The Student Room Group

Just graduated uni... what to do now?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fabragas27
Ha, well you can sit there on the unemployment line and claim benefits with 40,000+ in student loans, being a parasite and basically sticking your middle up to the tax payers.

Congratulations you are a productive member of society.

The absolute cheek of some people on this website.
Original post by natesmith1016
How do I lack humility? You insinuated that my IQ might be lacking and not able to get on a physics course. I majored in physics.

How is majoring in physics for part of an undergraduate degree evidence that you are PhD calibre? You haven't even demonstrated that you can complete an undergrad physics degree.
Original post by Student-95
How is majoring in physics for part of an undergraduate degree evidence that you are PhD calibre? You haven't even demonstrated that you can complete an undergrad physics degree.

Because I transferred to a different country.. and was told that I didn’t have the qualifications to do it at Glasgow. Which was actually quite weird because when I applied out of high school I got on the physics course at Glasgow but decided to go to an American school for freshman year. Either way, his IQ test comment was really out of place as I’ve never heard of anyone use an IQ test to determine whether or not they should be on a PhD course.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey thanks for that story it was really cool! I’m so glad for your mate and you seem really proud of them. It’s nice to hear an answer that isn’t doom and gloom lol. A lot of people here seem to be really pessimistic and downright nasty at times.

If I have to get another undergrad degree fine it’s no big deal. I have like a year of physics credits so I’d already be nearly halfway done with my degree due to the other credits I’ve got. There’s a Jesuit university in my city that would give me free tuition too since I went to a Jesuit high school, lol.

No problem! Thought it was relevant so happy to share :smile: I know what you mean. It's okay to disagree, but it should be done tactfully at the very least! Some people seem to enjoy the view from their high horse far more than is good for them :wink:

Re: the physics; good for you! At least that should make it a quicker process to get where you're going. Free tuition is always good but be mindful of teaching quality (ie. make sure they have good lecturers etc.). I'm sure you've already considered whether it is the right type of place for you anyway. In conclusion; go for it! :P
How do I lack humility? You insinuated that my IQ might be lacking and not able to get on a physics course. I majored in physics.

I said you lack humility because you have stated clearly that you have the intellect to succeed in a physics phd based on having done something like one year of a degree in it. If your reasoning had been that you had scored highly in first year physics at MIT I'd accept the logic. I would think that any British student who made that statement (short of being a superstar at maths at Cambridge) was being naive also.

I didn't insinuate that your IQ is lacking nor that you couldnt get onto a physics course. Its pretty easy to get onto a physics course. Much harder to get a proper (ie funded) place at a research university to do a phd and complete it. My suggestion was that for someone to want to do physics when they already have undergrad in another discipline with the aim of going to a high level should be careful that they have the aptitude to do what they hope for. Physics post doc researchers have about the highest IQs of any academic discipline - it seems a highly g loaded area. Great if you have what it takes, an expensive exercise if you don't.
Original post by OscarLima
No problem! Thought it was relevant so happy to share :smile: I know what you mean. It's okay to disagree, but it should be done tactfully at the very least! Some people seem to enjoy the view from their high horse far more than is good for them :wink:

Re: the physics; good for you! At least that should make it a quicker process to get where you're going. Free tuition is always good but be mindful of teaching quality (ie. make sure they have good lecturers etc.). I'm sure you've already considered whether it is the right type of place for you anyway. In conclusion; go for it! :P

Thanks you’re a beautiful person have a beautiful day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending