The Student Room Group

Better grades than I expected

I’ve done much better than I expected and got into my firm choice (which I’m happy about) but is it worth taking a gap year to go to a better university?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dillon12677
I’ve done much better than I expected and got into my firm choice (which I’m happy about) but is it worth taking a gap year to go to a better university?

Have you looked at UCAS Adjustment? If you've exceeded your firm offer (by the sounds of it, you have! well done!) then you're eligible to 'trade up' to another university without the risk of losing your current place :smile:

There isn't a centralised list of Adjustment vacancies, but register for it on UCAS (You'll have 5 days to find a uni to adjust to) and start phoning up universities you're interested in.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected

Wahoooo congratulations! You don't have to take a year out to go to a 'better' uni. Just get contacting ASAP :smile:

Hi,

First of all, congratulations!

If you've done better than predicted you might want to consider Adjustment. You can register on UCAS and this gives you the option to talk to other universities.

Hope that helps!

-Vic
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_Cow
Have you looked at UCAS Adjustment? If you've exceeded your firm offer (by the sounds of it, you have! well done!) then you're eligible to 'trade up' to another university without the risk of losing your current place :smile:

There isn't a centralised list of Adjustment vacancies, but register for it on UCAS (You'll have 5 days to find a uni to adjust to) and start phoning up universities you're interested in.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/ucas-adjustment-if-youve-done-better-expected

Original post by nulogicsound
Wahoooo congratulations! You don't have to take a year out to go to a 'better' uni. Just get contacting ASAP :smile:

I've tried adjustment but none of the universities i was interested in had my course :/
I've tried adjustment but none of the universities i was interested in had my course :/

Ah right.

In which case it might be worth taking a gap year, to be honest. You can earn some cash too! Have you definitely made sure none of the universities you're interested in have your course?
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
Ah right.

In which case it might be worth taking a gap year, to be honest. You can earn some cash too! Have you definitely made sure none of the universities you're interested in have your course?

Yeah most of the ones I was interested in didn't take part in adjustment other than Warwick who didn't have my course
Yeah most of the ones I was interested in didn't take part in adjustment other than Warwick who didn't have my course

It might still be worth speaking to admissions at the universities you are interested in. The phone lines should be quieter today!

Is there anything that puts you off about taking a year out?

I thought I'd take a year out but ended up taking quite a few gap year's haha and returning to Uni as a mature student.

You'll take whatever path is right for you but it sounds like you have a great opportunity to go to a top Uni so enjoy your year but stay driven would be my advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending