? Ive applied for jobs that say require no experience yet, i get rejected because i dont have the relevant skills/experience. What am i supposed to do!?
Reply 1
Original post by Samiik
How am i supposed to gain experience for jobs when companies are unwilling to give jobs to those who have no experience in the first place? Ive applied for jobs that say require no experience yet, i get rejected because i dont have the relevant skills/experience. What am i supposed to do!?

What sorts of jobs are you applying for? In which region?
Reply 2
Original post by Samiik

If you don't have experience, mention the skills you have and activities you've done to attain them (e.g. volunteering, group projects at school). After mentioning them, explain how it'll be useful for the job your applying.
Original post by Samiik

Apply foe McDonald's or kfc or some crappy place initially and worth there for 6 months at least.

With that you can apply to many places but id recommend retail as you can say you have good customer experience etc.

Then apply for the big stuff
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
What sorts of jobs are you applying for? In which region?

Summer jobs in retail in the West Midlands.
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
If you don't have experience, mention the skills you have and activities you've done to attain them (e.g. volunteering, group projects at school). After mentioning them, explain how it'll be useful for the job your applying.

Ive already mentioned volunteering, work experience and NCS. I should probably make them more applicable to the job though so thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by TheYearNiner
Apply foe McDonald's or kfc or some crappy place initially and worth there for 6 months at least.

With that you can apply to many places but id recommend retail as you can say you have good customer experience etc.

Then apply for the big stuff

Thanks! Im mostly looking for a temp summer job until i start uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Samiik
Summer jobs in retail in the West Midlands.

Cool - try asking anyone you know who works in such positions how they got the job. Sometimes walking into stores with a cheerful smile and discussing a one page CV can help.

If there are out of town shopping centres nearby these can be a bit easier to get work in as part time staff find them inconvenient. Also consider volunteering at an Oxfam book shop.

Good luck!
Do you have any qualifications? Some jobs will hire those with little or no experience and will provide training on the job so long as you have the right personality for the role, e.g. cafe, restaurants and some retail work. At the same time, you could look at volunteering to gain experience. I am not sure about the area you live in, but you can volunteer at befriending cafes, museum work, charity shops, admin and much more. Look at do-it.org or go to your local volunteer centre.
Reply 9
Original post by Samiik
Ive already mentioned volunteering, work experience and NCS. I should probably make them more applicable to the job though so thanks.

What kind off jobs are you applying to? The problem with a lot of places is that they are requiring someone that will stay there for a long time (hence why it's difficult for a lot of students to get summer job). You could also try contacting managers for restaurants and such, and asking for a job instead of going through the application process.

Have you tried applying to a care home? In my own experience, they are more willing to allow anyone with lack of experience, so l
Reply 10
Original post by cheesecakelove
Do you have any qualifications? Some jobs will hire those with little or no experience and will provide training on the job so long as you have the right personality for the role, e.g. cafe, restaurants and some retail work. At the same time, you could look at volunteering to gain experience. I am not sure about the area you live in, but you can volunteer at befriending cafes, museum work, charity shops, admin and much more. Look at do-it.org or go to your local volunteer centre.

I have gcses and a levels atm. I've already volunteered at charities but thank you for the advice.
Original post by Samiik
I have gcses and a levels atm. I've already volunteered at charities but thank you for the advice.

What kind of things have you done for volunteering? What skills did you pick up?

If you wanted skills that are more relevant to the types of job you are looking for, you could consider doing different types of volunteering, like the ones I have suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending