The Student Room Group

should i be honest about my sexuality in sixth form?

I'm either gay or bisexual, i recently came out to my friends as bi and i'm so happy i've done it. However I'm not sure about if I want to be honest when I start my new sixth form. It's mixed and non-catholic and they even have a policy to not harass any students for their sexuality so I'd feel much more comfortable there than my all girls catholic secondary school, but I don't want people to judge me especially considering I'll be making all new friends. Do you think it's likely I'd be made fun of? I'm genuinely not sure since most people at my secondary school were pretty stuck up and conservative.
Reply 1
When do you start sixth form? I think once you get there you'll start to get a better idea of what the people are like there, and how they'd be likely to react. Are many of your friends going to the same sixth form as you?
Reply 2
It's nobody's business but your own, if you don't feel like you have or want to be "honest", don't talk about it. I never mentioned it but I also never denied being bisexual either if it ever came up, maybe that's an approach you could take.
You defo won’t get made fun of at sixth form for it. Generally (from my experience at sixth form) it will not be a big deal to people and you can talk about your sexuality as much or as little as you like.

However, you should make sure that you are comfortable and confident with your sexuality and being out.
I'd wait a little bit (but not outright lie, just be ambiguous if it comes up) and try to see if you can judge how accepting people might be. I personally didn't come out at sixth form because there were too many homophobic people around but you might find a more accepting crowd.
Some people can tell if you’re gay, so it should be fine. I wouldn’t just go to sixth form and tell people. Simply because one of my friends is gay and the way people are like with him, isn’t nice. He says that people don’t treat him like a guy. So don’t do it automatically.
Sixth form isn't like that. Most people will be totally cool with it and if you're honest from the start you'll make friends that really like the real you
Reply 7
Original post by Beth_H
When do you start sixth form? I think once you get there you'll start to get a better idea of what the people are like there, and how they'd be likely to react. Are many of your friends going to the same sixth form as you?

This September and one of my friends is going (she's one of the people I came out to). I made a couple friends at the open day and the atmosphere in general was pretty friendly but yeah maybe it's best to get to know more people first.
Reply 8
it’s nobody else’s business so if u don’t feel comfortable telling people don’t tell them 💞
Reply 9
Original post by FerrousS
I'd wait a little bit (but not outright lie, just be ambiguous if it comes up) and try to see if you can judge how accepting people might be. I personally didn't come out at sixth form because there were too many homophobic people around but you might find a more accepting crowd.

What do you mean by ambiguous? Like an 'i'd be open to it' kinda thing? Yeah I hope people will be relaxed when it comes to stuff like this.
Original post by Anonymous
Some people can tell if you’re gay, so it should be fine. I wouldn’t just go to sixth form and tell people. Simply because one of my friends is gay and the way people are like with him, isn’t nice. He says that people don’t treat him like a guy. So don’t do it automatically.

Haha yeah I wasn't planning on announcing it or anything I'm just not sure if I should be honest if it ever comes up. It sucks that your friend got treated badly :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
This September and one of my friends is going (she's one of the people I came out to). I made a couple friends at the open day and the atmosphere in general was pretty friendly but yeah maybe it's best to get to know more people first.

There's also a good chance that you'll meet other people there who are openly gay/bi, which can make coming out less daunting.
I don't think you have to 'come out' and announce or tell people your sexuality as it doesn't really concern anyone else (unless you want to ask them out or something). Just go and make friends - find the people who have similar values/interests as you and you'll be fine.

Edit: I just read your most recent post, if it ever comes up then yeah i'd be honest. There's plenty of bi/gay people in my sixth form and no one treats them differently. It's not so much like year 10 and 11 as people will have (hopefully) matured.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending