The Student Room Group

tips for driving test

Okay so my driving instructor recommended that i book my practical driving test, so I did. I have done 12 hours of lessons and no private practice, driving doesnt make me nervous but since booking my test and now that my test is coming nearer im really panicing for the test its self. I suffered really bad with anxiety meaning that any stressful situation would make me really ill, if anyone has any tips or recommendations to help calm me that would be fabulous...
Original post by teapot&saucer
Okay so my driving instructor recommended that i book my practical driving test, so I did. I have done 12 hours of lessons and no private practice, driving doesnt make me nervous but since booking my test and now that my test is coming nearer im really panicing for the test its self. I suffered really bad with anxiety meaning that any stressful situation would make me really ill, if anyone has any tips or recommendations to help calm me that would be fabulous...

Hi! I passed my driving test in February but anxiety definitely affected my driving. I originally booked my test for January, but my instructor said I needed more time as I was making a lot of silly mistakes and just wasn't ready. I managed to pass first time though when I did it in February!

I would say take each step as it comes, like in the test just focus on what you're currently doing (e.g. going on a roundabout), don't worry about what is ahead, take it as it comes, I think that helped me in my test.

Also, before the test, your instructor should give you the chance to practice your driving for 30 mins to an hour (maybe slightly longer too). I chose to practice for 30 mins before the test as I didn't want to overdo it as it would build up my nerves more so you may want to do that too, but if you think practicing longer will help then do that :smile:

Good luck! Hopefully that helped somewhat haha
maybe some little medication from your local pharmacy can help you out?
Have a lesson before your test, chat to the instructor in the waiting room at the test centre and fit in as many lessons as possible in the week before your test
Reply 5
I have passed my driving test. Its nothing to worry about I have Passed And the test is soo fast. You dont relise how fast it is. just pretend you are driving alone and with mindset of passing and you can pass. i had only done 13 lessons
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending