The Student Room Group

Body aches after going to gym

after i go to the gym and work on certain muscles the next day those muscles hurt and it stops me from going everyday because im scared of damaging anything. also when im at the gym i dont go very extreme at all so i dont think thats the reason. any tips on how to avoid this or if its a sign im doing something wrong?
Original post by idrc
after i go to the gym and work on certain muscles the next day those muscles hurt and it stops me from going everyday because im scared of damaging anything. also when im at the gym i dont go very extreme at all so i dont think thats the reason. any tips on how to avoid this or if its a sign im doing something wrong?

Sounds like it's probably DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) to me - should feel like a stiff kind of pain that feels good when you stretch :smile: It's normal and it's a sign you're working your muscles in a way they're not used to - make sure you properly stretch and warm up/cool down before and after working out. Taking a hot bath or shower also helps.

After a while your body will get used to the exercise and it won't be so bad. Make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough rest. You can still work out even if you have doms, sometimes I find this actually helps :woo:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Sounds like it's probably DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) to me - should feel like a stiff kind of pain that feels good when you stretch :smile: It's normal and it's a sign you're working your muscles in a way they're not used to - make sure you properly stretch and warm up/cool down before and after working out. Taking a hot bath or shower also helps.

After a while your body will get used to the exercise and it won't be so bad. Make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough rest. You can still work out even if you have doms, sometimes I find this actually helps :woo:

thank you this is really helpful, do u reccomend still going everyday then?
Original post by idrc

If you're brand new to working out going every day might be too much - what are you doing in the gym? :h: Most people don't go every day even if they've been working out for many years....

If you absolutely want to go every day you need to build in 'active rest' days where you do some lighter exercise like walking or gentle cardio or gentle yoga/stretching - that kind of thing.

If you want to increase your strength/fitness rest is as important as exercises - your body needs time to repair and stronger :h:
Reply 4
i dont lift but i use the different machines that work on specific areas like abs. ive been to the gym only 3 times because of the aches. i think ill go 3-5 times a week so hopefully i dont feel too sore.
Original post by idrc

I feel sore after going to the gym as well. I initially went all work days without a break. Kinda astupid, so i changed it and now I just hit the gym 3x a week and then do long walks every day 4x a week. That's what the perfect balance for me is:tongue:
Original post by idrc

No. You need your rest days, these are recovery days and you grow on your recovery days.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194
Go 3-4 x a week, unless you have strong sharp pain you can work out through the aches. It'll feel sore to begin with then your muscles will warm up. If you're sore your performance might be a bit reduced but nothing major.
Original post by idrc

I had the same problem when exercising. Have you tried BCAAs? These are branched chain amino acids that help with muscle recovery before and after an intense work out. I get mine from Bulk powders, they offer a range of options from gluten free, dairy free, GM free and vegan friendly products. Hope this helped :smile:
Hello idrc!

Two answers for you :
1. IS TOTALLY NORMAL for you to feel sore on the muscles to trained a few days before, especially if you just started lifting after some time.
2. If you are doing exercises without the help of a professional, is possible that you are doing your exercise the WRONG way... don't be afraid to ask! A lot of people don't actually know what they are doing.. weightlifting is an art.
I tried dieting but it made me feel hungry. It's supposed to, means it's working!

Quick Reply

Latest