The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2019

Bonjour السلام عليكم 你好 Hej Hallo Γειά Ciao 今日は Olá 안녕 Привет ¡Hola!

Time for a new thread! Post below and good luck!

What language(s) do you want to study:
Universities you're applying to:
A level subjects:
GCSE grades:
Other information:

Not sure which language to study? Read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4927042
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What language(s) do you want to study: Japanese
Universities you're applying to: Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester and SOAS
A level subjects: Japanese, RS & history
GCSE grades: 3As, 7A*s
Other information: I want to study Japanese because I really love the culture (particularly the arts such calligraphy, tea ceremony, architecture, etc) but I also love other languages. I really want to pick up German again which I did for GCSE and for half of year 12 and I plan to also start learning French as I love the country.
Well ive just got my gcse results and i can do the alevels i want but im confused on a carrier path as i was focused on criminology however i would like to learn a language(s) and im considering accountancy

My alevels options are
Maths
Economics
Government and politics
Spanish
Original post by daniellaogun1
Well ive just got my gcse results and i can do the alevels i want but im confused on a carrier path as i was focused on criminology however i would like to learn a language(s) and im considering accountancy

My alevels options are
Maths
Economics
Government and politics
Spanish

In theory you can learn a language at uni without doing it as part of your degree (most big unis will have a language centre that offer evening courses or self-study courses), but in practice it's difficult - you have to be very driven and disciplined.
Bonjour à tous! :biggrin:

What language(s) do you want to study: French and German
Universities you're applying to: Definitely: Cambridge, Bristol, Durham; Probably: Nottingham, Cardiff
A level subjects: English Literature, History, French. I have an AS in Maths.
GCSE grades: 2 9s, 1 7, 7 A*s, 1 A
Other information: I'll be learning German ab initio! Seems challenging but I'm really looking forward to it. Has anyone else done this or have plans to do so?
Spanish and French
Universities you're applying to
UCL, KCL, Southampton, Bristol and Royal Holloway
A level subjects: English Literature, Spanish and French
GCSE grades: 4 A*s 4 As 2 Bs
Other information: I also want to pick up a third language at degree level, preferably Italian or Portuguese, but not many universities I’m interested in offer the choice to study 3 languages.
What language(s) do you want to study: Spanish with translation (other than at Reading or Birmingham), possibly Italian ab initio if I go to Nottingham
Universities you're applying to: (still not sure) Nottingham, Leicester, Oxford Brookes, Reading, Royal Holloway, Hull, Birmingham
A level subjects: spanish, art, history
GCSE grades: 5, 6, 6, A, A, A, A, A*, A*, C (core RE oops)

Any reviews of any of these unis would be fabbb
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
What language(s) do you want to study: Spanish & French :smile:
Universities you're applying to: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol
A level subjects: Spanish, French & Latin
GCSE grades: 8A*s, 2As
Other information: I love love the Cambridge & Nottingham courses, I really look forward to studying hispanic literature in particular!! I hope I'll get a Cam interview, I'm so nervous about it though.
Reply 8
What language(s) do you want to study: Japanese Studies (Japanese in SOAS),or maybe a combined degree.
Universities you're applying to: Totally: Sheffield, SOAS. Probably: Manchester, Newcastle, Durham.
Other information: I'm an international student on a foundation course now, can't really remember my GCSE grades. ( wasn't good anyway )
What language(s) do you want to study: French and then spanish or arabic or both
Universities you're applying to: Applied to Cambridge, Durham, Warwick and considering UCL, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester
A level subjects: French, Spanish, Maths
GCSE grades: 8 A*s 3 As with A*s in French, Spanish and German
Other information: Got an offer from Durham
Reply 10
What language(s) do you want to study: French and Arabic
Universities you're applying to: Already applied to: Oxford, Durham, UCL/SOAS, Exeter and Manchester
A level subjects: French, Italian, English Lang. (Predicted AAA)
GCSE grades: 4A*, 5A, 1B
Other information: Durham condition offer (AAA) and Manchester interview
Original post by Elisamary30
Spanish and French
Universities you're applying to
UCL, KCL, Southampton, Bristol and Royal Holloway
A level subjects: English Literature, Spanish and French
GCSE grades: 4 A*s 4 As 2 Bs
Other information: I also want to pick up a third language at degree level, preferably Italian or Portuguese, but not many universities I’m interested in offer the choice to study 3 languages.

Oh my gosh! You literally want to do the same as me haha. I'm looking to do French, Spanish and Portuguese Ab Initio
Original post by vessel
What language(s) do you want to study: Spanish & French :smile:
Universities you're applying to: Cambridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol
A level subjects: Spanish, French & Latin
GCSE grades: 8A*s, 2As
Other information: I love love the Cambridge & Nottingham courses, I really look forward to studying hispanic literature in particular!! I hope I'll get a Cam interview, I'm so nervous about it though.

I loved Nottingham too!
What language(s) do you want to study: French, Spanish and maybe Portuguese or Italian Ab Initio
Universities you're applying to: Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter, Newcastle, Aberystwyth
A level subjects: French, Spanish, Geography, Sociology
Predicted: A* A* A A
GCSE grades: 9, 8, 7, 5 A*, 3 A, 1 C (yay thanks dance..)
Other information: Is anyone applying to any of the same unis as me? Also, who's already got offers?! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 12johnsonA034
What language(s) do you want to study: French, Spanish and maybe Portuguese or Italian Ab Initio
Universities you're applying to: Birmingham, Nottingham, Exeter, Newcastle, Aberystwyth
A level subjects: French, Spanish, Geography, Sociology
Predicted: A* A* A A
GCSE grades: 9, 8, 7, 5 A*, 3 A, 1 C (yay thanks dance..)
Other information: Is anyone applying to any of the same unis as me? Also, who's already got offers?! :smile:

Somehow I got an unconditional from Nottingham if I put as firm or BBB with an A in my EPQ!!! Your grades are amazing - you'll most likely get one too!
Original post by vessel
Somehow I got an unconditional from Nottingham if I put as firm or BBB with an A in my EPQ!!! Your grades are amazing - you'll most likely get one too!

Haha thank you so much!
And wow, congratulations on getting an unconditional that's fab well done!

When did you apply and where is your first choice gonna be?
What language(s) do you want to study: Russian and Polish/Czech
Universities you're applying to: Sheffield, Leeds, Edinburgh, Bristol, QMUL
A level subjects: English Literature, English Language, French
GCSE grades: 2A*, 4A, 3B, 1C.
Other information: I've been learning Russian in my own time but I'll be taking it ab initio - if I am successful in applying to Sheffield then I'll be doing Russian and Polish for sure. I'm really interested in international relations too, so I might try and get a module in on that side of things, but I'm not too bothered if not. I also really like the University of Nottingham but I want to move away from home, so I didn't apply there. It's so nice though ^-^
Reply 17
Original post by 12johnsonA034
Haha thank you so much!
And wow, congratulations on getting an unconditional that's fab well done!

When did you apply and where is your first choice gonna be?

Thank yoou!
So I applied on 11th October and if I get Cambridge (p unlikely haha) I'll probably firm it - if not, I think Warwick (again, if I get it) and Nottingham would be my top 2!
What about you?
What languages you want to study: French and Arabic University I’ve applied to: UCLanA level subjects: French, Sociology and Law GCSE grades: 2A 5B 4C Other information: I’m taking Arabic ab initio so if anyone can help please do 😂Also I’m going to do certificates in German along side my studies in the languages centre.
Hi guys! Good luck to everyone applying!

What language(s) do you want to study: Chinese (ab initio) and French
Universities you're applying to: Edinburgh, Leeds, Warwick, SOAS and Reading
A level subjects: French, Maths, Chemistry and AS Economics
GCSE grades: 7, 6, 5, 6A, 1B
Other information: I'm so scared that I'll be the only total beginner in Chinese! I want to study it because I was born in Hong Kong and I lived there until I was 7 so I've always had an interest in Chinese history and culture. I found it a bit of a shame that I wasn't able to learn more about it. Also it's something that is COMPLETELY different from the languages that are available to us at school so I would like to challenge myself with it.

Quick Reply

Latest