The Student Room Group

Should I re-apply to Cambridge or take my UCL offer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Akronp14
There is a saying that sparrow in a hand is far better then a pigeon on a tree. Life gives no guarantee you'll catch that pigeon but you may well have sparrow fly out of your hand while hoping to catch the pigeon.

I agree with this, you never know what can happen in a year, better safe than sorry
When you do the resit year, would it be as a private candidate or via your school? I don't know enough about the way A-level resits work but I know you can take A-level via distance learning. Could you not spend your first year at UCL and then reapply during that year? Or would it not be possible to resit the A-level (would it only be the exam?) during your first year at UCL?

I'm really sorry I don't know enough about the topic, but maybe that's something that might be possible? (BTW, I did the IB, that's why.
)
Reply 62
Original post by Miss_mischy
Could you not spend your first year at UCL and then reapply during that year?

You can't apply to Cambridge whilst attending another UK university.
Original post by Doonesbury
You can't apply to Cambridge whilst attending another UK university.

Fair enough. Feel slightly silly now.
Reply 64
Original post by Miss_mischy
Fair enough. Feel slightly silly now.

No, don't be. It's just a Cambridge-specific thing, not a standard thing. :smile:
e.g. Oxford allow you to apply whilst attending a different university.
To chime in on this conversation - I decided to apply for Cambridge (who did it at the time allow it) whilst studying at UCL - they required a supporting letter from UCL and evidence of achieving 2.1 + in any work done before application. In the end I fell in love with UCL and pulled out of the the extra Cambridge application and don't regret it for a minute!
(edited 5 years ago)
Your choice, whilst in the end it really doesn't matter, your experience maybe different, so preferring Cambridge may be justified. But with an offer from UCL, a highly reputable uni, with good links to everywhere etc. its a question of whether you want to spend another year applying for something which is not certain.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by HippoRhino3
with good links to hospitals

Do hospitals need archaeologists?
Original post by Doonesbury
Do hospitals need archaeologists?

lol, nvm, sorry about that :smile: argument stands

maybe some do anthropology after studying medicine, didnt read it properly :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by HippoRhino3
lol, nvm, sorry about that :smile: argument stands

maybe some do anthropology after studying medicine, didnt read it properly :smile:

OP wants to study Archaeology, not Medicine... :wink:
Original post by iwatermeloni
I received AAB (Latin, Biology, Maths) in my A Levels yesterday and I don't know what to do. I wanted to study Archaeology at my firm choice, Cambridge University, but missed out on the grade requirements (A*AA), which I know that I am capable of. Luckily I have a place at UCL but my heart is in Cambridge. Do I take a year out, re-apply and re-take maths to try and get that A* or do I go to UCL?

what did you end up doing in the end????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending