The Student Room Group

Experiences with thrush?

I think I have thrush as I have all the symptoms and I am going to the doctor tomorrow to discuss it. I think I have had it for around 5 days now. Anyone else have these experiences and if so please help and how long did yours last. Thank u
Hello there :smile:

Maaaany people experience thrush, but the good thing is it's really easy to treat, as it's a fungus and not a virus.

You made the right decision to go to the Doctors/Sexual Health Clinic as there, they will ask about your symptoms and either a) start the treatment if it's clear it's thrush, or b) will examine the penis/vagina (I don't know your sex by your username, sorry :redface:), determine it's thrush and start treatment or determine if it's an STI and start alternative treatment.

You'll often need antifungal medicine to get rid of thrush. This can be a tablet you take, a tablet you insert into your vagina (pessary) or a cream to relieve the irritation. Thrush should clear up within a week, after 1 dose of medicine or by using the cream daily.

You might need to take treatment for longer (for up to 6 months) if you keep getting thrush (you get it more than twice in 6 months).
Your GP or sexual health clinic can help identify if something is causing your thrush, such as your period or sex. They'll recommend how often you should use treatment. :smile:

Here are some things you can do to ease comfort:

*use water and emollient (instead of soap), like E45 cream, to wash your penis or vagina
*dry the affected area properly after washing
*wear cotton underwear
*avoid sex until thrush has cleared up
*take showers instead of baths

Hope this helps, and hope you have a speedy recovery!
-El
Reply 2
Had a few brushes with Smersh and Spectre, my wife used to deal with thrush.
Reply 3
I've just got over a spell of thrush, the worst I've ever had of it. I didn't have as much of the classic discharge as I thought I'd have but I had intense itching - can't explain just how itchy it was, and then I came out in red plaques due to irritation all over down there and my thigh and down there was all swollen on one side. I treated at home at first with Canesten cream and it helped a lot, especially with the swelling but I wasn't cured so I went to my doc and they did swabs and gave me pessaries and a stronger version of the antifungal cream and touch wood, apart from my left over red lesion - I'm back to normal now. I've been told to use a moisturiser on the patch to help healing since antifungals can dry out irritated patches. I think the recent heatwave caused mine. All the sweat and no air down there :s-smilie:

It was so bad when it was at its worst. Everything set off the stinginess - my thighs rubbing off each other, my knickers, when I turned over in bed at night, doing a pee was stingy. Urgh, don't want to ever have it again! You're doing the right thing by going to the doctor since thrush can mimic other infections. They will most likely do a pelvic exam and take swabs. Some doctors allow you to take your own swabs if you prefer, mine did. Swab results can take about 2-4 days to come back depending on your surgery and if it comes back with a different germ than the fungus that causes thrush, they will most likely call you and arrange an appt or leave a prescription for you for a more appropriate medicine or cream.
Reply 4
I went to the doctor today and they gave me the tablet and cream, luckily enough mine doesn’t feel extremely bad so hopefully it goes away quick. Thank u all so much
Reply 5
Original post by Lilchelsxox
I think I have thrush as I have all the symptoms and I am going to the doctor tomorrow to discuss it. I think I have had it for around 5 days now. Anyone else have these experiences and if so please help and how long did yours last. Thank u

Glad someone got it, respect.
Do not use soap in that area buy some qv wash from a pharmacy, no bath additives ether such as bubbles, cotton underwear and unsented sanitary protection will prevent further problems
Reply 7
Hello, a few weeks ago my doctor has confirmed that I had thrush, which I wasn’t worried about because it’s natural. I got given the pessary and cream. I waited a week , the itchiness and redness has gone away, however the white watery discharge hasn’t. So I went out and got the oral pill to take myself, yet again it has been a week and I still have the white watery clear discharge, is this just my normal discharge ? I would use canetest however it doesn’t actually tell you if you have thrush.
Original post by Bp2000!
Hello, a few weeks ago my doctor has confirmed that I had thrush, which I wasn’t worried about because it’s natural. I got given the pessary and cream. I waited a week , the itchiness and redness has gone away, however the white watery discharge hasn’t. So I went out and got the oral pill to take myself, yet again it has been a week and I still have the white watery clear discharge, is this just my normal discharge ? I would use canetest however it doesn’t actually tell you if you have thrush.

speak to your doctor again as it might be something else causing the discharge.

Quick Reply

Latest