The Student Room Group

Please help me feel less guilty

So I’ve been with someone for just over 2 mo the so not that long, however we were “speaking” for about 5months prior to that. Long story short I want to break up with him because I am deeply unhappy with my life and need to work on that before I can commit to a person. It makes it worse that I’m his first girlfriends, and I do love him but this is something I need to do for myself. But I can’t help feel so guilty with myself for doing this.
Can anyone give me advice/ give me reasons why it’s okay for me to break up with him.
Or am I actually a horrible person?
You shouldn’t feel guilty at ALL. Sometimes you need to take a break in relationships so you can focus on bettering yourself and your life. It not good on the other person if you’re feeling unhappy all the time. If he likes you a lot or loves you then he will wait.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve been with someone for just over 2 mo the so not that long, however we were “speaking” for about 5months prior to that. Long story short I want to break up with him because I am deeply unhappy with my life and need to work on that before I can commit to a person. It makes it worse that I’m his first girlfriends, and I do love him but this is something I need to do for myself. But I can’t help feel so guilty with myself for doing this.
Can anyone give me advice/ give me reasons why it’s okay for me to break up with him.
Or am I actually a horrible person?

I don’t think it makes you a horrible person. Maybe you should explain your situation to him in the way that you explained it in you OP? If I were in his position, I think I would understand. If you two love each other, perhaps you could do so in the understanding that the relationship would continue when you’re ready, if he’s happy to wait?

But ultimately, you are entitled to make you own decision, and doing so doesn’t make you a bad person at all.
Reply 3
Thank you both, that’s really made me feel somewhat better, at the end of the day sometimes you have to do things for yourself I guess.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you both, that’s really made me feel somewhat better, at the end of the day sometimes you have to do things for yourself I guess.

Happy to help, and I quite gree.
You just gotta do what's right for you.
Reply 6
Disgusting behaviour

Spoiler

You say in your post that you love him.

If this is the case, then he should be able to help you get through whatever you're going through. If you truly love someone, real love, you won't want to break up with them at all, because you will need them for whatever journey of self-healing you're going through.

So many people throw around the "love" word, yet don't seem to be able to understand what a real relationship is all about.

Any good relationship should make you feel stronger, not weaker, so if you feel that being with someone else is inhibiting your ability to think about yourself then there's something not right.

If you want to end it, end it. But if you need to break up with someone in order to "find yourself" then to be honest I don't think they're right for you at all.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending