The Student Room Group

Am I too skinny and what to do about it

I'm 19 and I weigh about 45 kg and I often get told I'm too skinny(like I don't know it). I've always been like this, but now my parents are concerned about me because they think my weight is not normal. It's not an eating disorder or a diet, it's just that I don't really eat much. Any tips on how to change that?
Without knowing your height or gender it's hard to say. You could be a healthy weight or you could be underweight.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 19 and I weigh about 45 kg and I often get told I'm too skinny(like I don't know it). I've always been like this, but now my parents are concerned about me because they think my weight is not normal. It's not an eating disorder or a diet, it's just that I don't really eat much. Any tips on how to change that?

Find something you love to eat! If you don’t have much interest in food then you might be bored of your diet so you need to try some new things.
How tall are you? I'm the same I don't eat much either, don't know why though *shrugs*
EAT MORE.
But if you have any health issues consult a doctor.

Start slowly, so rather than eating 2kg of pasta a day, add some olive oil to foods, for example.

And start a good exercise regime as well.
All the above are right but also kinda wrong.
I am 17, weigh 43kg, and I'm 5'6. Yes, I am very skinny and I am underweight.

However I have an extremely fast metabolism which has been a huge issue for me throughout my teen years. It wasn't noticeable as a kid as I was small but it affects me a lot now. No matter how much I eat I gain very little or nothing at all. Christmas dinners come and go to no effect. Eating lots of protein goes with no effect.

I have been to the doctors about this and they say that due to my family history of a fast metabolism they are not majorly concerned at the moment. It has given me huge self esteem issues being so skinny (especially when a girl at my orchestra made a joke about me being skeletal without realising it affected me so much) and I hate photos of my knobly knees and skinny arms. I just hold on to the fact it gradually eases out when I get older and I'll find it easier to gain weight.

Causes for skinniness:
- hyperthyroidism (See a doctor as this could be your case)
- fast metabolism (usually genetic, ask family members)
- not eating enough or not eating healthily

When it is an issue:
- your period stops (sorry haven't checked to see if you're a girl or boy whoops)
- you become anaemic due to lack of iron
- you have other health issues
- doctors are genuinely concerned

Things that help:
- try try try having a little more to eat each day
- weight lifting to build muscle mass
- protein, healthy foods, nuts, red meat
- accepting yourself for your body at the moment

I know how hard it is being constantly reminded of your weight and it's out of your control. I hope things do get better but i suggest seeing your doctor to see if they think it's a concern first. I'm two years younger and 2kg less so we are about the same aha xxx
Also DO NOT FORCE FEED ffs everyone. Yes she's underweight but so am I and usually it's for a reason if it's a fast metabolism like me. The body cannot handle loads and loads more food
I get what you're trying to say - they need to eat more- But that's not the answer. The body cannot handle that. They need a structured calorie intake
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
How tall are you? I'm the same I don't eat much either, don't know why though *shrugs*

I'm 5' 4" and sometimes people are a bit concerned about my weight but I tell them I'm healthy but I still get weird looks
Reply 8
Original post by bluebells1
All the above are right but also kinda wrong.
I am 17, weigh 43kg, and I'm 5'6. Yes, I am very skinny and I am underweight.

However I have an extremely fast metabolism which has been a huge issue for me throughout my teen years. It wasn't noticeable as a kid as I was small but it affects me a lot now. No matter how much I eat I gain very little or nothing at all. Christmas dinners come and go to no effect. Eating lots of protein goes with no effect.

I have been to the doctors about this and they say that due to my family history of a fast metabolism they are not majorly concerned at the moment. It has given me huge self esteem issues being so skinny (especially when a girl at my orchestra made a joke about me being skeletal without realising it affected me so much) and I hate photos of my knobly knees and skinny arms. I just hold on to the fact it gradually eases out when I get older and I'll find it easier to gain weight.

Causes for skinniness:
- hyperthyroidism (See a doctor as this could be your case)
- fast metabolism (usually genetic, ask family members)
- not eating enough or not eating healthily

When it is an issue:
- your period stops (sorry haven't checked to see if you're a girl or boy whoops)
- you become anaemic due to lack of iron
- you have other health issues
- doctors are genuinely concerned

Things that help:
- try try try having a little more to eat each day
- weight lifting to build muscle mass
- protein, healthy foods, nuts, red meat
- accepting yourself for your body at the moment

I know how hard it is being constantly reminded of your weight and it's out of your control. I hope things do get better but i suggest seeing your doctor to see if they think it's a concern first. I'm two years younger and 2kg less so we are about the same aha xxx

Thank you for this! I haven't seen a doctor recently, but the last time I went I was told there were no abnormalities, so I think it must be the fast metabolism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending