The Student Room Group

Ask a Law Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Law is an academic subject and not "the degree lawyers have". They think it might be interesting to learn about law, might give them some useful knowledge (should they end up in HR, regulation/compliance, or whatever else), and that the degree would show off a lot of transferable skills.

A lot of people do it because they want an "impressive" degree, where their parents aren't too chuffed with the prospect of a BA in geography. I put it in quotes because I don't agree.

If they just wanted transferable skills there are other degrees they can do. Law I have heard is quite demanding compared to humanities.
Will SQE make it easier to get into law do you think?
Original post by quirky editor
If they just wanted transferable skills there are other degrees they can do. Law I have heard is quite demanding compared to humanities.

Indeed, but I mentioned three reasons on top of transferable skills.

Knowledge gained, an interest in the subject, and the impressiveness of the degree to yourself and outsiders.

If people wanted a degree which could enable them to practise law, they could do any degree and consequently take the GDL (under the old regime).

Yes, perfectly fine. Unless you're applying to the elites who night require a discursive essay-based subject. Most do not, nor do they care.

What uni would you recommend
Original post by KilikKyoji
What uni would you recommend

The best one you can manage which does not have the requirement of a discursive essay-based subject. There are many; have a Google.

Will SQE make it easier to get into law do you think?

It is intended to make entry easier by being more flexible. How it works in practice is another matter entirely.

For example, if SQE1 prep is not supported by the uni or firms, there might be a de facto restriction against those who cannot afford to pay for short courses costing a few thousand pounds. People might be able to self-teach with minimal expense, but would their performance suffer? These questions are to be answered by how firms and unis deal with the reforms but also upon how the SRA finalises the reforms.
How interesting is law honestly?

It is intended to make entry easier by being more flexible. How it works in practice is another matter entirely.

For example, if SQE1 prep is not supported by the uni or firms, there might be a de facto restriction against those who cannot afford to pay for short courses costing a few thousand pounds. People might be able to self-teach with minimal expense, but would their performance suffer? These questions are to be answered by how firms and unis deal with the reforms but also upon how the SRA finalises the reforms.

I don't think self teaching would be an issue. Particularly due to the fact everyone does the same exam. I assume it will be textbook knowledge. Since no accreditation is required the courses can be taught by anyone as opposed to an LPC.
The best one you can manage which does not have the requirement of a discursive essay-based subject. There are many; have a Google

So there is nothing to worry about and is there anything else i need to learn about .
I don't think self teaching would be an issue. Particularly due to the fact everyone does the same exam. I assume it will be textbook knowledge. Since no accreditation is required the courses can be taught by anyone as opposed to an LPC.

If there is a textbook which teaches you everything about academic law and everything about procedural law, incorporating pearls of wisdom from Snell/Chitty/Megarry/Clerk & Lindsell/White Book/Arnold/Blacktone/Luwin (assuming you don't use All ER/WLR or Halsbury or anything else on Lexis), how much do you think this textbook series is going to cost? Remember, SQE1 would be achieved merely by having an LLB under the current system.

The SQE is supposed to be hard, also, so to reduce any of the topic areas would be a failure to the SRA. Is the SRA saying that students won't need to be familiar with the case law, or journal articles, or the practitioner texts? Are our solicitors going to be even less aware than they are currently?
If there is a textbook which teaches you everything about academic law and everything about procedural law, incorporating pearls of wisdom from Snell/Chitty/Megarry/Clerk & Lindsell/White Book/Arnold/Blacktone/Luwin (assuming you don't use All ER/WLR or Halsbury or anything else on Lexis), how much do you think this textbook series is going to cost? Remember, SQE1 would be achieved merely by having an LLB under the current system.

The SQE is supposed to be hard, also, so to reduce any of the topic areas would be a failure to the SRA. Is the SRA saying that students won't need to be familiar with the case law, or journal articles, or the practitioner texts? Are our solicitors going to be even less aware than they are currently?

Your view seems to be solicitors need to do a good 3 year law degree to have an understanding of law. I think having a law degree may help but it offers no significant advantage when doing this new proposed examination.
Feel free to ask away... Hang yourself, tie a noose, its easy if your not obtuse, all you need is a piece of rope, and abandon all your hope, always consider self abuse, please go tie a fkin noose
Original post by tamil fever
How interesting is law honestly?

It depends on your personality and interests. It can be interesting if you like analysing complex information and learning quirky abstract things. To many people law at uni is completely different to what they imagined; much duller. You should make sure it is for you by reading some intro books before making any decisions.

There are many threads in the Law section talking about what the degree is like, what books to read. Have a search and find them.

Your view seems to be solicitors need to do a good 3 year law degree to have an understanding of law. I think having a law degree may help but it offers no significant advantage when doing this new proposed examination.

Not at all.

I was talking about the hypothetical expense because the SQE is going to remain rather complex and is going to require extensive access to library resources. I am not sure how you got from that to me thinking non-LLBers do not have an understanding of law.

The same advice goes to you: the SQE has been much discussed on the Law and legal careers forums. Have a read of them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 52
Do university look at a your English literature grade as I got a 4(c) or do they look at English language which I got a 6(B+)
Reply 53
Hi, reading this advice back after a few weeks as a law student I realise it’s really good advice. I didn’t really have a clue what to expect when I wrote this 😂
Original post by Gingerbread101
They may be spread over different years, but the compulsory modules for a qualifying law degree are constitutional law, contract law, criminal law, trusts law, EU law, land law and tort law :smile:

you told me that i should focus on my GCSE's for Uni. Are 5 GCSE's good (Maths, English Language, MFL, Geography and music)?
(edited 5 years ago)
is law actually interesting and what type of person would u recommend to do law
Sorry let me change my question. Are they enough to at least get into uni? im guessing they are since you said they are the bare minimum
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry let me change my question. Are they enough to get into uni? im guessing they are since you said they are the bare minimum
Original post by LGBTvoice
Question says it all really. Feel free to ask away...

Hey, I am interested in studying law at Northumbria uni because of the Mlaw course they offer, however since its not a russell group would my job opportunities be hindered?
thx
Original post by LGBTvoice
Question says it all really. Feel free to ask away...

Just wondering what did you did for a levels and what a level courses you would reccomend for a law degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending