The Student Room Group

I'm too scared to ask this guy out

I like this guy and have done for a while. We train together at a sports club normally for about 10 hours a week (less during the summer). I literally have tried so many times to pluck up the courage to ask him out but I just can't do it to his face. I've decided that I might try and do it over email which I know sounds really lame but I have no other form of contact for him and just can't ask it to his face. He's quite quiet and I don't want it to be awkward for him if he wants to say no and I still want to train with him even if he rejects me.

Any tips on what to write?
Original post by Anonymous
I like this guy and have done for a while. We train together at a sports club normally for about 10 hours a week (less during the summer). I literally have tried so many times to pluck up the courage to ask him out but I just can't do it to his face. I've decided that I might try and do it over email which I know sounds really lame but I have no other form of contact for him and just can't ask it to his face. He's quite quiet and I don't want it to be awkward for him if he wants to say no and I still want to train with him even if he rejects me.

Try flirting. If he doesn't ask you out then find out what some of his interests are and then casually suggest doing an activity related to one of those interests.
It's going to be awkward if he says no regardless of how you do it. If you do it over email one or both of you are just going to anxious about the next time you see each other face to face - even more so if he rejects you. It's easier and fairer on everyone to just do it in person. At least when you walk away, no matter the outcome, you'll have a good idea of how the other person is feeling based on both words and expression.

If he rejects you then there’s no way of it not being awkward. Maybe you should just try and get closer to him as in get to know him more and hang out together outside of the sports club, probably he will ask you out first how do you know? Just do not do it by email, or by any form of social media. These things if they need to be said have to be done face to face. Hope it helps!
Well, why do you have to ask him out bluntly and in a direct way??! Just try to create a friendship between you too, an emotional connection... hang out in a non-romantic way at the very beginning, then see how it goes..
dunno if you already have his number/fb, and chat with him. If not, that's a first step :smile: then, idk, find an event or an activity or a restaurant that might interest him, and bring it in a conversation (-hi what's up? -i'm bored, thinking of going to the mall, but my friends are already busy)
Good luck !
Reply 5
Yes, go for the ambiguous date suggestion, its a much better option. 'Fancy a coffee later..?' In writing is an awful option, the wait after you send it is excruiating and the embarrassment if it doesnt work out is just as bad. The instant feedback is much better. Good luck.

Please don't send an email. Just ask if he would want to grab some food or a drink after training one day and see what he says.
Reply 7
Just to update everyone, I went against everything that you guys said and asked him out over email - one of my friends said just to go for it as she knew it was probably this or not at all! He replied after ages and I got friend-zoned :frown: - but i think we will be alright as he was nice about it and said we should meet up more outside of the sports club. I think when we first see each other will be a bit awkward but after a few mins of being back into training I feel like it will be fairly back to normal - hopefully!
Hey,

Firstly I just want to applaud you for being brave enough to even want to make the first move! So this dude seems to be super shy, I think maybe you should strengthen your friendship with him first. Just take the opportunity that he has given you and do more activities together (that sounded strange😂)... Anyways just take this as a good opportunity and be his friend you have nothing to loose! And over time he will warm up and you guys can be something more👍🏼

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending