The Student Room Group

(Hopefully Not) A Cat-Astrophic A-level Journey: GYG 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Those marks :rave: I didn't even answer 74 marks worth of questions in further pure :eek: For someone who says they procrastinate so much you sure get awesome marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Original post by entertainmyfaith
hope your trip was good:smile: your scores are amazing!:thumbsup:

It was :yes:
Thank you!! :hugs:

Original post by MaizieAmyr
@nyxnko_ Thank you. Wow, those results are amazing, you should be very proud, this would be longer but I'm very tired. Also, do your PS.:poke:

Go to bed :hugs:
:laugh: Yeah, the poking.. :tongue:

Original post by 04MR17
97/100 :crazy:

That's just as good as me.:mmm:

For personal statements, the PS Helpers in the Personal Statement Advice forum can help you dramatically so I would thoroughly, thoroughly recommend using them.:yep:

The general rules I follow about drafts of anything is that the first draft can be as rough as you like: it's just a case of getting words on the page.

From there it's a case of being self-critical and improving and improving.:smile:

I used This personal statement writing tool, from UCAS, to get my first draft done, and I think you can say that worked out well for me.:giggle:

I know right?!? :gah: It's great that I'm as awesome as MR!!

Yeah, I think my main problem is getting stuff down. Thanks for the advice, though!! :hugs:

Original post by stalkingsilence
results :woo:
also um excuse me you start school september 3rd??? we start september 2nd which is extremely unfair!!! i only get back to the desert the friday before and i go to school that first sunday :cry2::cry:
glad you've had a relaxing summer!!! you so deserve it!!

yep, september 3rd :yes:
ah, that's horrible. hopefully, you won't be too jetlagged.. :crossedf:
haha thank you!! :hugs:

Original post by _gcx
great job.

not saying you should apply for maths

but

Spoiler

:rofl: already considered it and rejected it :tongue:
Reply 122
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Well done for those fab marks! :rave: You should be very proud! :hugs:

Also extremely jealous, would love to visit South Korea one day :love: and FOOOOOOOOOOOOD

You should go! It's very nice :yes:
:yum:
Are you a k-pop fan?

Original post by Lemur14
Those marks :rave: I didn't even answer 74 marks worth of questions in further pure :eek: For someone who says they procrastinate so much you sure get awesome marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I do procrastinate a lot :colondollar:
Original post by nyxnko_

I know, just kidding :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by Lemur14
I know, just kidding :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:
Original post by nyxnko_

Hehe I'm more into the K-indie/funky/hip-hop artists like K.Will, Heize, SURAN, DEAN and Lucia but I used to listen to so much CNBlue and Super Junior :colondollar:
Reply 127
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Hehe I'm more into the K-indie/funky/hip-hop artists like K.Will, Heize, SURAN, DEAN and Lucia but I used to listen to so much CNBlue and Super Junior :colondollar:

Same!! :five: I'm not too keen on all the super-into-it fangirling for major k-pop groups like BTS, EXO, etc. but k-indie is really good :tongue:
Honestly, I like their music more than I like them :colondollar:
Original post by nyxnko_

Welcome to my 2018-19 GYG!! :woo:
Whatever possessed me to make my GYG now, I don’t know… :facepalm:
Hi! I’m Kei and I’m here with my 2nd GYG! :hi: It’s (almost) a new school year, which means new goals, new GYG, etc. And again, I’m here to ‘beat procrastination’ and ‘motivate myself’ but y’all know the truth: I’m here to snoop around and see what everyone is up to :ninja: So here I am again!!

To those of you who kept up with my last GYG (which technically isn’t finished yet cos summer hasn’t ended), a huge huge huge THANK YOU is in order! :grouphugs: I don’t think I could have gotten through Year 12 without the huge support you guys gave me. To those of you who don’t know who I am, here’s my previous GYG if you like reading out-of-date blog posts or just have some free time handy: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74814810&postcount=1

Also, please appreciate the index that took forever to put together because I didn’t realise just how many updates I had written :colondollar: (Come to think of it, that index isn’t complete either :tongue:)

The All-Important Academic History
For GCSEs, I got 8A*s, 4As and a B. I’m not going to break that down but it is in my previous GYG if you’re interested. I could have done better but now, I’m just not that fussed anymore. It’s history.

As for AS, I managed to get 4As :woo: I've e-mailed my teachers about my raw marks but no replies yet so that will probably have to wait :/

Half-Hearted Aspirations
As of June 2018, I decided I’d like to read Natural Sciences at university and although I had considered Biological NatSci at one point, it occurred to me that there probably wasn’t much point to doing that because all the subjects I took for A-level are classed as ‘physical’. I’m also considering a degree in Chemistry and Maths at Leeds but I don’t know, it’ll probably be NatSci when it comes down to it. Ultimately, I want to read NatSci at Cambridge but :dontknow: Anything could happen :tongue:

I’m still applying to Singapore :rip: but y’know, it’s just in case I feel like I want to go there. It’s good for me to go but their term starts in August, before I get my A-level results and they’ve stated that I, myself, am expected to catch up on work and all that I’ve missed during that month or so and I’ll miss orientation and everything else because they won’t accept me until I get my A-level results. :sad:

All The Boring Subject Details (not very interesting to everyone so I’ve put most of it in expand-y thingies)
I’m going to have this section just because I had this section last year.

In Year 12, I did AS Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. For Year 13, I still haven’t decided which subjects I’m dropping (cos that heavily depends on my AS grades) but regardless, I still want to do my best.

Maths (Edexcel)

Further Maths (Edexcel)

Chemistry (AQA)

Physics (AQA)

UCAS

Cambridge (Natural Sciences) not yet applied
Durham (Natural Sciences) not yet applied
Exeter (Natural Sciences) not yet applied
Leeds (Chemistry and Maths) not yet applied
Keele (Natural Sciences) not yet applied

This is like a must-have for Year 13 threads. :lol: My current life crisis right now is applying to university so having this here is kinda necessary. Hopefully, I’ll get at least 3 offers but seeing as my personal statement still hasn’t written itself, I don’t think it’s very likely at this point in time. :colondollar: I’ll hopefully update this bit whenever it needs updating.

So yeah, this is my last year of school and it’s the big year! I know the rest of my life will depend on this year so I want to do my best!! So here’s to as little procrastination as possible this year! :cheers: Yep, plain old boring me! :biggrin:
Wow! This is a long first post (and I thought I had already cut down a lot :colondollar:) Anyways, I commend you if you made it this far. :king1:

EDIT (17/08/18) - Changed my thread title, to something very obnoxious but I really like my current banner so :dontknow:

Love you all :lovehug:
Kei

Well done for such amazing AS grades! And good luck for year 13!!!
Tag me too :biggrin:
Reply 129
Original post by Shadowdraconis
Well done for such amazing AS grades! And good luck for year 13!!!
Tag me too :biggrin:

Done!! :biggrin:
Kei!! The title!! I love it!!
Well done on your AS grades, you lil genius
Looking forward to following your journey through your final year, please tag me!
Reply 131
Original post by troubletracking
Kei!! The title!! I love it!!
Well done on your AS grades, you lil genius
Looking forward to following your journey through your final year, please tag me!

Awww.. glad you like it :biggrin:
Thank you!! :hugs: (although you aced your GCSEs :woo:)
Will tag you!! Are you doing a GYG this year?
Original post by nyxnko_
Awww.. glad you like it :biggrin:
Thank you!! :hugs: (although you aced your GCSEs :woo:)
Will tag you!! Are you doing a GYG this year?

We both smashed it, my friend
Thank you!:smile: And yeah, pretty sure I am, but I'm not sure when to post it, I'm thinking on the 1st September but idk
Reply 133
We both smashed it, my friend
Thank you!:smile: And yeah, pretty sure I am, but I'm not sure when to post it, I'm thinking on the 1st September but idk

Yep :five:
:hugs: Start it whenever you're free. (Just remember to mention/tag me in it :tongue:)
Original post by nyxnko_
Yep :five:
:hugs: Start it whenever you're free. (Just remember to mention/tag me in it :tongue:)

Yeye of course:five:
Reply 135
Yeye of course:five:

Thank you!! :lovehug:
Best of luck with your plans this year, they sound awesome! With those AS results, I'm sure you'll do great. :smile:

Definitely going to be following, so please tag me in this.
Reply 137
Original post by JoeyTanaka
Best of luck with your plans this year, they sound awesome! With those AS results, I'm sure you'll do great. :smile:

Definitely going to be following, so please tag me in this.

Thank you!! Good luck with Year 12 too!!
Will do!!
Reply 138
29/08/18: I’m a useless piece of trash :hide:

I technically didn’t promise anything so I haven’t really ignored any goals but still… other than marathoning k-dramas, playing an otome/RPG game and reorganising my room, I haven’t done anything. And with 4 days until school starts again, I’m really worried that I’ll fall behind everyone who have been working their socks off all summer. And even if they haven’t, they at least have gotten some work experience/uni visits done, which I haven’t. :emo:

Anyways, I’ve cleaned up my room a lot. The mattresses that used to take up a huge space in my room are now gone and instead, I’ve got an air purifier and ‘my house’ and well, an entire wall to put up posters!! :excited: I have also cleared out my cupboards and dumped a ton of stuff, donated a bunch of old clothes that I’ve always disliked (and which don’t fit me anymore :tongue:) as well as just cleaned it out a lot. My clothes are now all in one place which is really good and I can keep all my old class books together as reference material. My desk is also the cleanest that it’s been in weeks (except for a pile of documents that I have no idea where to put them) but in general, I’m just happier with my room and how it looks.
(Don't know why I felt I had to talk about all that

So, for the next few days, I, being somewhat organised, have made a ‘to-do list’.

At the very very very least, want to write some of my personal statement. This isn’t even all of it. I want a decent paragraph (if possible, two) that I can proudly present as my personal statement. And if all goes well, I will have that.

Next, I want to do some prep for SAT Physics, which is on October 6th (just 9 days before my UCAS deadline :eek:). And because I’m kinda rubbish and I didn’t do work over summer :getmecoat:, I’m going to try and work through 4 chapters of the book. I’ve already gone through Chapters 1 and 2 of my prep guide but I don’t see the point of going through it in order especially since most of the stuff that I’m comfortable with is in the front. Instead, I’m going to start from Chapter 23 and work backwards.

Then, I’m going to update my Maths and FM notes, which I think I last updated in January :colondollar: and then go through my Physics notes, which I need to find :tongue:

I’ve got a lot to do in the next 4 days so to commemorate that, I made (kinda generic) mini-schedule thing so that I won’t get too distracted :colondollar: With luck, I’ll hopefully stick to it. :crossedf:

So now, I’m going to celebrate the rest of my sister’s birthday and then start working hard tomorrow.

Love you all,
Kei

Tagged Lovelies :love:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Good luck sticking to the timetable:hugs:
Missed you:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending