The Student Room Group

What is the ideal amount of money to live off at Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matheos Crs
Yes, but your original comment pointed out to the fact that £10 per week is doable. Which in most cases except when someone is more of a vegetarian and has the ability to cook entire meals from scratch and also be able to meal-prep is not doable at all. For a first-year student, its more realistic to have a budget of £25 per week which is £100 on food per month. That is by no means an unattainable budget, nor is it limiting and also doesn’t require someone to have bucket loads of money. I think trying to aim at £10 budget will be limiting therefore affecting most people when it comes to mood and concentration especially since the OG is a student. Btw put emphasis on the *most people*, some students can live off that, but it will restrict most that are cooking for the first time and are used to homemade meals.

Right, I think we're on the same viewpoint here. I have stated that £10 a week is doable which, based on your last sentence, you agree with.

If other students want to spend more, then so be it, I’m not going to stop them spending more, or less even. As long as they’re happy and healthy that’s fine. When first starting an independent lifestyle, it’s fine to spend more when you’re first getting used to it; I spent more when I first started university. I do believe it is important to be able to cook and from scratch as well, which with time, can decrease the amount you spend on food.
Original post by clarkey500
Hello, haven’t heard from you in a while. How are you?

Firstly, 50g of protein is below the amount I stated in the post, so you’re deliberately trying to decrease the value of my post to fit your opinion.

Secondly, I have stated to you and to @Matheos Crs “we probably have different amenities available to us and are obviously different people” or something along those lines. Therefore, if you need more protein in your diet, add more protein. I never said you had to live of £25 a week, which you have called a ‘poverty level of consumption’ (which it isn’t), I was simply answering @KA99_'s question in the opening post of this thread - “would £2300 be a good amount of money to live off at Uni?”. The answer to this question is subject to opinion and lifestyle. As I spend less than that in a year, once accommodation has been paid for, yes, £2,300 is a good and reasonable amount of money to live off at university. Whereas, you obviously spend more. There is no ideal amount as everyone is different.

That is indeed a good conclusion to come to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Excluding accommodation/transport 50 quid a week is easily enough if you cook. If you don’t then the sky’s the limit.
It's just a question with far too many variables really, will massively vary on location and lifestyle, My budget in Glasgow/Edinburgh was maybe £1200 a month - after rent, transport, bills, food, uni stuff, without much really left over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending