The Student Room Group

Interested in studying Medicine but not Biology..

Someone help me sort my head out please.

this is very VERY long btw :/

So, I have been interested in studying Medicine for a while but my interest fluctuates constantly because I am so indecisive. It's like I feel this intense passion for it for a while and I adamantly research details into it, come up with things to write in my personal statement ,emailing places for voluntary work, watch videos on UKCAT prep, ALOT of documentaries about the NHS and just generally medicine related stuff to give me a glimpse of what life may be and just determine if this is the career I truly want to pursue because it almost takes most if your lifetime and I just want to solify that I really want to dedicate my life to that job role. Albeit, at the same time the thought of putting in so much for the career scares me and I start to question if I really want to pursue medicine. and I feel as though this is not really acceptable because if you want to do med, you need to be 100% with it before starting, because what is the point of stopping in the middle of your course after all the prep.
Moreover, from GCSEs I haven't really enjoyed Biology, tbh I don't mind if I HAVE to do it, but A levels are totally different (as people say) and that scares me a lot. I just believe I won't be able to do well in it and then not get decent grades and so not get into the med school I want to and that'll disappoint me hugely and I can't have that.
Nonetheless, to conclude I am just very very very confused as to what I want to do, a few days ago I started doubting doing bio at a-level because I was not putting in the effort I did with Chem and Maths in the pre a-level work we were given. And over that I added, how I couldn't bother reading the bio a-level revision guide I borrowed( for a glimpse into the course), to the list of reasons I should not do bio. Also, i ocassionally question if i want to do med because of the pride i will feel being a doctor, the stupid feeling of superiority over others which pisses me off that i harness it. I don't think I want to do med because of the genuine interest in the biology behind it, bc tbh I think idc, BUT i do think i am interested in helping people and doing things like surgery because it seems exciting. This then led me to today looking at other sci and engineering courses at a few unis I looked at and tbh I just could not be bothered to deeply research them because my attention was on medicine and the dissapointment i felt because i was questioning has just got me feeling sombre and confused and so I finally decided to write here because I am frustrated and confused hoping someone could offer me some advice. Btw this is a very big deal because i will only do Bio a level if I want to do Medicine, otherwise I don't really want to do it (as of right now I think So, bc it does not interest me THAT much) and over that I not sure if I want to do physics instead of bio, bc I only like some aspects of phys like nuclear and electromagnetism and I like diseases in bio but dislike the reproductive processes stuff in detail. So it is a mess :/
Original post by cashlinrosario
Someone help me sort my head out please.

this is very VERY long btw :/

So, I have been interested in studying Medicine for a while but my interest fluctuates constantly because I am so indecisive. It's like I feel this intense passion for it for a while and I adamantly research details into it, come up with things to write in my personal statement ,emailing places for voluntary work, watch videos on UKCAT prep, ALOT of documentaries about the NHS and just generally medicine related stuff to give me a glimpse of what life may be and just determine if this is the career I truly want to pursue because it almost takes most if your lifetime and I just want to solify that I really want to dedicate my life to that job role. Albeit, at the same time the thought of putting in so much for the career scares me and I start to question if I really want to pursue medicine. and I feel as though this is not really acceptable because if you want to do med, you need to be 100% with it before starting, because what is the point of stopping in the middle of your course after all the prep.
Moreover, from GCSEs I haven't really enjoyed Biology, tbh I don't mind if I HAVE to do it, but A levels are totally different (as people say) and that scares me a lot. I just believe I won't be able to do well in it and then not get decent grades and so not get into the med school I want to and that'll disappoint me hugely and I can't have that.
Nonetheless, to conclude I am just very very very confused as to what I want to do, a few days ago I started doubting doing bio at a-level because I was not putting in the effort I did with Chem and Maths in the pre a-level work we were given. And over that I added, how I couldn't bother reading the bio a-level revision guide I borrowed( for a glimpse into the course), to the list of reasons I should not do bio. Also, i ocassionally question if i want to do med because of the pride i will feel being a doctor, the stupid feeling of superiority over others which pisses me off that i harness it. I don't think I want to do med because of the genuine interest in the biology behind it, bc tbh I think idc, BUT i do think i am interested in helping people and doing things like surgery because it seems exciting. This then led me to today looking at other sci and engineering courses at a few unis I looked at and tbh I just could not be bothered to deeply research them because my attention was on medicine and the dissapointment i felt because i was questioning has just got me feeling sombre and confused and so I finally decided to write here because I am frustrated and confused hoping someone could offer me some advice. Btw this is a very big deal because i will only do Bio a level if I want to do Medicine, otherwise I don't really want to do it (as of right now I think So, bc it does not interest me THAT much) and over that I not sure if I want to do physics instead of bio, bc I only like some aspects of phys like nuclear and electromagnetism and I like diseases in bio but dislike the reproductive processes stuff in detail. So it is a mess :/

It's normal to have doubts and questions - it's not necessary to have 100% confidence and certainty in all your impressions and decisions.

Medicine isn't the same as GCSE or A level biology. That said, there is a good amount of applied human biology (along with a lot of other stuff) which you will need to learn in order to do the job. If you really don't like learning biological principles or find it deeply uninteresting, you're probably not really going to enjoy medicine.

Obviously as a medical student you will have to learn about "reproductive processes" - the good news is that this will be just in humans, not plants, if that makes things a bit more interesting for you?

Make sure you're interested in medicine and doctoring as a complete package - try not to make a decision based on preconceived ideas about particular specialties e.g. surgery.

I see you've mentioned volunteering - have you done any medical work experience i.e. shadowing practising doctors? What did you make of that?

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your work as a doctor, but be aware that the NHS (i.e. your future employer) doesn't really afford doctors any special status. So if that's something you're hoping for, you might end up rather disappointed. You do get a 20% discount at Nando's though.
I totally understand you. I felt this way for the past 4 years!!!! Don't worry you have a whole year to think about what you want to apply for!
I used to hate bio and would also question my motives for wanting to do med
Right now , please just try to get some volunteering opportunities and work experience in healthcare! That way even if u do med or ecen go do pharmacy or midwifery or smth the experience is still relevant

Okay the BIGGG problem with you: u haven't looked at bio a level properly. you havent actually looked into it properly and read the bio a level books have you? Give it more time!

Basically, don't just SKIM through the revision guide! I used to DISLIKE bio sooo much in year 11 but now it's actually interesting!

Also, sitting thru bio for 2 years is diff from medicine. If you gotta do bio then you gotta do it! Med is different from bio. It's more pleasant that you're imagining and the plant stiff is deaaadddd but it's short

Don't be lazy to look at a level Bio more. Bio is soo boring sometimes but you have to sit through it a bit more and you'll realise it's actually nice

Right now focus on getting really good AS grades
Original post by haadib011
I totally understand you. I felt this way for the past 4 years!!!! Don't worry you have a whole year to think about what you want to apply for!
I used to hate bio and would also question my motives for wanting to do med
Right now , please just try to get some volunteering opportunities and work experience in healthcare! That way even if u do med or ecen go do pharmacy or midwifery or smth the experience is still relevant

Okay the BIGGG problem with you: u haven't looked at bio a level properly. you havent actually looked into it properly and read the bio a level books have you? Give it more time!

Basically, don't just SKIM through the revision guide! I used to DISLIKE bio sooo much in year 11 but now it's actually interesting!

Also, sitting thru bio for 2 years is diff from medicine. If you gotta do bio then you gotta do it! Med is different from bio. It's more pleasant that you're imagining and the plant stiff is deaaadddd but it's short

Don't be lazy to look at a level Bio more. Bio is soo boring sometimes but you have to sit through it a bit more and you'll realise it's actually nice

Right now focus on getting really good AS grades

Thanks for that, now two terms in and 3/4 done with AS content, bio isn't as bad as I initially anticipated. It is just answering exam questions is what I'm struggling with.
I have done work experience and starting volunteering soon. Thanks, appreciate it.
Original post by Democracy
It's normal to have doubts and questions - it's not necessary to have 100% confidence and certainty in all your impressions and decisions.

Medicine isn't the same as GCSE or A level biology. That said, there is a good amount of applied human biology (along with a lot of other stuff) which you will need to learn in order to do the job. If you really don't like learning biological principles or find it deeply uninteresting, you're probably not really going to enjoy medicine.

Obviously as a medical student you will have to learn about "reproductive processes" - the good news is that this will be just in humans, not plants, if that makes things a bit more interesting for you?

Make sure you're interested in medicine and doctoring as a complete package - try not to make a decision based on preconceived ideas about particular specialties e.g. surgery.

I see you've mentioned volunteering - have you done any medical work experience i.e. shadowing practising doctors? What did you make of that?

There's nothing wrong with taking pride in your work as a doctor, but be aware that the NHS (i.e. your future employer) doesn't really afford doctors any special status. So if that's something you're hoping for, you might end up rather disappointed. You do get a 20% discount at Nando's though.

Thank you for this, as of now I'm doing alright and I have done work experience and am starting volunteering soon.
it's like you want a car but can't drive. it is possible but why
I have not studied medicine, but it is pretty obvious there will be a lot of biology (physiology, anatomy, etc). Therefore, learning biology is part of becoming a doctor. I don't know what the reason is behind you not liking biology at GCSE, perhaps it was not taught in a good way etc. If you truly do not like biology in general, especially the aspects that is important to medicine, then I doubt you'll enjoy medicine. It would be like somebody who does not like chemistry applying for pharmacy etc. Give yourself some breathing space, don't pressure yourself into making a decision. After some time, things should become more clear to you.
I disagree with the above. Very little of my job and university study is anything like the biology I studied at school. In first year of uni, we did lots of cell stuff and molecular stuff that I found really boring (but other people enjoyed!). However, I enjoyed the biology I did at school.

Studing physiology with a clinical focus is totally different from studying biology at school, and even from studying physiology in the early years of uni.

Not all doctors like biology.

Enjoying medicine is about enjoying patient interaction; finding disease interesting; and finding reward in investigating and managing those diseases.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I disagree with the above. Very little of my job and university study is anything like the biology I studied at school. In first year of uni, we did lots of cell stuff and molecular stuff that I found really boring (but other people enjoyed!). However, I enjoyed the biology I did at school.

Studing physiology with a clinical focus is totally different from studying biology at school, and even from studying physiology in the early years of uni.

Not all doctors like biology.

Enjoying medicine is about enjoying patient interaction; finding disease interesting; and finding reward in investigating and managing those diseases.

I did not say that the type of biology you learn in medical school is the same as type of biology one learns in high school. I stated that it is important (in my opinion) to like the medicine related aspects of biology such as anatomy and physiology. Obviously every medical school is different. From what I have been told by my medical friends there was a large amount of what I said above in their course (one of them studied at cambridge). Perhaps you had a different experience at your school. Anyway, I am sure you can get through medical school without liking physiology and anatomy etc, but you'll enjoy the student experience more if you did like those topics.

Once you become doctors I am sure things are different to medical school. I was commenting on the medical school itself and not life after it. But once again I reiterate, I have not studied medicine so I could not comment on how physio/anatomy heavy a particular school is.
Most Medical Schools require you to have Chemistry A level plus one other from Maths OR Biology (and a 3rd). So you can actually get into Medical School without Biology A level. I think that should tell you that the “biology” you do as a doctor is very different to anything you study at school.

Latest

Trending

Trending